Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OEM Roof Rack Install

Old 12-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #21
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Ya wasn't trying to be a doucher about it. Just threw it out there fora little fyi.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #22
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I bought mine used so i didn't get the original paperwork, but its corrected now
Old 12-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #23
southerntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoutherntaco889 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
southerntaco889's Tacoma Gallery
This question may have already been answered but where is the cheapest place to get the OEM rack? Bout the cheapest I can find is like $250. Or does anybody have one they wanna get rid of?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #24
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
check out ebay. Had my girlfriend get me one off ebay thru a toyota dealership. Was like $220 dollars and maybe $12 bucks or so.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #25

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumatrd View Post

Was this yellow clip attached to your rail or to the bracket when you first put it on? I am wondering because my driver side also has the small gap near the front. I am sure they were attached the the rails but did you take them off and just insert them onto the bracket?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #26

Firefighter:
Well after trying different a few different things to get rid of the gap I gave it. I think it may have something to do with the rubber moulding being slightly off.

You'd think there would have been a screw on the very front of the each rail to make sure the rack would be perfectly flush with the roof of the truck. Oh well.

Thanks again for the write up!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #27
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know where the yellow clip connects. hopefully it molds into the gap with the AZ heat.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:57 AM   #28
hottaco is on a distinguished road
hottaco's Tacoma Gallery
Problems mounting roof rack

Okay, I got all the way to the end on the installation of my roof rack...and of course Murhpy's law kicked in. There seems to be a clip or nut missing from the RH bracket. There is nothing for the long torx head bolt to thread into on the front RH side. There is a warning in the instructions about pushing down too hard "as you may push the tap plate out of the holder in the rail below". I took it apart and can find no "tap plate" and can't figure out if I'm just stupid or there is something missing from my shipment? Anyone know what this refers to? Thx
Old 12-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #29
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
the tap plate is a small square plate with a threaded hole in the middle. its about 1 cm by 1 cm long.
It will fall off of the grove if you remove the bolt. then you will need to take the rack off to find the plate and fit it back on.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #30
hottaco is on a distinguished road
hottaco's Tacoma Gallery
That's kind of what I figured...which means I'm going to have to go out and take it all apart again...because I could find nothing there after partially uninstalling it. Was this tap plate a separate item in the parts bag, or is it suppose to be "preinstalled" in the groove of the rail? Thx for your help.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #31
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
if the rail was already bolted to the rack, then it came preinstalled.
i made the mistake of removing that bolt when uninstalling too. but luckily i found the plate.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:56 AM   #32
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
this is the cheapest i found on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #33
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
I finally got mine today and installed it... Thanks again for the tips! The information does say 100 lbs max.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #34
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by himmie View Post
I finally got mine today and installed it... Thanks again for the tips! The information does say 100 lbs max.
Post a pic
Old 06-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #35
Cicatrix is on a distinguished road

Army: SigTech
Cicatrix's Tacoma Gallery
Did mine last night, some gap i will be looking into sealing somehow, maybe some silicone if it won't damage the finish

needed the rack to do some camping this summer and I hate the thought of having a foam wedge jammed between the roof and a canoe
Old 06-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #36
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd for future project
Old 06-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #37
tarandus is a jewel in the roughtarandus is a jewel in the roughtarandus is a jewel in the roughtarandus is a jewel in the rough

tarandus's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same issue with mine...gap on the front of the passenger side. There was another thread on this and someone said they fixed the gap by bending the front of the bracket down (where the yellow plastic piece is) to get the rack to clip in tighter. Not sure but it seems like you could bend it too far and not get the clip to catch. I'll try this when I re-install mine ~ I have to replace the plastic bits because they are all trashed, but apparently you can get them at any auto parts store....I traded in my '06 for an '08 and took the rack with me so we'll see how the re-install goes.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #38
tarandus is a jewel in the roughtarandus is a jewel in the roughtarandus is a jewel in the roughtarandus is a jewel in the rough

I've been trying to find replacement yellow fasteners but no luck at the local auto stores. Does anyone know where I can find replacements, or what the Toyota part # is? I have asked the local dealership but they have no idea how to get the replacement part...
Old 12-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #39
DATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud of
DATZ WEAKSAUCE's Tacoma Gallery
sorry to bring back a old thread but i just installed my roof rack today and i too have the gap in the front by the windshield and its driving me pretty crazy im a little picky when it comes to fitment issues ahah has anyone fixed their gaps?

i think the mounting bracket design to mount the front is a little wierd im a technician for honda and installed plenty of oem honda roof racks and the fitment is 100% all the time i think im just spoiled
Old 12-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #40

I've posted to this thread before with the same problem, and the best suggestion I got was to try and bend the front of the bracket down just enough to snug in the front. I'm actually going to re-install my racks on my 'new' '08 this weekend and will give that a try. I tried in vain to try and get new yellow attachement pins, but the dealership can't even find them.

I agree that the design is weak. An adjustment screw to tighten would have been easy and made sense. Weak Toyota design doesn't happen often, but when it does its a head scratcher.