1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto LSD Question - I Know, I Know...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tonyreo, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Dec 5, 2010 at 5:30 AM
    tonyreo

tonyreo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    N.E. Ohio
    I'm new to the Toyota 4WD stuff so...
    I have a 2011 DC SB 4WD V6 Auto.
    When I turn VSC off the Auto LSD comes on, correct?
    Is this a good mode for highway driving in snow?
    I read the owners manual several times but it seems a bit confusing to me.
    Any advice on driving in these conditions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Dec 5, 2010 at 6:03 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Not really. I would only turn it on if you're having trouble getting moving in 4Hi.

4Hi already has VSC on along with TRAC traction control, and you should leave both of them on in snow-on-asphalt. You'll be amazed how stable the truck is.

ABS can be a bit touchy in snow on these vehicles...recommend engine braking to help control your speed.

3. Dec 5, 2010 at 9:04 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    "When I turn VSC off the Auto LSD comes on, correct?":

NO, when you turn TRAC off, then AUTO LSD comes on... and is just a stronger version of TRAC (limited slip), in 2WD. When you turn VSC off, then you have NO traction control or VSC. It is the terminology and words Toyota uses that make it confusing. See the chart below...

Let me help, first off 'AUTO LSD' is a 2WD only mode. You cannot 'turn it on' in H4... BUT, TRAC in H4 is the same function as AUTO LSD but on all 4 tires. It is on automatically in H4, nothing to push. This use of the word 'TRAC' instead of AUTO LSD in H4 is probably a poor choice by Toyota... makes it a bit confusing.

It enhances TRAC in H2 by removing the engine output regulation. So, full power to both rear tires and traction control (limited slip) works stronger if one tire gets into slippery stuff.

In 2WD (H2) you have:

1) TRAC (normal mode) light limited slip beacuse of engine output regulation.
    2) AUTO LSD (TRAC OFF mode) strong limited slip beacuse of no regulation. You touch the VSC OFF switch just once to activate.
    3) VSC OFF MODE (TRAC and VSC are both off) for open differentail. You must stop the truck, and hold down the VSC OFF switch of a few seconds until the lights indicate it is off.
    avatar7907_14_2dbf3432433974eeb60eb958d75d15d11c97c2f3.gif

In 4WD HIGH (H4) you have:

4) TRAC (normal mode), but no engine output regulation for strong limited slip.
    5) VSC OFF MODE (open differentials, by holding down the VSC OFF switch while stopped for several seconds).

In 4WD LOW (L4) you have:

6) Open Differentials (normal mode).
    7) Rear Locking Differentail (Off Road TRD only).
    8) A-TRAC (Off Road TRD only) for super strong front and rear 'locker-like' limited slip. This will make your truck feel like it is unstoppable!
    9) A-TRAC on the front and Locking Rear Differential together to 3 MPH.

MODES_of_operation-1_b471e7cd2ee5ff8792509afba2a54dbad1d513c2.jpg

ToyotaDriveModes-1_fb6bbc2bfd62c6f7514057a58e9345cc0002c14f.jpg

See my link below for more details... or just ask! Welcome aboard!!

4. Dec 5, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Yeah, probably.

What's even more confusing is why Auto-LSD even exists on 4x4s.

If I'm slipping in 2Hi, I'm trying 4Hi. I'm not going to fuck around with 2wd traction control modes. That's the purpose of 4wd.

Silly Toyota.

5. Dec 5, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Exactly! If I need more traction, then H4 is there! It must have been cheaper to leave it on the 4x4s? It is also fun to have more choices! But, I have only used AUTO LSD when playing around with the 9 drive modes to help me write about them here! LOL

6. Dec 6, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    xGManx

xGManx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    South
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB
    black rims, blacked out grille, blacked out exhaust tip, 5100's 1.75" with 2" rear block, pioneer head unit
    My 06 prerunner SR5 v6 does not have an LSD button on the dash but i was under the truck working on it and stamped on the rear diff said *LSD fluid only*, am i retarded or does my truck have a LSD? i know LSD's only come standard on xrunners and TRD sport...and TRD OR has an elocker, so how do i know? the manual hasnt helped much

7. Dec 6, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    If you have this ^^ you probably have LSD. It came as the option so whoever bought the truck may have just ask for one.. :)

8. Dec 6, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    lrak

lrak Well-Known Member

Member:
    4x4 ensures at least one front and one rear wheel spins. Usually you will have all four spinning, but not necessarily. Auto-lsd ensures both rear wheels spin.

