1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Straight Talk no BS on NAV/DVD/BT/Iphone hook up

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Huskerjim, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Nov 30, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    Huskerjim

Huskerjim [OP] You gotta love your brother inlaw!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Fleming Island, Florida
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Sport
    Ballistic Wheels Nitto Tires Extang Cover Exhaust Duel Leather Interior OEM Bug Shield Bullet Grill and Ect. Bed Mat
    I need a good system complete for a 2011 Taco TRD Sport non JBL system that will work with my steering control. what your suggestions I want a sweet system that will be able to be upgraded if needed, as well were can I get the best install kit for the taco that looks closes to OEM too. thx

2. Dec 1, 2010 at 12:23 AM
    Cuda444

Cuda444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    Access Limited Bed Cover, URD Short Shift Kit, 25% Tint all around, WeatherTechs, Kenwood DNX-6160, 2 - IDQ10 sub, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5's, JL 500/1, JL 300/2, Mr.Marv Enclosure/Amp Rack, Morimoto Stage III Retro Headlights, Blazer Fog Retro
    Do a search and you'll get plenty of hits.

You can use just about any head unit you want... regardless of what you choose, you'll need an adapter to get it to work with the steering controls; the most popular solution it seems, called a swi-jack by a company called PAC. They retail for about $80, but I found mine on Amazon for $36 bucks.

I'm running a Kenwood DNX 6160 and I couldn't be happier... It does everything I want, has the Garmin Nav engine built in, bluetooth, iPod adapter cable for seamless integration and control, and expandability for when I decide to update the system with some amps.

I used the Scosche dash kit and wiring harness for my install... again off amazon, I think it was all of $25 bucks and it fits and works great.

3. Dec 1, 2010 at 3:01 AM
    sirnick365

sirnick365 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nick
    lees summit mo
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd sport 4x4 doublecab

Does this radio being a flip down work when installed>? I worry about the fact the radio is recessed into the dash and maybe hindered when opening. Also... Can you add multiple waypoints/stops to this radio via sd card or something? I am in real estate and would like to optimize 30-45 stops all on one gps route. :confused:

4. Dec 1, 2010 at 3:47 AM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    I did the Pioneer X920, with this http://www.amazon.com/Metra-ASWC-Universal-Steering-Interface/dp/B0039H2W66 for steering wheel control and then added the bluetooth buttons on the right to make the whole steering wheel work. Only issue I have is the the bluetooth buttons come from a 4runner, so the color is a little dim and off. I'm in Jax, PM me and I will let you look at the system price for head unit and all was around $700 with Amazon coupon and all install material.

5. Dec 1, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    PCarnathan

PCarnathan Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 V6
    sirnick365 wrote, in part:

"Does this radio being a flip down work when installed? I worry about the fact the radio is recessed into the dash and maybe hindered when opening."

I just bought the Pioneer AVIC-X920BT. The Crutchfield catalog indicates you can't use a flip-up screen in the 2011 Tacoma, although since the Tacoma's got a double-DIN opening you wouldn't need a flip-up anyway.

Pat in Menifee, CA
    2011 Tacoma SR5 4WD V6 Auto
    http://www.patcarnathan.com

6. Dec 1, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    Cuda444

Cuda444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    Access Limited Bed Cover, URD Short Shift Kit, 25% Tint all around, WeatherTechs, Kenwood DNX-6160, 2 - IDQ10 sub, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5's, JL 500/1, JL 300/2, Mr.Marv Enclosure/Amp Rack, Morimoto Stage III Retro Headlights, Blazer Fog Retro

It's a fixed screen... it doesn't flip out, so no issues with clearance and what not. As for the waypoints, I have no idea... your best bet is to probably go to a car audio shop and play around with them all and see which, if any nav, will fit the bill for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top