Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Straight Talk no BS on NAV/DVD/BT/Iphone hook up

Old 11-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
You gotta love your brother inlaw!
Huskerjim will become famous soon enoughHuskerjim will become famous soon enough

Name: Jim
Huskerjim's Tacoma Gallery

I need a good system complete for a 2011 Taco TRD Sport non JBL system that will work with my steering control. what your suggestions I want a sweet system that will be able to be upgraded if needed, as well were can I get the best install kit for the taco that looks closes to OEM too. thx
Old 12-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #2
Cuda444 is on a distinguished road
Cuda444's Tacoma Gallery
Do a search and you'll get plenty of hits.

You can use just about any head unit you want... regardless of what you choose, you'll need an adapter to get it to work with the steering controls; the most popular solution it seems, called a swi-jack by a company called PAC. They retail for about $80, but I found mine on amazon for $36 bucks.

I'm running a Kenwood DNX 6160 and I couldn't be happier... It does everything I want, has the Garmin Nav engine built in, bluetooth, iPod adapter cable for seamless integration and control, and expandability for when I decide to update the system with some amps.

I used the Scosche dash kit and wiring harness for my install... again off amazon, I think it was all of $25 bucks and it fits and works great.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
sirnick365 is on a distinguished road
Name: nick
sirnick365's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda444 View Post
Do a search and you'll get plenty of hits.

I'm running a Kenwood DNX 6160 and I couldn't be happier... It does everything I want, has the Garmin Nav engine built in,

Does this radio being a flip down work when installed>? I worry about the fact the radio is recessed into the dash and maybe hindered when opening. Also... Can you add multiple waypoints/stops to this radio via sd card or something? I am in real estate and would like to optimize 30-45 stops all on one gps route.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:47 AM   #4
bookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud of
Name: Mark
bookmonke's Tacoma Gallery
I did the Pioneer X920, with this http://www.amazon.com/Metra-ASWC-Uni.../dp/B0039H2W66 for steering wheel control and then added the bluetooth buttons on the right to make the whole steering wheel work. Only issue I have is the the bluetooth buttons come from a 4runner, so the color is a little dim and off. I'm in Jax, PM me and I will let you look at the system price for head unit and all was around $700 with Amazon coupon and all install material.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
PCarnathan is on a distinguished road
Name: Pat
PCarnathan's Tacoma Gallery

sirnick365 wrote, in part:

"Does this radio being a flip down work when installed? I worry about the fact the radio is recessed into the dash and maybe hindered when opening."

I just bought the Pioneer AVIC-X920BT. The Crutchfield catalog indicates you can't use a flip-up screen in the 2011 Tacoma, although since the Tacoma's got a double-DIN opening you wouldn't need a flip-up anyway.

Pat in Menifee, CA
2011 Tacoma SR5 4WD V6 Auto
http://www.patcarnathan.com
Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Cuda444 is on a distinguished road
Cuda444's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnick365 View Post
Does this radio being a flip down work when installed>? I worry about the fact the radio is recessed into the dash and maybe hindered when opening. Also... Can you add multiple waypoints/stops to this radio via sd card or something? I am in real estate and would like to optimize 30-45 stops all on one gps route.

It's a fixed screen... it doesn't flip out, so no issues with clearance and what not. As for the waypoints, I have no idea... your best bet is to probably go to a car audio shop and play around with them all and see which, if any nav, will fit the bill for you.