Lets say you run off the road into a snowbank and you put it into in 4HI to get out. What do you do when both right wheels spin in the snowbank and you don't get enough power to either left wheel to get the vehicle moving? I'd put it 2HI with LSD so both rear wheels rotate and I have one unstuck wheel on pavement spinning.

9. Dec 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Lock the rear.

10. Dec 6, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    ubugarrity

ubugarrity Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    I'm glad this was explained again, and I think that explanation is the best it could possible be but I'm still confused. I've read posts on this before, the dealer has tried to explain it to me several times (the first time I asked, nobody at the dealer could even begin to explain it) and I still don't know when to change modes. All I do know is that even with all this technology, this is the 7th 4x4 I've owned and this 09 DC LB is by far the worst vehicle I've ever driven in snow and ice. Including 2wd vehicles! Today I ordered Bridgstone Blizzaks to put on a spare set of rims. I hope this helps this winter.
    Drive Safe!

John
    North NJ

11. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    river rat

river rat Tool Geek

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '11 Timberland Mica regular cab.
    Thanks Davis K...I was just going to run it back to the stealership tomorrow to ask then go over it with me. They didn't at all upon delivery.

Thank you!

12. Dec 6, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    You are welcome!

Between what I posted above and the link in my signature, below... It is all there!

13. Dec 6, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Okay, I am here to assist! I am into details, so it doesn't bother me... Just ask (in your own words) what you are not sure about.

Here are some samples from my posts on A-TRAC and the other mods... Now, I have an Off Road and you have a Sport... So, no A-TRAC or Locking Rear Differential choices for you...

The list, below itemizes the drive modes... Off Road 4WDs have nine!

1) 2WD: VSC and TRAC active, engine regulated ('Limited Slip Lite').

2) 2WD: 'AUTO LSD' ('TRAC OFF MODE'). No engine regulation for 'strong' limited slip.

3) 2WD: 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC is off for 'open differential').

4) 4WD-Hi: VSC and TRAC active. No engine regulation for 'strong' limited slip.

5) 4WD-Hi: 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC is off for 'open differentials').

6) 4WD-Lo: VSC and TRAC are both off in L4 ('open differentials').

7) 4WD-Lo: 'A-TRAC' on gives a 'locker-like, super strong' limited slip, front and rear.

8) 4WD-Lo: Rear Differential Locked and open front differential (A-TRAC off).

9) 4WD-Lo: RR DIFF LOCK + A-TRAC on, 3 MPH limit.

=====================================================

Normal Mode (no pressing of switches):

2WD (H2): TRAC & VSC on. TRAC (Traction Control) uses brakes and regulates engine output to achieve LSD (Limited Slip Differential action). VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) keeps truck moving where desired, on slippery roads

4WD (H4): TRAC* & VSC on (*engine output not regulated)

4WD (L4): (no trac, no vsc)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short press of VSC OFF switch:

2WD (H2): AUTO LSD on (no trac, no vsc)

4WD: no change, from above

Long press (hold 3 seconds) of VSC OFF switch (when stopped) for OPEN Differential(s):

2WD (H2): All off (no trac, no vsc, no auto lsd)

4WD (H4): All off (no trac, no vsc)

4WD (L4): no change (no trac, no vsc)

Press A-TRAC (Active Traction Control) switch:

4WD (L4): A-TRAC on (creates the traction abilities of front and rear lockers while in Low Range 4WD). Unless pressed again, A-TRAC will always come on when shifted into L4, from now on.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Press RR DIFF LOCK switch:

4WD (L4): Locks the rear differential. Can be used with or without A-TRAC activated. A-TRAC only active to 3 mph with the rear differential locked.

