1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by beondwacko, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Dec 5, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    beondwacko

beondwacko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08' X-Runner , Sirius radio, fog light mod. Much more to go.
    Hey Folks,

Been a while since I've been online to the forum here. I have a headlight situation that must be dealt with.

I had a "little" incident this past week and I'm going to have to replace the OEM headlights. I've been looking at various aftermarket projector units, but from what I have read in various posts, some folks have mixed reviews about the photometrics and water tightness(fogging).

I'm a lighting guy (residential) to start off with, so I know what I am speaking about and what I am looking for. I had in the OEM housings some (forgot the brand) 35W 6K hi/low HID's and although that was an improvement over the stock halogen lamps, you still can't polish a turd. The factory headlights just plain sucked. Worst I have even seen on a new vehicle actually.

I was planning on buying a set of some aftermarket units(unsure what brand until I got some user reviews) and using a set of DDM 55w 5K HID's.

What I am looking to find out from those who have gone this route of the aftermarket projectors as follows.

1. Pattern cut off. Is the light output clear and sharp or scattered on low beam.
    2. High beam. Again, is the pattern good or bad.
    3. Adjust-ability. The OEM units can be aimed somewhat.
    4. Do they fog in the rain or after washing? Even 1 of my OEM headlights started fogging recently.

Any input would be welcomed.

Also, if anyone has a clean set of housings that they converted to a high/low projector that they might sell, I may be interested.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dec 5, 2010 at 8:24 AM
    GVY

GVY All those moments will be lost in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    FT Bragg
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 2.7L SR5
    Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares, ARB Winch Bull Bar, 3" All Pro Bilstein Coilovers, All Pro UCAs, Wheeler Off Road Custom Rear Bumper, All Pro Standard Leaf Pack, Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, All Pro steel-braided brake lines, U-Bolt flip kit, JBA cat-back exhaust, KC 6" Daylighters & 2x6" driving lights, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, Deck plate mod, Toytec 1" shackles, Rhinolined bed, Tiregate Prerunner, Procomp 85 gloss black steel wheels, 285/75/16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts
    I just bought a pair of black Anzos for my 98 with silverlight bulbs. Huge, sharp cone of light on low beams out to 75m. High beams are the same, probably 150m. Adjusting screws are metal instead of plastic like OEM. No fogging as of yet. I'll try to take some pictures when it's dark later.
    photo_58333a773f257cf6da6fdd1d938f149cb0aef4a8.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top