1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

It happened to me (unintended acceleration)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Haja4eva, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Nov 24, 2010 at 3:17 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    Not saying he's right or wrong.

But the term "TROLL" does come to mind.

2. Nov 24, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    you can test 100 gas pedals and throttle systems with no failure. spray them with salt water for 5-6 years (op is in mass? so salt water from melted snow on shoes, etc) and the results may be different...

3. Nov 24, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
  4. Nov 24, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    and some test company cant be paid off and LIE that they found no issues...

5. Nov 24, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    theres still reports about it... just because its not the hot topic for the news to keep reporting it doesnt meant it doesnt happen anymore...

the dealer near my house in NY actually had all of the cars (in the recall) on the lot sent back to toyota. that tells me it wasnt just a little gas pedal trimming/ simple fix.

6. Nov 24, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  7. Nov 24, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Fuck that the only person to cut shit on my truck is gonna be me. NO PEDAL CHOP

8. Nov 24, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I don't understand why the OP bought another one if they lost faith :confused:
    No idea why it happened, sorry to hear it happened, looks like you got a nice new 2011 life is pretty good. :)

9. Nov 24, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/etc-webinar-videos.aspx

I'd say the system is too redundant to not be recorded on the computer. Like if there was a fault it would be recorded.

So the only thing left is a big foot on the gas when the person thinks it's on the brakes. Or something pushing on the gas like the mats. Can't be on both pedals at once cause more then 1/4 throttle would cut fuel to idle and the brake would take over.

Video 4 is the interesting one. It's about how different failures of the system work.

Have you ever actually seen somebody stomp on the gas by mistake? They will insist they never did it. Sucks but it did not happen like the OP is trying to make out. It's not magic. They thought about all the possible fails and took care of them in the design. When this first hit the news my first theory was loss of signal. Well that's been taken care of. They though of that one too. Normally this is how a system like this fails, loss of signal. If the signal is lost on one both or anything it's cuts power to the output. It simply cannot happen like described. This is actually a superior design form ones I worked on. Most systems like this really do not have much of a fail safe system built in. This one does. Even if you actually cut into the wires and tried to goof it up that way by adding signals the only way you could possible duplicate it is if somehow you could have matched interference signals. Good luck on that one.

10. Nov 24, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Ha ha nope the other thing is computer hang, then no brake override would work and nothing would be logged. is it possible ? I am pretty sure it is. The question is what would trigger computer hang.
    So I am not so quick about dismissing the whole story because part of me (the software developer) knows that system hangs especially on small devices are possible. Ask my GPS that likes to do that when recalculating complex route.
    P.S. I think the only fix for all those problems would be to replace drive by wire with old fashion throttle control system. I am first one in line for that.:D

11. Nov 24, 2010 at 4:17 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    HAHAHAHA!

Seems like some of you have way too much time on your hands if you argue on this thread about the validity of companies, researchers, dealers, and owners.

WHO GIVES A SHIT!!!?????

12. Nov 24, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    I would not think that could work. Computer hang causing the outputs to go high. The entire truck runs on software so if only the throttle went high what software is running the truck? You'd think it would flood and stall. If that was possible they could duplicate that happening. Nobody has managed to do that yet. The timing is controlled by the computer so if it dies it's stalling.

Cable? My old truck had that and it did the same thing several times over it's life. It's almost more likely to happen. If it failed in such a way that all outputs went high, the injectors are also controlled by this system. I just can't see how it could stay running. What would happen to the engine if all the injectors when full wide open and not even turning off for the exhaust stroke. Could it actually stay running? I don't see how. Thing is what does happen though is the computer records throttle position. Now if that data was missing they would know there is a problem right there by it's lack of being recorded. How much you want to bet it's there and shows almost full throttle and no brake ?

So what exactly are they going to say to the guy that owns the truck? They know exactly what happened but he is having none of that.

13. Nov 24, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    FWIW , I thought this issue had been put to bed long ago , and that no connection was found between the unintended acceleration and anything other than driver error .

Which is what I beleive to be the case .

14. Nov 24, 2010 at 4:43 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    It has been put to rest. It simply cannot happen the way people are claiming. There is always one though. Hence he started this post.

15. Nov 24, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    injectors are more likely to be on separate loop and ECU only changes data in the table from which loop takes data. So main ECU hanging would not affect that since table contains limp mode data.

Throttle has default position to be fully open atleast thats what it looks like in FSM So if computer hangs Injectors will still run because they are on own loop but because ECU no longer tells throttle how much should be open, throttle will go to default position which is fully open.

Hang ECU would render OBD II system incapable recording anything, and brake override would not engage either because input from brake system at that point would not go anywhere.

brake override would only work if Toyota bypassed main computer and plug in directly into the throttle with cut off (actually cut in to move throttle to close position)

Now, unless somebody gets source code from Toyota there is no way to know for sure but I would guess all those Toyota engineers and NASA guys looked over those things. :)
    However that's the only logical explanation if one assumes there was literally no user fault. That would also eplain why shuting down and startng trucks resets the condition. If it was mat stuck then starting the truck would result in RPMS going high again. If it is hang then shutting down simply turns off the ECU then ON just like powering computer off and ON resets the hang.

16. Nov 24, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    100% agree! The OP doesn't even care! He hasn't even come back. He's probably having a good laugh!:rolleyes:

17. Nov 24, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Thing is the injectors are actually controlled by the same system and loss of signal turns them off. You have to see Video 4 I posted to see how it's all set up. It's not the ECU telling how much to open the throttle the ECU actually does that job. If the position is not the same as what it required of the motor driving it the injectors turn off.

My point was if there was no record of the full throttle as described by the driver record on the OBD II system then they would know it was not recorded and they could figure out what steps would have to occurred for it not to record it. Even flaming wrecks recorded it.

If the signal had not been recorded in all of theses cases that would definitely pointed to a problem don't you think?

18. Nov 25, 2010 at 1:51 AM
    SubFrozen

SubFrozen r00t

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Sandy, UT
    Vehicle:
    2007 Taco SR5 V6
    3" OME Heavy Duty Lift, 18" Chrome Rimes, ARB Front Bumper, K&N Cold Air Intake
    I have a fix for this. Drive with both feet! I do, and as long as you can multi-task and practice brake vs gas slamming, you're golden. Goes for a manual and automatic, with the manual, your feet multi-task for your gas/brake/clutch multitasking. ;-)

Multi-functional driving. If you can text, read, and drive with your knee all at the same time, why not with both feet, too?

19. Nov 25, 2010 at 3:11 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    I don't know about driving with both feet. If your used to it maybe but I would not recommend it. This may be one of the reasons that this type event happens in the first place.

One thing we do know though. Entire cars and trucks where forensically audited. Teams of people looking at absolutely everything is excruciating detail trying to figure out a system where this process could be duplicated. Nothing was found be it a set of failures or other circumstances. Yes true a mat can get caught up in the pedal and actually could happen on any car or truck regardless of the manufacturing type. Other than that there is really nothing that has ever been found that can cause this situation other than pedal interference or driver error. Even independent experts that studied this problem could not find a failure that could duplicate it.

20. Nov 25, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    cinch

cinch Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    Was happening to me all the time. The pedals are too close together.

Products Discussed in

To Top