Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Splice a trailer harness?

Old 12-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
The "Wet" Coast
pjo is on a distinguished road

pjo's Tacoma Gallery
Question Splice a trailer harness?

Yup after 10 months I finally post something... what can I say most of my questions usually get answered by searching/reading

Has anyone out there spliced a trailer harness to power another set of backup lights/reverse flood lights? I know I could splice off the actuall tail light assembly but this is for a project I am working on with my Go Rhino! Hitch Step. I don't actually use my hitch that often and when I do I can just unplug the whole thing to get it out of the way so I thought this would be ideal...

pjo
Old 12-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo View Post
Yup after 10 months I finally post something... what can I say most of my questions usually get answered by searching/reading

Has anyone out there spliced a trailer harness to power another set of backup lights/reverse flood lights? I know I could splice off the actuall tail light assembly but this is for a project I am working on with my Go Rhino! Hitch Step. I don't actually use my hitch that often and when I do I can just unplug the whole thing to get it out of the way so I thought this would be ideal...

pjo
What's the question, whether you can do it or not? There's no reason you couldn't. I'm assuming you're talking a 7-pin from a Tacoma with the factory tow package? How do you want the lights to function, are they going to be on a switch in the cab? If you want them to just come on when you put the truck into reverse then I'd use the back-up lights as a trigger for a relay.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
The "Wet" Coast
pjo is on a distinguished road

pjo's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm interesting idea... I was thinking along the lines of using the 12V from the 7-Pin and using the Tail and Backup pins as relay connectors Any reason why you would want to use the actual backup lights as a trigger?

pjo
Old 12-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo View Post
Hmmm interesting idea... I was thinking along the lines of using the 12V from the 7-Pin and using the Tail and Backup pins as relay connectors Any reason why you would want to use the actual backup lights as a trigger?

pjo
I think we're talking about the same thing, taking power from the trailer harness and using the back-up lights as the switch or trigger to turn the lights on.

If I was going to go that route, I'd modify a 7-pin trailer plug so it only uses 2 wires, the ground and the hot wire from the truck. I'd run the power to a relay as the power in, splice into the back-up lights and run that to trigger the relay. That way you could just unplug the lights from the trailer harness and plug in the trailer. I hope that makes sense... it sounds great in my head