Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Put Syn on my 1st Oil change, now want to change back to regular Oil ! ?!?

Old 11-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
moulin6801 is just really nicemoulin6801 is just really nicemoulin6801 is just really nicemoulin6801 is just really nice
moulin6801's Tacoma Gallery
Put Syn on my 1st Oil change, now want to change back to regular Oil ! ?!?

Hey guys, I switch to Syn oil on my first oil change, and I was charged extra $38 for it. I am supposed to have FREE oil change for 2 years on my new 2010 TRD.
It sucks, I may as well go to a lub place if I want to pay for it.. ( I don't change my own oil).
My question is this. I want to actually use the Free oil change, and go back to regular oil. Will it be harmful for my engine???
I am sure the TOYOTA dealer will say it is, since it will cut on their profit. But what do you all say!??
Thanks
Old 11-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, won't hurt a thing. After the 2 years are up its a very easy job to do yourself. Just don't drain the transmission fluid by accident. No joke, its happened alot.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard once you go full synthetic you can't go back...not from the dealer but from friends etc...
Old 11-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
ya, it goes the other way around too.

Older vehicles that have run dino oils for yrs may have swollen seals due to the level of impurities in the dino oil........Then the owner tries syn, and the stuffs got less impurities, and the seals do not swell up anymore.......Boom, now they have leaks and blame the synthetics for it
ah haaaaaaaaa!
Old 11-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
sooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nice
sooner02r1's Tacoma Gallery
It will be fine. These toyota V6s would probably run on tractor oil. I prefer Mobil 1 myself, and refuse to pay a bonehead to change it, it only takes about 15 minutes to do once you get your system down, it's really easy.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
ya, it goes the other way around too.

Older vehicles that have run dino oils for yrs may have swollen seals due to the level of impurities in the dino oil........Then the owner tries syn, and the stuffs got less impurities, and the seals do not swell up anymore.......Boom, now they have leaks and blame the synthetics for it
I agree. I have had this exact experience with an older truck. Changed to synthetic, rear main started leaking after about 5K miles. Changed back to dino, no problems, no more leaks.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
kickers15l5 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kile
kickers15l5's Tacoma Gallery
the dealer told me it had to be done at the dealership or it would void my waranty. is that true
Old 11-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Did you really think switching to syntethic oil was going to be free of charge?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickers15l5 View Post
the dealer told me it had to be done at the dealership or it would void my waranty. is that true
No ...... you'll be fine.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
chacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
chacotaco's Tacoma Gallery
You need to use dino oil in the beginning becasue the piston rings need a little bit of friction to seat themselves properly. If that doesn't happen then you will have issues down the line.
I started with dino, then went to Valvoline dura-blend for 4 years. Now I'm running Mobil 1 full synthetic.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem on my first oil change so I brought my own oil with me so I wouldn't pay stupid prices for synthetic at the dealership. Now I drop the truck off with the oil and they do all "servicing" and put the oil I choose in the truck without charging me 7 or 8 dollars a quart.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure it's against the law to tell a customer they HAVE to go to the Dealership for routine maintenance. Keep ALL (I MEAN ALL) receipts of stuff done elsewhere or at home and you're ok. You must do ALL services listed in the maintenance schedule, or the manufacturer can void your warranty, but you cannot be told where to have the stuff done. But, if there IS an issue later, they will ask for proof of services to show proper maintenance. I've had portions of customers' vehicle warranties voided when they come in at 80k with no records of trans fluid changes and a new tranny is needed. If there's a question of what paperwork to keep- KEEP IT ALL! There's a "convenience factor" in going to the dealer- it's all right there, it's all OEM stuff, and sometimes they may find something to fix while the car is still covered. But, it's always more expensive. I've had customers deal with my place until the warranty ends just b/c we keep all records and such, and we're $5 more than Jiffy Lube while using OEM Filters and gaskets and such. But really- it's YOUR decision, not the dealers'.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
There is really no reason you can't switch back and forth at will. Run non-synth for 10,000 miles and then switch to synthetic. No big deal. Run for another 10,000 and then switch back. No big deal.

Engines will be cleaner on synthetic, yes. I've seen it. You might get some minor seal seeping switching a long-time non-synth engine to synthetic. The chance of developing a major leak or major problem switching back and forth is seriously exaggerated. The only engines I would even be concerned about that issue on would be very old engines (which means old, stiff seals) that already leak.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #15
southpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to behold
southpier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacotaco View Post
You need to use dino oil in the beginning becasue the piston rings need a little bit of friction to seat themselves properly. If that doesn't happen then you will have issues down the line.
I started with dino, then went to Valvoline dura-blend for 4 years. Now I'm running Mobil 1 full synthetic.

i just had my 2-011 V6 oil changed at the dealers @ 700 miles. he put in 5w-20w dino. the manual says 5w-30w. i want to believe he knows more than me, or am i getting boned?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
moulin6801 is just really nicemoulin6801 is just really nicemoulin6801 is just really nicemoulin6801 is just really nice
moulin6801's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys thanks for the replies! I will be switching to regular oil, since is free for the next few oil changes, later back to syn oil.
Looking at Mobil 1 website, they state that is ok to switch back and forth, except old models...
Cheers!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #17
smitty4853 is on a distinguished road
smitty4853's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpier View Post
i just had my 2-011 V6 oil changed at the dealers @ 700 miles. he put in 5w-20w dino. the manual says 5w-30w. i want to believe he knows more than me, or am i getting boned?
I don't think so. A lot of 5W-30's shear down to 20 weight in a short time. Most 20's are well built oils. Unless you drive like there's no tomorrow, don't lose any sleep over it.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #18
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
You want to switch back to dino because of the price??? You realize the selling price is also justified by a little longer oil mileage right? The dealerships will never reccommend going longer, and you know why.... but I change my synth every 6-7, depending on how busy I am. I also run a larger filter too... I believe its the 4Runner filter or something, forgot.

Mobil 1 Full synth
Old 12-24-2010, 04:14 AM   #19
Potomac30 is on a distinguished road
Potomac30's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to go with the conventional (dino) oil for the free oil changes for 25k miles and then I'm going to stay with dino for my 5k mile oil changes after that. I don't believe that synthetic oil is worth the money for a 5k mile oil change interval and I'm not going with extended drains due to warranty.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #20
Paulie is on a distinguished road
Name: Paulie
Paulie's Tacoma Gallery
Why? Amsoil will save you money.