Notices

Full time power source for GPS wiring

Old 11-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
TacoBaja is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: John
TacoBaja's Tacoma Gallery
Full time power source for GPS wiring

Because I am not a whiz with electrical stuff, I'll ask those that are....

My Lowrance gps is currently wired to a source (under dash fuse panel) that works only when the key is on. I would like to wire it to a source that will allow it to remain on even when the key is turned off, thus relying on my questionable memory to remember to shut it off so my battery doesn't go dead.

It would be a real benefit to have that source easy for me to find, and inside the cab area, not running a wire directly to the battery.

2006 Tacoma

Thanks

TacoBaja
Old 11-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I might suggest using the DR LCK circuit. It should remain on regardless of ignition position. It will be in the in cab fuse box.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
RZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
RZRob's Tacoma Gallery
FTP is a real bad idea - real bad.

RZ Rob
Old 12-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
You just need to find a constant hot lead. Personally, I would only use an ignition hot. My GPS runs on battery power after I turn off the truck. This is usually sufficient.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
Marines:
RZ Rob?

"FTP" ?? Real bad idea?? essplain, or am I missing something?

TacoBaja
Old 12-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
"Full time power", I'm assuming. Mine's wired up to an always-hot junction I installed under the hood.

Make sure you use fuses in the circuit in case something goes sour. Would much rather blow a fuse than burn up your truck.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
RZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
RZRob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBaja View Post
"FTP" ?? Real bad idea?? essplain, or am I missing something?

TacoBaja
Well just for the same reason you mentioned: that it relies upon you to turn it off. It's like having a slow leak and this can leave you stranded. I have mine on switched-power and it works really well for me.

I assume this has something to do with saving settings or something? Do tell your rationale. also, curious what brand/model scanner. Personally I'm a fan of the Garmins for a variety of reasons, but some folks just don't like them.

RZ Rob
Old 12-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Well just for the same reason you mentioned: that it relies upon you to turn it off. It's like having a slow leak and this can leave you stranded. I have mine on switched-power and it works really well for me.

I assume this has something to do with saving settings or something? Do tell your rationale. also, curious what brand/model scanner. Personally I'm a fan of the Garmins for a variety of reasons, but some folks just don't like them.

RZ Rob
Based on the OP's name and location, I'm assuming he's talking about a Lowrance for the desert and not a standard road map GPS. For those, it is beneficial to allow them to remain on when the vehicle is off, especially if short stops are expected while wheeling as it takes time for them to boot up and locate satellites.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
Marines:
Wired in successfully

MJP2 - you hit it exactly - I AM in So. Cal area and the Lowrance has very good maps available for Baja - and the "Map Create 7.0" software does a good job here in the states.

Yes, I do not want to deal with the re-boot delay everytime I shut off the vehicle, plus, it looses its odometer reading, reverting to zero with every restart. That alone is very inconvenient if you are trying to keep an accurate track of mileage.

I did locate an under dash wire with constant power, and retained the 3 amp fuse to the GPS.

John
Old 12-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
derekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to behold

Name: derek
derekAV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
MJP2 - you hit it exactly - I AM in So. Cal area and the Lowrance has very good maps available for Baja - and the "Map Create 7.0" software does a good job here in the states.

Yes, I do not want to deal with the re-boot delay everytime I shut off the vehicle, plus, it looses its odometer reading, reverting to zero with every restart. That alone is very inconvenient if you are trying to keep an accurate track of mileage.

I did locate an under dash wire with constant power, and retained the 3 amp fuse to the GPS.

John
not to high-jack lol but where abouts are you from in the high desert? im in Apple Valley
Old 12-02-2010, 05:10 AM   #11
Marines:
High Desert

On the Mesa - Hesperia

JM
Old 12-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #12

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

John
Very cool. Post pictures of how you're mounting the unit when you're done with the install. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:13 AM   #13
Marines:
Installed GPS photo

I lose a cup holder but the gps is not in direct sunlight nor in direct view of passersby either.
Attached Thumbnails
Full time power source for GPS wiring-s7001813.jpg