Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Headlight Help

Old 12-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
beondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of light

beondwacko's Tacoma Gallery
Headlight Help

Hey Folks,

Been a while since I've been online to the forum here. I have a headlight situation that must be dealt with.

I had a "little" incident this past week and I'm going to have to replace the OEM headlights. I've been looking at various aftermarket projector units, but from what I have read in various posts, some folks have mixed reviews about the photometrics and water tightness(fogging).

I'm a lighting guy (residential) to start off with, so I know what I am speaking about and what I am looking for. I had in the OEM housings some (forgot the brand) 35W 6K hi/low HID's and although that was an improvement over the stock halogen lamps, you still can't polish a turd. The factory headlights just plain sucked. Worst I have even seen on a new vehicle actually.

I was planning on buying a set of some aftermarket units(unsure what brand until I got some user reviews) and using a set of DDM 55w 5K HID's.

What I am looking to find out from those who have gone this route of the aftermarket projectors as follows.

1. Pattern cut off. Is the light output clear and sharp or scattered on low beam.
2. High beam. Again, is the pattern good or bad.
3. Adjust-ability. The OEM units can be aimed somewhat.
4. Do they fog in the rain or after washing? Even 1 of my OEM headlights started fogging recently.

Any input would be welcomed.

Also, if anyone has a clean set of housings that they converted to a high/low projector that they might sell, I may be interested.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
All those moments will be lost in time
GVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SSG, 2 Brigade, 82 Airborne Div Reconnaissance, Surveillance, and Target Acquisition (RSTA) Squadron
Name: Guy
GVY's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a pair of black Anzos for my 98 with silverlight bulbs. Huge, sharp cone of light on low beams out to 75m. High beams are the same, probably 150m. Adjusting screws are metal instead of plastic like OEM. No fogging as of yet. I'll try to take some pictures when it's dark later.