Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

stopping on ice

Old 12-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #21
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jan (Pronounced Yan)
JanBoothius's Tacoma Gallery
If you downshift (easier with a manual), then you WILL notice the benefit of 4wd in slick conditions.

Although most people say "4wd won't help you stop"... thats bullshit. It WILL help you stop, if you know how to use your transmission.

That said, it won't help you if you're the type of person that slams on the brakes with as much pressure as possible. Downshifting in 4wd will help with zero to little use of the brakes, and it will help a lot.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #22
jewels2 is on a distinguished road
jewels2's Tacoma Gallery
Don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying I'm feeling safe in 4wd. I've got 38,000 miles on these stock Dunlops and I feel anything but safe. What I'm trying to say is it feels like it stops quicker in 4wd than it does in 2wd. I bought the truck three years ago when I turned 60. First 4wd I've ever owned so maybe this is just lack of experiance on my part. The only time I've ever used 4wd is when we get snow and ice around our little town here in Nebraska. I've never used 4wd out on the open road. Anyway, I could very well be wrong here and probably am. Sure not the first time.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #23
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Physics is hard?????

This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post
Well technically your Tacoma 4x4 only has power to any two wheels at a time (one front and one rear) unless you have and are engaging the locker.

In any case the best way to get a benefit from the 4x4 is to gently accelerate to regain control of a Tacoma sliding on ice (in most situations) since 4x4 only helps out when sending power to the wheels.

All cars have 4 wheel braking. None are really better then others (assuming an ABS braking system is in use as this does provide a significant advantage). But tires make a difference, as does having extra weight in the bed (I keep about 100-150lbs of sand bags in my bed all winter and it does make a difference in my braking and traction on ice. Studded, sipped, or chained tires help too. Even the brand and design of the tread can matter.

Anyway, almost everything helps except for the 4x4 system when braking on ice.

So, I say why brake, accelerate. (whenever safe and appropriate to do so of-course).
Old 12-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #24
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBoothius View Post
If you downshift (easier with a manual), then you WILL notice the benefit of 4wd in slick conditions.

Although most people say "4wd won't help you stop"... thats bullshit. It WILL help you stop, if you know how to use your transmission.

That said, it won't help you if you're the type of person that slams on the brakes with as much pressure as possible. Downshifting in 4wd will help with zero to little use of the brakes, and it will help a lot.

Move the shifter over and down , not too hard on an auto
Old 12-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #25
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels2 View Post
Don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying I'm feeling safe in 4wd. I've got 38,000 miles on these stock Dunlops and I feel anything but safe. What I'm trying to say is it feels like it stops quicker in 4wd than it does in 2wd. I bought the truck three years ago when I turned 60. First 4wd I've ever owned so maybe this is just lack of experiance on my part. The only time I've ever used 4wd is when we get snow and ice around our little town here in Nebraska. I've never used 4wd out on the open road. Anyway, I could very well be wrong here and probably am. Sure not the first time.
Yes.

You should try using the 4wd in the other seasons too. Take it off road and get used to how it drives in different conditions. Just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to go hard core rock climbing. Just a dirt/gravel road will do. Also, it's recommended that you engage it at least once a month for a few km(miles) to keep all of the parts of the front driveshaft/etc lubricated.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:12 AM   #26
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XTaco View Post
I know everyone says it makes no difference, but I still argue that having 4 wheels stopping you equally, will stop you quicker than two wheels sliding and two pushing.

I agree with this, in snow, more controled.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:44 AM   #27
Back in the game!
Wile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Wile's Tacoma Gallery
There is no advantage of 4WD in an emergency braking situation. Period. ABS, brakes, and tires are your friends.

Don't know how many yuppies, soccer moms and weekend warriors I see in the ditch, a guard rail, or someone elses trunk because they think 4WD makes their SUV a tank in snow and ice.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:47 AM   #28
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile View Post
There is no advantage of 4WD in an emergency braking situation. Period. ABS, brakes, and tires are your friends.

