Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Camper shell sizing

Old 11-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
kyle3278 is on a distinguished road
kyle3278's Tacoma Gallery
Camper shell sizing

Just bought my first Taco! 07 4x4 4 cyl, 2.7 L AC. Low on cash right now so I'm wondering if I can find a used shell to work for the moment. Will shells off other trucks (s10, ranger, etc.) fit? My bed is 73.5x56.7. How exact does it have to be? Any help would be great, thanks.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to know this too. I mean I can measure any old shell on craigs list but are there other concerns?
Old 11-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
guys, be patient with craigslist and look for a shell that was made specifically for your truck... i've bought 2 camper shells off craigslist under $600 each and both Snugtops. These things retail at $1300+ base model. I also recommend getting it color matched vs painting it... too much hassle and $$$ IMO.

I literally had a routine to check every morning and night... i guess if you want something, you'll do what it takes. i searched (tacoma camper silver, tacoma camper, tacoma shell silver, tacoma shell) in all surrounding cities.

GL!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
RZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
RZRob's Tacoma Gallery
It needs to be specific due to the contours and height of the cab. Anything else would look ridiculous. Personally I liked the cab-height type like SnugTop etc., but my truck came with this taller unit. Now, I like it both for style and use and prefer it more. It would be difficult to access a roof rack without a ladder.

RZ Rob

Old 11-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle3278 View Post
Just bought my first Taco! 07 4x4 4 cyl, 2.7 L AC. Low on cash right now so I'm wondering if I can find a used shell to work for the moment. Will shells off other trucks (s10, ranger, etc.) fit? My bed is 73.5x56.7. How exact does it have to be? Any help would be great, thanks.
On late model Toyota trucks the difference I have found is whether you have a regular cab or extended or double cab. Extended and double cabs take the same canopy/shell. Regular cabs have a straighter cab at the back and won't accept a canopy from extended or double cab trucks. I bought my SnugTop for 600 bucks from a guy who made this mistake. Had mine color matched at Maaco for 200 bucks. The only way to know if other truck types are similar would be to speak with your local shell installer, but I fear you may not have much luck.

Best place I found to look for used canopy/shell is SearchTempest.com . This searchs by distance from your City or zip code. It searches Craigslist without having to click on each city in your area.
good luck in your search. Ken