Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Did I get a Lemon?

Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
ShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant future

ShiftGear's Tacoma Gallery
Did I get a Lemon?

Im pretty pissed. I love Tacoma's..

First one was an 06 TRD OFF ROAD.. I put on 120,000 kms in 3 years, Did everything possibly imaginable in that truck and NOT A SINGLE THING went wrong.... Oil change/filter and regular dealership maintenance.. that's it...

Now I have a 2010 TRD Sport...

-Leaf springs needed changing, one side was drastically lower then the other side
-Did the Leaf Spring TSB at the same time
-Every month it gets lubricated/squeeky suspension
-at 20,00 KMS, tempeture gauge and compass went out
-at 23,000 KMS the fan motor needed to be replaced because it was squeeky
-at 33,000 KMS windshield wiper motor was replaced
-at 37,000 KMS the seals on the roof were peeling off, especially at highway speeds and those were changed..
-I did after market rotors/pads now because the stock ones warped to easy

and now... to top it all OFF: This morning when I went to turn on the truck... The headlights and foglights dont work at all but the highbeams do. I made a thread here...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...dont-work.html

If any of you guys have any insight comment there...

I love toyotas, I love tacomas, I'll probably keep my truck until 2015 and then buy the newer version tacoma.. I'm just saying I expected better quality..
Old 11-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
philobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant futurephilobeddoe has a brilliant future

Name: - philo
philobeddoe's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to philobeddoe
you may have gotten a lemon
Old 11-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Bummer, maybe should have got another off road? My 2010 is nearly perfect... as was my 2001... The 2005 had a few issues, but not as bad as what you are going through!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Workman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, I would be so bummed if my new truck was having these types of issues already! I havent had any issues with mine yet, 75k, but would flip out as I'm sure you have over a new pickup going in and out of the shop so many times..especially a Toyota!!!!!

^^^And maybe you should have got the offroad. We all know how superior they are in quality compared to sports and base models
Old 11-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Dang sorry to hear all the bad news. Maybe you did just end up with a lemon. Good luck to you!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
My truck leans... I thought it was due to the gas tank.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Bummer, maybe should have got another off road? My 2010 is nearly perfect... as was my 2001... The 2005 had a few issues, but not as bad as what you are going through!
It's not a lemon , it's a Sport

Whatever
Old 11-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #8
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
strange. It happens though. I wouldn't compare these vehicles to toyotas as well. They're fine.. but not quite like they were, and they have the statistics to back that up now-a-days.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
why did you get rid of the 2006 if it was working out so well for you?
Old 11-23-2010, 01:44 AM   #10
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't really call that a lemon. In fact some of those issues are pretty minor.

But I do agree that Toyota's qualitly is slipping big time

I only got 26000km's and these are my problems to date...
Oxygen sensor need replacing
Driver side window fell out in middle of winter
Broken leaf spring
Very noisey leaf springs
Knock in front end on gravel roads
fan motor squeeky
Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
So he can add broken rear diff to the list ?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #12
ShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant future

ShiftGear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
why did you get rid of the 2006 if it was working out so well for you?
I got engaged, getting married soon. I had the TRD OFF -ROAD Access Cab... Not big enough when we have kids, which will happen. I wanted the 4 door off road but the wait was 4 weeks for one, I needed to get rid of my lease and they only had the Sport in stock....
Old 11-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had a problem with my 2010. I did have the rear springs TSB done.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing that you had happen that others have not had happen often is the brakes. More to do with driving style then the rotors. The other shit although odd is actually pretty easy fix. It not like if you trade it in on a new one that same crap cannot show up. First thing they said to me when I bought mine is the temp gauge compass goofs up sometimes. I was still on the lot. It's never goofed up but it's a easy fix if and when it ever does happen to me. Can't help about the springs. Blame Ford and there stupid assed commercial about Tacoma's rough ride comparison. They only do the full spring package here in this country. At least you have a TSB on it.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:53 AM   #15
thombiz has a spectacular aura aboutthombiz has a spectacular aura about
thombiz's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious, was your problem truck made in California or in Tijuana? When looking for a used Tacoma for a friend, almost all the used ones setting on the dealer lots were made in Tijuana.

