Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

RED top optuim or block heater

Old 11-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
bcanders is on a distinguished road
bcanders's Tacoma Gallery
RED top optuim or block heater

I live in Washington and we are having a pretty cold winter. -20 this morning. Should I get a block heater or a red top battery ? I noticed in the morning it takes two turns of the key to get my new 2011 truck to start. First attempt it does not want to start. Second attempt it starts. What would you do? Thanks
Old 11-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcanders View Post
I live in Washington and we are having a pretty cold winter. -20 this morning. Should I get a block heater or a red top battery ? I noticed in the morning it takes two turns of the key to get my new 2011 truck to start. First attempt it does not want to start. Second attempt it starts. What would you do? Thanks
That new, I'd go for the block heater. Your battery shouldn't be having issues on a 2011 truck. If it is, I'd have a chat with the dealer. I'd also keep the battery on the top of the list of future upgrades if you're consistantly in that cold of a climate.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Di Trut has a spectacular aura aboutDi Trut has a spectacular aura about

Di Trut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcanders View Post
without a doubt get a block heater installed...i can't believe you don't have one already!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
If it starts at -20 on the second try I'de forget about both of your choices. Might consider a synethic oil, as the main and rod bearings might be starving for oil at that temp.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Di Trut has a spectacular aura aboutDi Trut has a spectacular aura about

Di Trut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
If it starts at -20 on the second try I'de forget about both of your choices. Might consider a synethic oil, as the main and rod bearings might be starving for oil at that temp.
he should DEFINITELY have a block heater. you'd be stupid not to have one in that climate.

synthetic oil is another good thing to have for a cold climate.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the Wolverine heaters. I have been thinking of getting one. Keeps the oil itself from getting so thick when cold.