Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OEM Roof Rack Install

Old 12-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Roof Rack Install

Tools needed will be
25 Torx
30 Torx

The weather strip is cliped on by two clips on each side, the strips pop right off with minimal force.

here are the clips that hold the weather strip. ↓

Once removed, you will see three spots with a thick tape covering the threaded mounting holes. Remove the tape to uncover the holes. There are 5 treaded holes for the bolts per side. Two near the front, one in the middle, two near the back.

The first item bolted on is the front bracket. It uses the front two holes on the roof. All the bolts are either 25 or 30 torx heads.

Next, you will mount the one side of the rack.
The rack bolts up to the base with two bolts. Then also bolts up to the remaining 3 bolts on the rack to the roof.

Repeat on the pasenger side and the finished product should look like this ↓

and like this with the racks open ↓

In summary, theres only 14 bolts in total. The weather strips clip back on fairly easily if you decide to go back to stock. I believe there's a 100 lbs. limit for the OEM roof rack.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
very nice write-up
Old 12-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
you make it look soo easy, hell i installed mine, when i got done it there were gaps between the paint and roof racks, they didnt fit right, and when i was installing them i overtightened the bolts and ruined the seals so when it rained a week later my interrior leaked. had to get it uninstalled and then reinstalled by the dealer, an extra 200 bucks
Old 12-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
you make it look soo easy, hell i installed mine, when i got done it there were gaps between the paint and roof racks, they didnt fit right, and when i was installing them i overtightened the bolts and ruined the seals so when it rained a week later my interrior leaked. had to get it uninstalled and then reinstalled by the dealer, an extra 200 bucks
If only there was a DIY!!! you would have avoided the hassle

I'll upload a side shot in a min.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! That's also a good lookin chic in the background of the 6th picture
Old 12-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Chronism has a spectacular aura aboutChronism has a spectacular aura aboutChronism has a spectacular aura about

Name: Michael
Chronism's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
you make it look soo easy, hell i installed mine, when i got done it there were gaps between the paint and roof racks, they didnt fit right
I had the same issue. On the driver's side it didn't sit completely flush at the front near the windshield. I even tried adjusting/tweaking on the front mounting bracket with no luck. I went as far as exchanging the whole rail and mounting bracket for new ones and it did they same thing. It doesn't even bother me know, hardly even know it's like that and I seem to be the only person who can see it. It doesn't effect any leakage or anything.

Nice write up OP!
Old 12-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't have any problems with mine. It was probably the easiest 30 minute mod I have done. Good write-up by the way.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the Props Guys.

Here is the pic of how it latches itself to the rack
Old 12-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
Sideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really nice

Sideways's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!
Did you get the rack from the dealer?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
DTHernandez is on a distinguished road
DTHernandez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronism View Post
I had the same issue. On the driver's side it didn't sit completely flush at the front near the windshield. I even tried adjusting/tweaking on the front mounting bracket with no luck. I went as far as exchanging the whole rail and mounting bracket for new ones and it did they same thing. It doesn't even bother me know, hardly even know it's like that and I seem to be the only person who can see it. It doesn't effect any leakage or anything.

Nice write up OP!
I just installed mine last night and have the same problem. The right side fits tight and really snug, but the left side has a small gap and seems like it wiggles around a little bit. Im gonna try and play with it and see what i can do to make it fit better but its kinda odd that im not the only one with this problem!

And great write up btw!!! helped out a lot!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write-up, David!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #17
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Just trying to help out guys and gals
Old 12-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #18
booboy is on a distinguished road

booboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivewalker View Post
Looks good! That's also a good lookin chic in the background of the 6th picture
Good observation.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Got my OEM rack in yesterday. Noticed it says on the rack thats its a 100lb load limit, not the 75lbs stated earlier. Thanks for the write up, will install mine tomorrow after I pick up some torx drivers.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #20
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the correction Andrew