Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4 WD question

Old 12-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
DocD will become famous soon enough

DocD's Tacoma Gallery
4 WD question

This is my first Toyota and my first truck that does not have lock-outs, my question is this, When I use the truck in 4WD I get a noticeable "Clunk" sound when I switch it back into 2WD, not all the time, but just once-in-awhile, is this something to be concerned with or is this normal, Thanks, Doc
Old 12-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post
This is my first Toyota and my first truck that does not have lock-outs, my question is this, When I use the truck in 4WD I get a noticeable "Clunk" sound when I switch it back into 2WD, not all the time, but just once-in-awhile, is this something to be concerned with or is this normal, Thanks, Doc
Its normal, for me it usually happens when I disengage the 4wd and still have my foot on the gas. It usually won't happen when I let off the gas then disengage while coasting.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it too
Many here claim it is normal but my question has always been why didn't any of my previous Toyota's do it
Old 12-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink junky View Post
Its normal, for me it usually happens when I disengage the 4wd and still have my foot on the gas. It usually won't happen when I let off the gas then disengage while coasting.
^This.

You can avoid the clunk completely if you're driving in a straight line when engaging/disengaging and let up on the gas (take all the strain off the drivetrain) the moment you flip the switch. If you're turning or under load, you will almost always get the clunk when engaging/disengaging due to the pressure on the drivetrain. Of course, doing it this way isn't always avoidable, but you'll know in advance of flipping the switch whether you'll hear it or not based on what you're doing at the time.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
^This.

You can avoid the clunk completely if you're driving in a straight line when engaging/disengaging and let up on the gas (take all the strain off the drivetrain) the moment you flip the switch. If you're turning or under load, you will almost always get the clunk when engaging/disengaging due to the pressure on the drivetrain. Of course, doing it this way isn't always avoidable, but you'll know in advance of flipping the switch whether you'll hear it or not based on what you're doing at the time.

^ This ^

Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Plannerman99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
^This.

x2
Old 12-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
DocD will become famous soon enough

DocD's Tacoma Gallery
Thank-You Doc
Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
elblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant future

Name: Blake
elblako91's Tacoma Gallery
My 92 with manual hubs clunks at times