Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2011 v6, sounds like an exhaust leak under acceleration

Old 11-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
2011 v6, sounds like an exhaust leak under acceleration

i'm assuming this is normal, since i've found others that have asked about this elsewhere, but i just wanted to run it by you guys here to see if anyone else has this sound goin' on.

the truck is brand new, literally, and when i took off from the lot, i was like wow, it sounds like a little exhaust leak on the passenger side under acceleration. but then i noticed at idle, when standing outside, both sides of the engine are pretty tappy at the manifolds so it probably has to do with the stamping of the manifolds, thin wall or something.

it's a truck, so i don't expect it to necessary sound like a sedan, but it did surprise me a bit. i'm pretty anal and it doesn't really bother me for some reason :shrugs:

any input is appreciated though ; )
Old 11-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Bring it back and have them look at it?
Old 11-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettb View Post
Bring it back and have them look at it?
i probably will, we'll see. like i said i researched it a bit before posting this and it seems it is pretty common with no real problem or resolution to said mystery sound. if i didn't find anything else about this i probably would be more alarmed.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
yea. the aluminum engine can transmit a lot of noise. It does kind of seem exhaustleakesque when accelerating near a wall. But its just reflected noise.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:02 AM   #5
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I wondered about that as well. I run with the I4 and wondered if something was wrong with the exhaust when I got it. Quit worrying about it about a day afterwards and have really enjoyed the sound since then.

Pulled another 08 Tacoma into the garage this week, I4/Access Cab and it had the same sound.

I was at the gas station yesterday, heard a vehicle start up, turned around to find the Taco I knew was pulling away from the pump.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
See if you can get a new gasket installed? maybe the tech who installed it didn't torque your sh*t properly when they installed the exhaust?
Old 11-27-2010, 05:13 AM   #7
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I'm surprised you guys don't hear something like that during your test drive. I know I would never accept a vehicle with that dramatic an engine noise. None of the other Toyota vehicles have this right? Why does the Tacoma have to be the lucky one? My stepsons '10 Highlander is so frikkin quiet you would think it was electric. I would at least demand an answer-hell at least a theory from the boobs at the dealer as to what exactly it is!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
frano is on a distinguished road
frano's Tacoma Gallery
My 2011 V6 has what I thought was an exhaust manifold leak under acceleration on the right side. The truck now has 1,000 miles on it and the noise seems to be getting less as the miles rack up. I thought I'd talk to the dealer to get their opinion.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I'm surprised you guys don't hear something like that during your test drive. I know I would never accept a vehicle with that dramatic an engine noise. None of the other Toyota vehicles have this right? Why does the Tacoma have to be the lucky one? My stepsons '10 Highlander is so frikkin quiet you would think it was electric. I would at least demand an answer-hell at least a theory from the boobs at the dealer as to what exactly it is!
Toyota spends a little more money in the NVH department on their cars and crossover vehicles, than they do on the trucks.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
all my toyotas have been fairly clackety on the engine noise. I've never thought of owning a "luxury car" so I can't say as I know if they are capable of making a quiet car.. BUt I have owned toyotas from 72-2010 and all are kind of clackey.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it too. There's a TSB on it, not sure if your 2011 will have the updated parts (exhaust manifolds?) automatically or not. To me it just sounds like a noisy import engine without self adjusting lifters. Just the nature of the beast.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Then why does my 2001 not have this problem? Seems to me this is a 2nd gen flaw that IMO is bullcrap to accept for the money you pay for these trucks. Seems to me that you guys are cutting Toyota a TON of slack. I have even heard this noise coming out of 1st-gen V8 Tundras around here too. It sounds like sh*t to my ears because it wrecks the beautiful V8 sound. Anyways I guess if it dont bother you and it doesnt hurt anything then whatever. It bugs me because I may want another Tacoma one day and this would stop me.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Then why does my 2001 not have this problem? Seems to me this is a 2nd gen flaw that IMO is bullcrap to accept for the money you pay for these trucks. Seems to me that you guys are cutting Toyota a TON of slack. I have even heard this noise coming out of 1st-gen V8 Tundras around here too. It sounds like sh*t to my ears because it wrecks the beautiful V8 sound. Anyways I guess if it dont bother you and it doesnt hurt anything then whatever. It bugs me because I may want another Tacoma one day and this would stop me.
Cast iron block vs. all aluminum block. Yours still ticks, but its not as noticable as on the 1GR engine.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
MiG-21 superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Tacoma tick, normal.
haha, "tacoma tick", i like that!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Toyota tic

The older ones do it, the 3.4 does it and my 06 4-runner does it.
Mine doesn't. No tackytacotick here whatsoever.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #17
Michaeltb9509 is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Mike
Michaeltb9509's Tacoma Gallery
Just picked up a 2011 Tacoma Access Cab - TRD Off Road. Been back to the dealer already to complaing of the ticking noise while idling. So just searching and googling and now a member of this site, I guess the"Toyota Tick" is normal? My2004 never had sounded like a Timex Watch!!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltb9509 View Post
Just picked up a 2011 Tacoma Access Cab - TRD Off Road. Been back to the dealer already to complaing of the ticking noise while idling. So just searching and googling and now a member of this site, I guess the"Toyota Tick" is normal? My2004 never had sounded like a Timex Watch!!
Yeah it's normal...Your 2004 had a different engine.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #19
Woodsy211 is on a distinguished road

Woodsy211's Tacoma Gallery
480 miles and mine does the same thing. the 4.0 engines are noisey mofo`s
Old 05-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #20
leveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
leveltwo's Tacoma Gallery
put a flowmaster muffler on and you wont hear the engine as much...