=====================================================

Press the button in 2WD and that turns ON the AUTO LSD, which is a stronger LSD than TRAC in 2WD. Hold the button down for 3+ seconds, while stopped, in H2 or H4 and you turn off everything for open differential(s).

In H4, you are normally in TRAC mode. In L4, you are normally in open differential mode.

SR5, but not a TRD 4WD...

Right, the Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) is only on the Off Road TRDs... which means you should have enhanced traction control with AUTO LSD in H2 (quick press of switch) and with TRAC in H4 (nothing to press).

To have open differentials in H2 and H4 you hold down the switch for 3+ seconds while stopped. In L4 you only have open differentials and no other modes from Toyota.

H4 with TRAC will get you most anywhere... and L4 is for crawling up grades or through mud. Toyota should have made TRAC standard in L4 for enhanced traction while crawling. It isn't as strong as A-TRAC, but having TRAC in L4 is a great improvement, and there is a mod to give you TRAC in L4 ... see this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...4low-trac.html

14. Dec 6, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    Yota Newb

Yota Newb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 5-Lug Regular Cab 2.7L 5 Speed
    Sorry to jump in here but I am curious about something. Limited slip is limited slip whether it's a 4x4 or 2wd right? I have a 5-lug Taco so 2wd only with limited slip. If I understand, if I want a stronger limited slip, I just hit the button quick to make the red Auto LSD light up? I'm just wondering about this in the snow, I want the best traction since all I have is 2 wheel drive. Thanks.

15. Dec 6, 2010 at 10:48 PM
    urbanplanner

urbanplanner Well-Known Member

Member:
    washington state
    Thanks for the great explanations David. I have an 06 DC off road with the VSC option but without the button. How would I activate/deactivate VSC to get to the 9 combinations? My VSC Off light is ON, when I shift to 4H.

16. Dec 7, 2010 at 6:42 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    The 9 drive modes are only on 4WD Off Road TRDs from 2009 +. You don't have A-TRAC... and I am not sure about the others for you. I had a 2005 and there was no traction controls beyond the rear locker.

I would refer to your owner's manual and see if there is any VSC or TRAC or AUTO LSD mentioned.

Let us know...!

17. Dec 7, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Basically you have two levels of traction control (I believe): TRAC which is limited slip through the use of the brakes and engine output regulation and AUTO LSD which is limited slip through the use of brakes and no egine regulation. Your third option is to turn the VSC OFF (holding the button down while stopped for a few seconds) if you need to let the tires spin (obviously one tire or the other in this case) to rock your truck out of a stuck (if AUTO LSD fails). Turning VSC off is also turning TRAC off.

Try all options and report back! Limited slip on a 4x4 is front and back axles, so there is a big advantage. Remember, the weight in an empty pickup is 'all' over the front axles... but in 2WD, the drive tires are under the lighter rear axle... makes driving off road harder... Putting weight (like snow or sand bags) in the back will improve traction.

18. Dec 7, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    urbanplanner

urbanplanner Well-Known Member

Member:
    washington state
    Thanks David. The 06 OR with the VSD option has four combinations (the best I can tell). The manual makes mention of LSD, but it must have been an option in 06 and this one doesn't have it.
    1. 2WD hi, with VSD
    2. 4WD hi, without VSD (automatically turns off VSD, no button)
    3. 4WD low, without VSD
    4. 4WD low, without VSD, with rear dif lock

19. Dec 7, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Must have been the first level of incorporating VSC into the Tacoma. As I mentioned, my '05 had none of the devices.

VSC is a highway-emergency steering aid to stop you from spinning out of cotrol when you swerve to avoid hitting something that suddenly appears in front of you... or making a sharp turn, so having it only in 2WD makes sense. Sadly, we can't seperate VSC from TRAC (limited slip) in 4WD... because TRAC in H4 is great, but the VSC beeper going off if I am 'swirreling' around is annoying. I can turn off VSC, but I lose TRAC and then will need to deflate my tires to do what I could with TRAC on (sand washes, beach, etc.). It doesn't go off so much it is worth a mod to kill the beeper.

Products Discussed in

To Top