Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6" lift Spacer/coilover Question

Old 12-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
jjones will become famous soon enough
jjones's Tacoma Gallery
6" lift Spacer/coilover Question

I haven't been able to find the answer to this by searching threads already posted so i thought i would start one. I want to know how much lift the spindles in the 6" lift packages provide (Fabtech/tuff country/procomp) and how much is provided by the coil spacer/coilover. The reason i ask is that i want to know if it would be possible to install the drop bracket and spindles and keep my ICONs to provide about a 4-6" lift. Much like combining camburg spindles and a coilover for the pre-runners.

Sorry if this topic has been addressed elsewhere but i couldn't find it
Old 12-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones View Post
I haven't been able to find the answer to this by searching threads already posted so i thought i would start one. I want to know how much lift the spindles in the 6" lift packages provide (Fabtech/tuff country/procomp) and how much is provided by the coil spacer/coilover. The reason i ask is that i want to know if it would be possible to install the drop bracket and spindles and keep my ICONs to provide about a 4-6" lift. Much like combining camburg spindles and a coilover for the pre-runners.

Sorry if this topic has been addressed elsewhere but i couldn't find it
The DB drops the LCA's about 4". The spindles are about 3"ish of additional hieght depending on which kit you're looking at. (These numbers are dependant on which kit is used) not all of them do it the same.

As for your question if it's possible to do spindles and DB?? I doubt it would be a simple bolt on deal.

-The Spindle lifts, acheive their lift by moving the spindle mounting point behind the brakes. Droping the hub assembly down. So the upper portion of the spindles are basically the same height as stock.

You'd need to extend the upper arm of the spindles.

You might consider the use of an LT set up with a DB kit? That might work?

I'm not sure which brand would be compatible with which DB lift?

I take it your truck is 2WD??

Good Luck!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
jjones's Tacoma Gallery
No my truck is a 4x4 that is why i am trying to use the spindles from a 6" kit along with the DB to gain some lift. But i dont want to go to a coil spacer and would like to use my 0-3" ICONs to provide additional lift to compensate for not using the coilspacer or new coilovers that come with the 6 " kits.

What I am trying to figure out is how much lift these kits rely on getting from the coil (spacer or coilover) vs the DB/Spindle combination
Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
cameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to behold

Name: cameron
cameronlane's Tacoma Gallery
Are you asking if you can get the 6" lift and use your icon c/os instead of getting the dirt logic or w/e coilovers that come with the 6" lift?

I would like to know this as well
Old 12-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
jjones's Tacoma Gallery
Yes this is exactly what i want to know. This is what i would ideally like to do, if i can by bits and pieces of the 6" kit from these manufacturers
Old 12-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
cameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to behold

anyone?
Old 12-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
yeah use the spacer on top of your icon coilover. it'll kill your cv boots tho.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronlane View Post
anyone?
No, your coilovers wouldn't work with the DB lift, but you could get ICON's or some other extended length coilovers to use with the DB lift.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
jjones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
yeah use the spacer on top of your icon coilover. it'll kill your cv boots tho.
My goal would be to eliminate the spacer and rely on the 3" i can get out of the ICONs (not going above 6" Probably a little under)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
No, your coilovers wouldn't work with the DB lift, but you could get ICON's or some other extended length coilovers to use with the DB lift.
What would be the reasoning behind not being able to use standard 0-3" coilovers with the DB lift?
Old 12-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What would be the reasoning behind not being able to use standard 0-3" coilovers with the DB lift?
They aren't the same length as coilovers used in the DB lift. I guess you could stack a spacer if you really wanted too..
Old 12-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
jjones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
They aren't the same length as coilovers used in the DB lift. I guess you could stack a spacer if you really wanted too..
I assumed that some of the lift was achieved with the new spindle and the db. Is the spacer a full 6" and then the extended length coilover would be 6" longer than stock? Does anyone have measurement of the spacer length? This is what i am really after.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #12

How much longer are the DB extended c/o's compared to "regular" c/o
Old 12-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
happyb has a spectacular aura abouthappyb has a spectacular aura about
Name: Brandon
happyb's Tacoma Gallery
sell the icons you have now and buy the ones they make for the 6" lifts.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My goal would be to eliminate the spacer and rely on the 3" i can get out of the ICONs (not going above 6" Probably a little under)

Actually if you were to use the 3" lift coils with the DB components, you would actually end up with less than 3" of lift. Because your UCA's & LCA's would be angled upwards.

If you're going to try and "Mickey Mouse" a lift? Why even bother?

Just stay with the 3" lift. Or you'll just end up with a world of issue.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #15
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
cant he put the coilovers under the strut spacer?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #16
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
yeah he can but doesn't want to.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #17
jjones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toku58 View Post
Actually if you were to use the 3" lift coils with the DB components, you would actually end up with less than 3" of lift. Because your UCA's & LCA's would be angled upwards.

If you're going to try and "Mickey Mouse" a lift? Why even bother?

Just stay with the 3" lift. Or you'll just end up with a world of issue.
I am going to stick with my 2.5" front lift for a while. But i was hoping there was a migration path to get a little more lift but not necessarily 6". I would really like it to be about 3.5-5" up front but i don't want to go above 2.5" without doing a drop bracket and lowering the diff. (my cv angles are more than i would like with just 2.5 and diff drop)

I would run the RCD kit but i would like to get some better coilovers and not use a stock spring.

Guess when the time comes i will just spring for a stage II 6" or buy extended length ICONs