Spelling of Tijuana corrected.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #16
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thombiz View Post
Just curious, was your problem truck made in California or in Tiajuana? When looking for a used Tacoma for a friend, almost all the used ones setting on the dealer lots were made in Tiajuana.
Toyota de Baja California is not 'in' Tijuana (not "Tiajuana")... but along the highway about half way between Tijuana and Tecate. My 2010 Baja built Taco is doing great... my '05 was built in California and had some issues.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #17
goride has a spectacular aura aboutgoride has a spectacular aura aboutgoride has a spectacular aura about
Name: Josh
goride's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear all that,my issues to date are stock jbl system failure, rear leaf tsb, brake rotor and pad problems on two occasions now, shifting issues(fixed by tsb), Im on my 2nd blower motor (last time they put a new insulation kit on it) it still squeaks,Front diff bearing failure which caused them to replace the whole front drivers side axle(I go in monday because it is having the same problems again) and they are looking at the steering shaft tsb because there is issues there.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #18
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone has a larger grocery list than this, I'd like to see it...

- Rear leaf TSB (replaced leaf pack due to excessive bottoming)

- Torn front mud flaps replaced (design flaw with '05 flaps)
- Air Conditioning compressor replaced (bit the bullet)
- Front bumper TSB (new aluminum cross member due to design flaw)
- Exhaust Manifold TSB (new manifolds due to exhaust ticking)
- Two oxygen sensors (facked during exhaust manifold TSB)
- Rear actuator replaced for the locking diff (locker wouldn't engage)
- Rear locking actuator position transfer switch replaced on two separate occasions (located on rear axle)
- Four new Aluminum rims (peeling, bubbling finish)
- Blown out front Bilstein shock (replaced with Bilstein 5100's on my dime)
- Two rear side axle seals replaced (leaked gear oil in rear drums)
- Rear brake shoes and drums replaced due to contamination from leaking side axle seals
- Two rear mud flaps torn (replaced on my dime)
- Rack and pinion replaced (worn internal bushings - clunking noise)
- Lower control arms and ball joints replaced (worn)
- New alignment cams installed due to seizure
- Replaced rear shocks due to bad seals / leaking fluid.
- Front left caliper replaced (seizure)
- Front brake pads replaced due to seized caliper
- New hinges on drivers door (worn pins/bushings)
- Heater / AC control box replaced
- Replaced front sway bar bushings (worn and knocking)
- Replaced inner/outer CV joint boots (torn)
- Broke a rear leaf on the drivers side (replaced on my dime).
- Fabricate my own leaf spring clamps to keep my leafs from moving laterally from each other and causing a massive clunking noise (clunk is back again)
- Front right wheel bearing replaced
- Front right brake caliper replaced (seizure)
- Front brake pads replaced again due to seized caliper
- Another aluminum rim replaced under warranty (this is the 5th one).
- Replaced all 24 aluminum caped OEM lug nuts with solid steel (chrome) OEM Toyota lug nuts (aluminum caps were falling off and disfigured).
- Front left wheel bearing replaced.
- Neutral position switch on auto transmission failed.
- Control arms and ball joints replaced for second time.
- New gasket to repair leaking transfer case.
- Front right wheel bearing replaced again after just 11 months of use.
- Replaced another broken rear leaf spring.
- Drive belt broke due to seized idler pulley, replaced three idler pulleys and the drive belt.
- Front main engine oil seal (crankshaft seal) leaking engine oil – replaced.
- Air conditioning line corroded beneath rubber bracket. Replaced AC line and recharged system.
- U joint in steering intermediate shaft developed significant amount of play. Replaced intermediate shaft.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #20
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Holy crap Fortech

I don't feel quite so bad about my transmission TSB and dash rattle TSB now, actually.