1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission acting weird on Cold Days

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DheadTaco, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Nov 27, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    DheadTaco

DheadTaco [OP] Pill it till you kill it!

Member:
    Gulf Coast, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 Impulse Red Pearl
    -Color Matched Grill & Toyota emblem -Headlights from WOTM -Tinted Fogs with Lamin-x (Tint) -Tinted taillights with Lamin-x (Tint) -6K HIDs in headlights and fogs -20% tint all around -Plasti-dipped badges -Plasti-dipped back bumper -Mud flap mod -'10 running-boards -LEDs all around -AFE drop-in
    Hey guys, I live in south Mississippi so it does not get to cold down here. But, when it does, it seems like my transmission acts real weird. I have the V6 and its AT. After starting it and beginning to drive the transmission acts like its slipping and wants to hold higher RPM's. After driving for about 5 mins or so it stops and the transmission is fine, shifts strong, and makes power to the wheels. This is only on colder days. Anyone else notice this?

2. Nov 28, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    My truck is a manual trans so I can't offer any personal experience, but I know that some vehicles won't go into overdrive until warmed up. The trucks computer knows what temperature the coolant is at and it may be adjusting the shift points, disabling overdrive, unlocking the torque converter, etc.

As long as it's just something that you've noticed, and not a problem that significantly affects the driveability of the truck, then I think it's probably normal.

Hopefully someone with an auto trans will chime in and help you.

3. Nov 28, 2010 at 12:41 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm fairly sure the transmission shift logic is different during cold warmup than it is during regular driving.

4. Nov 29, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    DheadTaco

Member:
    Gulf Coast, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    -Color Matched Grill & Toyota emblem -Headlights from WOTM -Tinted Fogs with Lamin-x (Tint) -Tinted taillights with Lamin-x (Tint) -6K HIDs in headlights and fogs -20% tint all around -Plasti-dipped badges -Plasti-dipped back bumper -Mud flap mod -'10 running-boards -LEDs all around -AFE drop-in
    Yeah thats what i figured as well. May be. Bump

5. Nov 29, 2010 at 1:28 PM
    kdevoe

kdevoe Member

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    Don't worry about it. I had the same thing in my '99 and now I have it in my '09.
    I live in Massachusetts and when it get very cold it takes longer for it to get to normal. The only thing I do is drive normally and don't take it on the Highway until it's warmed up and shifting right, usually about 5-10 minutes @ 30 degrees F.

Kevin

6. Nov 29, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    its normal...ur truck has to warm up 1st...btw mine does it too

7. Nov 30, 2010 at 11:58 PM
    DheadTaco

Member:
    Gulf Coast, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys for the help. Just found that a little weird because usually every vehicle I haven't noticed that.

Products Discussed in

To Top