1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice needed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Koov, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Nov 24, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    Koov

Koov [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRDOR
    I am debating between a 2010 TRD Sport 4x4 or 2010 TRD OR 4x4. What are the main differences? 98% DD and occasional logging roads. Snow and rain in Northwest also.
    Any advice appreciated.

2. Nov 24, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    Tacomada

Tacomada Well-Known Member

Member:
    TBC - Canadiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    hmm seems to me the main differences are the sport has 17 inch wheels, a 6ft box and the shocks have a dif setting (noticable?)

the offroad has 16 inch wheels, a 5ft box (double cab), rear diff lock, atrac and hac/dac for auto trans.

for 98% on road and 2% logging road the sport is probably fine.. that said I just recently got the off road and a/trac and the locker make for a a good time.

3. Nov 24, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    spamy

spamy Truck guy

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    In addition to what was mentioned, the sport has color matched bumpers and body stuff like that. Also I think the Off road has the two piece skid plate and some other off road armor like a gas tank skid plate.

4. Nov 25, 2010 at 1:37 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    They are almost solely appearance packages. I do like the seats and wheels on both models..

Much ado about nothing really. If you are looking to do the pointless tearing up the countryside off roading, maybe consider the difference. But for real world. Neither package will offer much more than the base in real world getting from point A-B. I think the LSS (its not a differential gear, its a system) is worth having, but maybe not worth paying for.

We all got along with open diffs for decades just fine. I've never had one on a 4x4 before, and I've never gotten stuck ever (in a 4x4).. oh wait.. I did have a spool in a jeep..

You make much bigger difference than any of those doo dads do. If you can't keep an open diff truck from getting stuck, having A-Trac will just get you stuck farther in. Maybe you'd end up piling some rocks in front of a gutter that somone with A-trac would be able to get over without blocking a wheel. But, just get out and do it.. and dang the con sarn auto hubs..

I've got the sport and just drove the Off road in the same 6 speed access cab (same color even) today and the off road was bumpier. But not so much that it would make me hate it. Its a truck and the road manners are already bad enough, so, if I had it to do over again, I'd still get the sport.

5. Nov 25, 2010 at 1:43 AM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    the sport comes in a long bed and short bed, the OR just a short bed. OR comes in OR tuned suspension, the sport has a more comfier sportier ride

6. Nov 25, 2010 at 5:33 AM
    canadiancon

canadiancon Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Whistler, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 trd
    Stock

Really?? If you have ever been stuck you have never really been "4x4ing" a locked vehicle can make the difference, not just get you stuck more, ever been rock crawling? mud? snow? I was just out 4x4ing with a buddy, he had a rubicon locked front and rear, i had my truck locked in the rear, he out performed my truck big time due to having a front locker, and the guy with open diffs couldnt keep up.

7. Nov 25, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    Eurosport

Eurosport Well-Known Member

Member:
    around the world
    if you do a search of trd sport vs trd offroad you can enjoy reading and not starting another retarded thread

8. Nov 25, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    NorthwestRC

NorthwestRC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rachelle
    Prince Rupert, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Sport MGM
    Dealer installed 3"lift/levelling kit,side-step bars,window visors,D-rings in box,
    :) so i went with the TRD Sport but the Offroad is only offered on the Acces cab here in Canada and i wanted a DblC...plus with spending this kind of $$$ on a truck not alot of crazy offroading for me anyway..i have a 85 Toyota pickup for that type of stuff!;)

9. Nov 26, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    Koov

Koov [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRDOR

I am looking for a DBL cab. I need the space. Only reason I am debating the 4x4 is the snow we get. Not much snow, but in Seattle, we get some snow. Maybe 5-10 days a year.

10. Nov 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    So far I survived with my PreRunner this last snow storm we had.

Products Discussed in

To Top