1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone still using a MSD DashHawk

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by builthatch, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Dec 2, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    builthatch

builthatch [OP] MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    i ran this for the past 3 years in my mazdaspeed3. it was a very useful tool on SO many fronts. the mazdaspeed3 uses a wide band a/f sensor out of the box so logging was very useful when modifying things. you could monitor short term/long term trims in real time to see when the ECU was done "learning"...you could use the digital readout to set your cruise control to the exact MPH...there were countless uses for this thing in my last car.

there was a development team led by a guy named Ken Mosher that scaled things specifically for certain makes and models. they did a GREAT job creating the set of mazda specific PIDs, and specifically those for the turbo direct injected mazdas.

it seems they did little development for the toyota specific PIDs - the only ones i can see specific to toyota are trans temp and associated PIDs for automatics, but OBDII is OBDII so there should be several uses that make the DH still worth keeping around.

i have it mounted and can monitor on the first screen:

RPM
    vehicle speed
    intake air temp
    coolant temp
    voltage
    and, as dumb as it is...primary o2. it seems it is a narrow band so that doesn't help me much more than those old school 10 segment LED o2 gauges from cyberdyne or halmeter, but, until i play with it more, i don't know of a more useful parameter and it doesn't allow 5 things per screen, either 1,2,3,4,6 or 7.

apparently i can't monitor manifold pressure, but i'm too sure yet. that would be handy once i go supercharged - measuring vacuum and boost.

i searched on this forum and see a few people here and there have them but it looks like most people are using them for the performance testing features.

2. Dec 6, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    builthatch

builthatch [OP] MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    well, i was wrong about the factory wide band. i can view and log it, which is absolutely awesome. that along with a number of other parameters will help me log and figure out what mods do what in terms of the tune.

bottom right corner, factory wide band AFR #1

IMG00069-20101206-1507.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top