1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Ding :'-(

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by slmgt, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Jan 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    slmgt

slmgt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    I realize that they are basically going to 'tap out the dent' and I'm sure I could try it on my own, but I'd rather have professionals do it as they have the right tools and know-how. If I did it and messed up, it would only irritate me more.

I don't expect it to be perfect, just better than it is now. They will seal it and touch it up to look good again. So long as it does not look worse, them doing it is probably my best bet.

Of course I would rather have it done perfectly, but if I did that with all ding/dents my truck will get over the many years, I'd spend a fortune!

2. Jan 14, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    darrmill

darrmill Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DC SB
    Pop N Lock, Weathertechs, Viper remote starter, Intermittent wiper switch, devil horns, Access rollup tonneau, Wet Okoles, Rocky Mounts, EGR vent guards
    Maybe you could sell the whole tailgate to a Chuck Norris memorabilia collector and then use the money to buy a new one?

3. Jan 26, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    slmgt

slmgt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    An update on this incident:

A local body shop guy used his hammer & dolly to remove the most noticeable damage in the tailgate, then painted it (primer & base coat I think?). It looks great (the color's off, but that's why I've got touch-up paint) and best of all... he did it for free! Now I just need to touch it up and it will look almost perfect.

Anyone have advice on how to use the touch-up canister from Toyota in the most efficient way? I know there's a brush, pen and some other function; I am looking for the one that would look the best.

Thanks!

4. Mar 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    ricoefamoso

ricoefamoso New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Daytona Beach Shores FL
    Lear Bed Cover, TRD Exhaust Exension, Chrome Step Rails, Tacoma All Weather Floor Mats, 4x4, Tow Package, Entune, Navigation, JBL Sound System
    Mine is about 2 months old (2013 TRD Sport Package and loaded with equipment) and at this point, pristine and ding free ... I love this truck! I have the Toyota Tacoma chrome and black running boards or step boards (what ever you call them) and I drive my wife crazy when I remind her to step on the black part and not the chrome when entering MY TACO ... lol ... she says I whine like a broken record and states "it's only a truck". Well Well ... her pristine Mercedes M 500 was "keyed" on the hood by some jealous bastard a week ago. What was my answer when she whined? I said ... "It's only a Mercedes".

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  5. Mar 6, 2013 at 5:04 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Your truck is too new to not do it right. Get the professionals to do it right, either fix the dent a paint, or get a clean used tailgate a paint it to match. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top