Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is this a inner or outer Tie Rod?

Old 11-25-2010, 05:51 AM   #1
r00t
SubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to behold

Army: Prior Service
Name: William
SubFrozen's Tacoma Gallery
Is this a inner or outer Tie Rod?

When replacing my CV Axles, I popped this baby out, then broke the boot trying to get it back on, and messed up the threads. It's on, but not completely, which means at any time it'll come flying off, causing me to go careening out of control on the freeway. Is this an inner or outer tie rod end, and, what's a good replacement? Also, what the heck tool do I use to get it back on, it just spins and spins and spins.

*Edit -I really don't know what part it is.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, sway bar end link. You could use a needle nose vice grip to keep it from spinning.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
r00t
SubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Yes, sway bar end link. You could use a needle nose vice grip to keep it from spinning.
Tried, slipped, broke the boot.

Alright, sway bar end link. Time to find a new one, any suggestions?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubFrozen View Post
Tried, slipped, broke the boot.

Alright, sway bar end link. Time to find a new one, any suggestions?
I had the same problem. You have to use needle nose vice grips, not enough room for regular vice grips. I broke the boot too, just hit the crack with some rubber sealant. Sway bars are a non-critical component, I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you really want, you could get a new end link for pretty cheap.

I had a Ford Ranger that had a sway bar end link fall off and I drove it like that for thousands of miles.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have one or both tires off the ground? Cause I remember that bastard spinning too. In the end I remember putting one or both tires on the ground, (Just one I think) and that causes the sway bar to torque putting pressure on the link and the spindle which stops it from spinning.

That and an Impact wrench fixed that fucker good.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure why you guys are using pliers, and such. THe end links have a hole on the end of the threadded shaft that accepts a 5mm (iirc) hex wrench to hold it from turning.

Attached Thumbnails
Is this a inner or outer Tie Rod?-sway-bar-001.jpg  
Old 11-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
GSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Ron
GSRON's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Not sure why you guys are using pliers, and such. THe end links have a hole on the end of the threadded shaft that accepts a 5mm (iirc) hex wrench to hold it from turning.

Stop clouding the issue with facts.........
Old 11-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
I had the same problem. You have to use needle nose vice grips, not enough room for regular vice grips. I broke the boot too, just hit the crack with some rubber sealant. Sway bars are a non-critical component, I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you really want, you could get a new end link for pretty cheap.

I had a Ford Ranger that had a sway bar end link fall off and I drove it like that for thousands of miles.
The handling is significantly different between a vehicle with a sway bar attached and one without one or with one disconnected.

It may not be critical in a straight line, but it can be critical if you are doing fancy avoidance maneuvers.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #10
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Someone posted before me and told yah! If I was the first one to see this post I couldn't tell you. Not familiar with the newer tacomas.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
r00t

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
If you dont know the difference between them..should you be messing with them at all? Just a thought

Bah, where's your sense of adventure? There's always room for more knowledge by messing stuff up
Old 11-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I figure, but I just get mocked for it.

BTW, tranny fluid isn't coolant isn't oil. Just FYI.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
If you dont know the difference between them..should you be messing with them at all? Just a thought
I dont think you need to know the name of a part, in order to remove it.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
^ lol