Notices

Banks Monter Exhaust

Old 11-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
It's a Toyota thing, Jeeps can't understand
silvertaco13 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
silvertaco13's Tacoma Gallery
Banks Monter Exhaust

Im now currently running a magnaflow muffler with magnaflow tip with stock piping and it sounds good but I've been looking at the Banks Monter Exhaust and Im thinking about upgrading to that. Let me know what you think or if you have it tell me what you think about it. thanks

Old 11-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
My buddy has it on his '06 Frontier and it's very loud. Alot of drone in cab, too loud for my taste.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
It is louder than the TRD and very well made, all stainless steel.
My son has it on his truck now.
Just too loud for me.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
jeremy.allen is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy.allen is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy.allen is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy.allen is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy.allen is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: STRIKE EAGLE CREW CHIEF 336AMU (WFFFFR), SJAFB, NC 2000-2004
Name: Jeremy
jeremy.allen's Tacoma Gallery
I've had it installed on my '07 for almost two years now. I like it but there is quite a bit of interior drone at highway speeds. There was someone on here who had a post where their banks muffler came apart from weak welds and I'm sure corrosion was a contributing factor. Overall, I am satisfied, but if you already have a magnaflow, I wouldn't spend the money on a new system.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
teej is on a distinguished road
teej's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.allen View Post
I've had it installed on my '07 for almost two years now. I like it but there is quite a bit of interior drone at highway speeds. There was someone on here who had a post where their banks muffler came apart from weak welds and I'm sure corrosion was a contributing factor. Overall, I am satisfied, but if you already have a magnaflow, I wouldn't spend the money on a new system.

i had a Banks on my Tundra and liked it a lot and i"m now trying to decide between Banks and TRD. i know it was a V8 but it sounded awesome.

The Banks has a lifetime warranty so i wouldn't worry about defects too much.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.allen View Post

That does suprise me!!!
The only parts not Stainless are the mounting rods which I just painted to keep them from rusting.
The rest of the welds and construction were very nice.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
URD 3 inch has no drone at highway speeds. or at least i cant hear it over tire whine.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I don't suggest a 3" exhaust to anyone who is not forced induction of some kind. But if you have to have it, I suggest going with the URD. Keep in mind that you will lose some noticeable low end power. Not a deal breaker necessarily, but noticeable.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I didn't lose too much low end. Well nothing that I can feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYR2VJGSH2o
Old 12-06-2010, 11:48 PM   #10
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
I just got done hanging a banks 3 inch cat back monster exhaust about a week ago along with a K&N cold air intake. As far as install, you'd be a dope to pay someone to do this for you, it wasn't that hard, i put the right side of the truck up on ramps front and back. as for the power, yep, it's there i can go the same speeds but with lower RPMS (25 MPH @ 1100 RPMS, 65 MPH @ 1950 RPMs on flat land, no load no headwind), sound, well, you're never gonna think it's a V8, the tone is too reedy for that, has a nice low drone at idle, at freeway speed, yeah i can hear it, but ain't that the point (partly)? At full throttle it makes the whole truck vibrate. Personally, i don't mind hearing it at speed, besides i usually have the stereo turned up too loud to hear it anyways.

url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/121221/cat/500][/url]
Old 12-07-2010, 06:15 AM   #11
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I just got done hanging a banks 3 inch cat back monster exhaust about a week ago along with a K&N cold air intake. As far as install, you'd be a dope to pay someone to do this for you, it wasn't that hard, i put the right side of the truck up on ramps front and back. as for the power, yep, it's there i can go the same speeds but with lower RPMS (25 MPH @ 1100 RPMS, 65 MPH @ 1950 RPMs on flat land, no load no headwind), sound, well, you're never gonna think it's a V8, the tone is too reedy for that, has a nice low drone at idle, at freeway speed, yeah i can hear it, but ain't that the point (partly)? At full throttle it makes the whole truck vibrate. Personally, i don't mind hearing it at speed, besides i usually have the stereo turned up too loud to hear it anyways.
[/url]
So, adding an exhaust lowered your RPMs at highway speed??? Unless your torque converter isn't locking up, this is just not possible.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #12
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
So, adding an exhaust lowered your RPMs at highway speed??? Unless your torque converter isn't locking up, this is just not possible.

What I'm saying is that the engine is producing more power/torque which means that it doesnt require as high of RPMs to cruise at speed.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You actually most likely lost power at cruising speed... So this REALLY isn't possible now
Old 12-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertaco13 View Post
Im now currently running a magnaflow muffler with magnaflow tip with stock piping and it sounds good but I've been looking at the Banks Monter Exhaust and Im thinking about upgrading to that. Let me know what you think or if you have it tell me what you think about it. thanks

I have the same setup as you and I LOVE the sound. Mines pretty throaty and sounds perfect in my honest opinion. Stay with that bro. The BANKS will sound like hell in the cab.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What I'm saying is that the engine is producing more power/torque which means that it doesnt require as high of RPMs to cruise at speed.
Changing your exhaust will not affect your drive ratios... You may be able to produce more power at a lower RPM, but that will not allow you go the same speed at a lower RPM.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #16
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Still not possible. Assuming that the torque converter is locked up, the only thing that will affect your same speed (65) RPMs are tranny gear ratio, rear axle ratio and/or tire height. Doesn't matter if you are gaining or lowering power.

Now, you may have less throttle input necessary at a certain speed if you've gained power, but RPMs will remain the same..
Old 12-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
You actually most likely lost power at cruising speed... So this REALLY isn't possible now
i disagree, it gained power at speed, i can tell because there are grades that i would set the cruise control on and before the tranny would downshift, now it doesnt have to, or if it used to downshift to three, now it only downshifts to four, throttle response is improved too. i've read dozens of posts about intakes and exhausts here but i know my truck like i know my own body, off-the line has more torque, it's overall improved mid-band, but it really screams higher in the band, you cant help but notice the difference. i'd say it was worth the investment for sure. my next question is thinking about headers and cats, i'm in cali, which is a wonderfully repressive smog reg state, street legal headers? possible? worth it? I don't want to have to take them off when i go to smog it. other thoughts, remapping, benefits? I think it the tacos are a little under powered for the weight of the vehicle coming from the factory, the exhaust helped a lot but i think it can do better, sure i'd love to strap on a supercharger but i don't have that kind of money to drop, besides, you'd have to do headers and exhaust for an SC anyways.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Really there is no way to tell just by driving. The only real way to test for power is on a dyno with a before and after mod run. I honestly can spin my tires very quickly the few times I did a brake stand. Yes TRAC is off and my other mod is a TRD intake.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #19
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
5hp from an exhaust probably wont't be noticed, throttle response..yes but actual "screaming power" gains, no. when i did headers and urd maf that wa the only thing that i noticed a difference with.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #20
Vivid Illumination

Short tube headers are the only legal ones in cali. You will notice it I am sure, though you'll still have the restriction of the front cats. To my defense about the the whole low end loss thing... Check out some dyno sheets. You will see losses down low and bigger gains up top... That's just the nature of opening up an exhaust system. Trust me, mine is wide open haha. And you may have power in different places, that I don't know.