1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

K & N VS MAF ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by george3, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Nov 21, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    george3

george3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    There have been a lot of post on MAF contamination from oil on the K & N air filter, as a matter of fact, that is why I used the afe pro dry s filter. If you have an interest in this subject you may enjoy this link

http://podcast.wor710.com/wor/2674104.mp3

The K & N interview is in the last half of the pod cast, just move the slide over.

2. Nov 21, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    Eurosport

Eurosport Well-Known Member

Member:
    around the world
    K&N is not the problem,
    it's the people that use them usually always over oil them that's what causing the problems with MAFs contamination.
    if you are carefully cleaning it and reoiling it properly it doesn't affect MAFs
    i have used them for many many years with not even one maf code.
    that being said, if you do contaminate the MAF, depending on the design you can easily clean it with a qtip, unless the sensor is really bad.

btw i switched to regular oem paper filters on all cars awhile ago, just got tired of the k&n maintenance procedure hah

3. Nov 21, 2010 at 9:30 PM
    huckyourmeat

huckyourmeat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR DC Silver
    Old 2010: Redline QL Plus hood struts, rcbs204 illuminated 4x4 switch, seatbelt chime off, cupholder mod, LED interior and license plate lights, trimmed front mudflaps, Fumoto oil drain valve, K&N Air Filter, Leer 100XR Mile High Edition, OME All Four Corners, Duratrac 265/75/16 Load E
    I understand the issue, but I had a K&N on my 1997 for 225,000 miles. I cleaned it more often than prescribed (every 10-25,000 miles) and always followed the directions. I never read or heard anything about over-oiling until about a year ago, so I pulled the MAF and looked at it. It looked clean, but I used QD electronics cleaner and cleaned according to instructions. It maybe knocked a little dirt off, but it didn't seem like it did much. Reinstalled and didn't notice a difference.

Bottom line...I followed directions and didn't have a problem. Sold the truck back to Toyota with 270,000 miles on it and never had a single problem with the engine or the MAF. However, with respect to the K&N/MAF, your mileage may vary (no pun intended).

4. Nov 21, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I've never had a problem with all the K&N's I've used. Follow the instructions on the cleaning/oiling kits and keep them cleaned on a regular basis.

Having a spare filter to put in the truck while you let the K&N fully dry - also helps. If the filter media is still wet, the oil can't wick into the material properly.

Products Discussed in

To Top