1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

stopping on ice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jewels2, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Dec 5, 2010 at 9:08 PM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    Heavy stuff big tires drives like hell
    If you downshift (easier with a manual), then you WILL notice the benefit of 4wd in slick conditions.

Although most people say "4wd won't help you stop"... thats bullshit. It WILL help you stop, if you know how to use your transmission.

That said, it won't help you if you're the type of person that slams on the brakes with as much pressure as possible. Downshifting in 4wd will help with zero to little use of the brakes, and it will help a lot.

2. Dec 5, 2010 at 9:23 PM
    jewels2

jewels2 [OP] Member

Member:
    nebraska
    Vehicle:
    07 access cab sr5
    Don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying I'm feeling safe in 4wd. I've got 38,000 miles on these stock Dunlops and I feel anything but safe. What I'm trying to say is it feels like it stops quicker in 4wd than it does in 2wd. I bought the truck three years ago when I turned 60. First 4wd I've ever owned so maybe this is just lack of experiance on my part. The only time I've ever used 4wd is when we get snow and ice around our little town here in Nebraska. I've never used 4wd out on the open road. Anyway, I could very well be wrong here and probably am. Sure not the first time.

3. Dec 5, 2010 at 9:25 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    Physics is hard?????

This.

4. Dec 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Move the shifter over and down , not too hard on an auto :confused:

5. Dec 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Yes.

You should try using the 4wd in the other seasons too. Take it off road and get used to how it drives in different conditions. Just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to go hard core rock climbing. Just a dirt/gravel road will do. Also, it's recommended that you engage it at least once a month for a few km(miles) to keep all of the parts of the front driveshaft/etc lubricated.

6. Dec 5, 2010 at 11:12 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.

I agree with this, in snow, more controled.

7. Dec 5, 2010 at 11:44 PM
    Wile

Wile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    There is no advantage of 4WD in an emergency braking situation. Period. ABS, brakes, and tires are your friends.

Don't know how many yuppies, soccer moms and weekend warriors I see in the ditch, a guard rail, or someone elses trunk because they think 4WD makes their SUV a tank in snow and ice. :facepalm:

8. Dec 5, 2010 at 11:47 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I'd rather the ABS didn't try to help me out on snow or ice , but agree with the rest of your post .

9. Dec 5, 2010 at 11:53 PM
    Wile

Wile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    I agree with you about ABS. Just something about a computer overruling the driver that doesn't sit well with me either.

10. Dec 5, 2010 at 11:55 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I find that unlike on pavement where it does seem to help , on snow it tends to lock the wheels which increases braking distances rather than shortening them . I would rather be able to feel when the rears are locking so you can get off the brake and keep the ass from passing the front .

11. Dec 5, 2010 at 11:58 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You calling me an asshole Twilight ? :p

12. Dec 6, 2010 at 12:02 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Well , perhaps your dry snow behaves differently than our wet snow , I find I slide a lot if the ABS kicks in .

13. Dec 6, 2010 at 12:08 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Exactly my point .

14. Dec 6, 2010 at 12:09 AM
    Wile

Wile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Like I said in my original post. If people don't drive the 4x4 as if it was a tank and just drove according to the road conditions none of the ABS arguments would be needed. :D

15. Dec 6, 2010 at 12:23 AM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    Heavy stuff big tires drives like hell
    Everyone argues, but is usually making the same point, with a slight twist of their own.

16. Dec 6, 2010 at 12:52 AM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...

Agreed :D

As anyone who has ever driven on ice knows, that sh$t ain't no fun, and if you let things get out of hand... Well your screwed, its doesn't make any difference how many wheel drive you have.

I do have to say, a couple weeks ago I was driving from Missoula to Billings. I90 for the most part was one huge ice skating rink. It was really pissin me off in my 2wd taco and I was being passed by 4wd tacos... I'm gonna join the ranks of TRD 4x4 one day! :goingcrazy:

Worst feeling ever, 40MPH on ice, and surrounded by cars. Take your foot off the gas a little, the rear end starts to slide out. Get on the gas a little, the rear end starts to slide out. That's a feeling of no control!

Ice sucks... Snow is just plain fun.

17. Dec 6, 2010 at 1:06 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    This can happen in 4 wheel just as easy but the entire truck will start to slide. One of the biggest reasons for people in the ditch round here. If it's so slippery that taking you foot off the gas starts a slide you're driving way too fast for the road conditions period. A bit of weight may have saved you but be aware the same exact thing can happen in 4 wheel drive even worse. When the entire truck starts sliding you are just along for the ride. You have no brakes or steering.

18. Dec 6, 2010 at 1:49 AM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...
    Oh I know, and agree.
    I drove last year from Minneapolis to Des Moines on solid black ice in a 4x4. I was driving in 2wd for the very reason you stated.
    That was really fun, I did end up in the median on that trip, but that was because I was pulling a trailer and started getting a strong east wind. One strong gust pushed the rear right out from under me. Good ol' POS durango, I just threw it in 4 high and kept on the gas and popped back up on the highway... And then stopped at the next stop to change my pants :eek:

The only reason I made it in the taco a few weeks ago was I had a 300lb toolbox in the bed. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it without it.
    Trust me, I would have been driving slower, but traffic wouldn't allow, unless I wanted to get rear ended. Still took 11 hrs, and that was going with traffic.
    Except those damn 4x4 Tacomas running 55-60 in the left lane that still had a little snow on it. I bet it didn't take them 11hrs :mad:

19. Dec 6, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    Want to stop on ice? Get some of these:

Yokohama Geolander IT

[​IMG]

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1

[​IMG]

20. Dec 6, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Well what about engine braking? 4 wheels doing engine braking is better than rears only.

Products Discussed in

To Top