Don't know how many yuppies, soccer moms and weekend warriors I see in the ditch, a guard rail, or someone elses trunk because they think 4WD makes their SUV a tank in snow and ice.
I'd rather the ABS didn't try to help me out on snow or ice , but agree with the rest of your post .
Old 12-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #29
Back in the game!
Wile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I'd rather the ABS didn't try to help me out on snow or ice , but agree with the rest of your post .
I agree with you about ABS. Just something about a computer overruling the driver that doesn't sit well with me either.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:55 AM   #30

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree with you about ABS. Just something about a computer overruling the driver that doesn't sit well with me either.
I find that unlike on pavement where it does seem to help , on snow it tends to lock the wheels which increases braking distances rather than shortening them . I would rather be able to feel when the rears are locking so you can get off the brake and keep the ass from passing the front .
Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #31

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
I would rather see most of the assholes on the road with ABS..than going in full wheel lock-up with out it. Stopping on ice is easy..a guy just has to drive slower..
You calling me an asshole Twilight ?
Old 12-06-2010, 01:01 AM   #32
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Since ABS was designed to let you steer away from an obstacle during an emergency stop on dry pavement of course it will suck on slippery surfaces.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #33

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Well , perhaps your dry snow behaves differently than our wet snow , I find I slide a lot if the ABS kicks in .
Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 AM   #34

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No type of braking will stop sliding..that's where traction comes in..but allowing the wheels to rotate slightly will allow the driver steer.
Exactly my point .
Old 12-06-2010, 01:09 AM   #35
Back in the game!

Wile's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I would rather see most of the assholes on the road with ABS..than going in full wheel lock-up with out it. Stopping on ice is easy..a guy just has to drive slower..
Like I said in my original post. If people don't drive the 4x4 as if it was a tank and just drove according to the road conditions none of the ABS arguments would be needed.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #36
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jan (Pronounced Yan)
JanBoothius's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone argues, but is usually making the same point, with a slight twist of their own.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 AM   #37
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBoothius View Post
Everyone argues, but is usually making the same point, with a slight twist of their own.

Agreed

As anyone who has ever driven on ice knows, that sh$t ain't no fun, and if you let things get out of hand... Well your screwed, its doesn't make any difference how many wheel drive you have.

I do have to say, a couple weeks ago I was driving from Missoula to Billings. I90 for the most part was one huge ice skating rink. It was really pissin me off in my 2wd taco and I was being passed by 4wd tacos... I'm gonna join the ranks of TRD 4x4 one day!

Worst feeling ever, 40MPH on ice, and surrounded by cars. Take your foot off the gas a little, the rear end starts to slide out. Get on the gas a little, the rear end starts to slide out. That's a feeling of no control!

Ice sucks... Snow is just plain fun.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:06 AM   #38
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Worst feeling ever, 40MPH on ice, and surrounded by cars. Take your foot off the gas a little, the rear end starts to slide out. Get on the gas a little, the rear end starts to slide out. That's a feeling of no control!
This can happen in 4 wheel just as easy but the entire truck will start to slide. One of the biggest reasons for people in the ditch round here. If it's so slippery that taking you foot off the gas starts a slide you're driving way too fast for the road conditions period. A bit of weight may have saved you but be aware the same exact thing can happen in 4 wheel drive even worse. When the entire truck starts sliding you are just along for the ride. You have no brakes or steering.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:49 AM   #39
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap View Post
This can happen in 4 wheel just as easy but the entire truck will start to slide. One of the biggest reasons for people in the ditch round here. If it's so slippery that taking you foot off the gas starts a slide you're driving way too fast for the road conditions period. A bit of weight may have saved you but be aware the same exact thing can happen in 4 wheel drive even worse. When the entire truck starts sliding you are just along for the ride. You have no brakes or steering.
Oh I know, and agree.
I drove last year from Minneapolis to Des Moines on solid black ice in a 4x4. I was driving in 2wd for the very reason you stated.
That was really fun, I did end up in the median on that trip, but that was because I was pulling a trailer and started getting a strong east wind. One strong gust pushed the rear right out from under me. Good ol' POS durango, I just threw it in 4 high and kept on the gas and popped back up on the highway... And then stopped at the next stop to change my pants

The only reason I made it in the taco a few weeks ago was I had a 300lb toolbox in the bed. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it without it.
Trust me, I would have been driving slower, but traffic wouldn't allow, unless I wanted to get rear ended. Still took 11 hrs, and that was going with traffic.
Except those damn 4x4 Tacomas running 55-60 in the left lane that still had a little snow on it. I bet it didn't take them 11hrs
Old 12-06-2010, 06:37 AM   #40
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Want to stop on ice? Get some of these:

Yokohama Geolander IT

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1