Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

stopping on ice

Old 12-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #42
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
Well what about engine braking? 4 wheels doing engine braking is better than rears only.
Still nothing. On a 0 traction surface as ice a open diff 4wd truck is going to act as a 2wd. So when engine braking on ice you will have one front and one rear tire doing the engine braking.

Anyones best bet while driving on ice will be to slow down. I don't get how people with 4wd can think that it is safe for them go as fast as they want on slippery surfaces just because they can pop it into 4wd.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #43
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the people seem to forget that front and rear wheels are locked in 4HI, which will have an effect on braking. And the op didn't ask for "parental advices" here, he just submitted a fact, so please stop with that "you must slow down where it's slippery" know-all, and stay on subject.

For I, I have not observed a difference in braking in 4wd, but sure will look at it, I really think it might have an effect where wheels will brake more evenly.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #44
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
40 mph on ice? real ice? or icy conditions?

that is crazy. i go slow.

4x4 braking on ice doenst do jack. same four brakes grabbing the same four tires..
Old 12-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #45
Sighless is on a distinguished road
Sighless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XTaco View Post
I know everyone says it makes no difference, but I still argue that having 4 wheels stopping you equally, will stop you quicker than two wheels sliding and two pushing.
you should always have 4 wheels stopping you.. our trucks have brakes on all 4 corners.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #46
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
You must be from Quebec..ignore list for you aswell.
Oh no, ignored by Mr Wolf. Fact is that the subject of the post is not about being more prudent and going slower when it's icy, everyone knows that, it's about whether 4HI lock have an effect on braking or no, whatever your opinion.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #47
wyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: BLM/FS
wyotaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Drove from Jackson to Boise last week. It was -20 degree windchill and around 5 degrees with blowing snow and VERY slick roads. Many accidents. Solid ice for over 200 of 400 miles. 4x4 will not help in braking TOO much, but it does seem to add a little resistance to the front tires. 4x4 will always be better than 2wd on ice. Just go in 2wd on an icesheet for a little, then turn on the 4x4....big difference in traction. Has been the case with all of my trucks. For the first time in any truck, I bought two 60lb sand bags for the ride, the road were as bad as I can remember.
Biggest thing I have learned about icedriving in the last few years is to be aware of downshifing in an auto tran on ice. That will swing your backend around quickly if you throttle to hard on ice, and the trans shifts down, specially up hills, and in 2wd

I drove 60-65 comfortably in 4x4 for over 150 miles, each way.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #48
jewels2 is on a distinguished road
jewels2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supralight View Post
Oh no, ignored by Mr Wolf. Fact is that the subject of the post is not about being more prudent and going slower when it's icy, everyone knows that, it's about whether 4HI lock have an effect on braking or no, whatever your opinion.

Exactly. Thankyou sir.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #49
rhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: helo electrician
rhys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIRS View Post
we were hit with a blizzard last week and all of the slide offs on the freeway I saw were SUV's, trucks, and Audis (AWD). Having 4wd gives you false confidence in slippery conditions if you arent careful. 4x4 or awd wont do anything as far as helping you stop faster. Its whether or not your tires have contact with the road.

I had a front wheel drive honda crx in college that i put snow tires with studs on every winter. I remember a guy in a full size ford trying to get up a snow packed road but couldnt do it. I drove around him and up the road and over the hill. Its all about traction and grip and if the power is getting to the road/ground, not necessarily if the engines output is reaching all four wheels or not.
torque really.... i pretty much keep my rpms under 2000 on slippery roads unless im at cruising speed around 45 ish ill probably be in 5th which i think is a little over 2k. i dont know why the retards around here with their big ass trucks put the pedal to the metal trying to accelerate, but all they are doing is destroying their spider gears. those gears dont have bearings and arent meant to spin like that. i guess its easier to do without a torque converter.
sorry im off topic too
Old 12-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #50
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
On today's news. Pretty funny. Some lucky people that knew how to drive and some truly clueless ones too. Notice the people that stayed off the brakes made it?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...ars.khq?hpt=C2
Old 12-20-2010, 07:54 AM   #51
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XTaco View Post
I know everyone says it makes no difference, but I still argue that having 4 wheels stopping you equally, will stop you quicker than two wheels sliding and two pushing.
This theory is incorrect, because as noted, there are brakes on all 4 wheels on every car and truck, NOT 2 brakes on 2wd and 4 brakes on 4wd.
Going by your theory you would have 4 wheels 'pushing' in 4wd, so it would be even worse.

I see just as many 4wd vehicles in the ditch during snowstorms as I do 2wd cars and trucks. People with 4wd sometimes tend to get overconfident and THINK they can stop just because they can go.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #52
Hellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jason
Hellmutt's Tacoma Gallery
I got to experience this very problem myself just last week......negotiating an icy left turn and the rear end started sliding out, so I countersteer to bring the truck back in line......but failed to countersteer quickly enough and the truck continued sliding beyond "correctability" ( probably not a word, but suits my story ) so I had to let off the gas to help correct the trucks path, but all that did was slingshot the rear of the truck in the opposite direction to the point of slamming into the curb and breaking the rear wheel and bending an axleshaft......4x4 or not, I NEVER touched the brakes.......if I had locked up all 4 wheels, probably would have been even worse damage - but empty parking lot winter antics as a teenager was enough practice to keep me from panic, just wish I'd have thought enough ahead to throw it in reverse and nail the gas to slow her down.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #53
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
In my oppinion....being in 4WD in any snowy or icy conditions is better than being in 2WD - but mostly for 'controllability'

On ice...going slow yet keeping up momentum. Giving yourself TONS and TONS of room to slow down (engine braking) with very small changes (nothing abrupt or you're screwed).

I remember working 25 miles from my house many years ago. An ice storm hit and the roads were covered with 1" of ice. It took me 2.5 hours to get home and most of the time, I kept both my passenger side tires on the right burm because there was snow underneath the newly coated ice.....
Old 12-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #54
BarkSlayer is on a distinguished road

Name: Jim
BarkSlayer's Tacoma Gallery
I just put a set of the Bridgestone Blizzak DV-1M tires on my Taco last Thursday night and they're amazing on snow and ice. What a difference!
Highly recommended.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #55
Hellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jason
Hellmutt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
In my oppinion....being in 4WD in any snowy or icy conditions is better than being in 2WD - but mostly for 'controllability'

On ice...going slow yet keeping up momentum. Giving yourself TONS and TONS of room to slow down (engine braking) with very small changes (nothing abrupt or you're screwed).

I remember working 25 miles from my house many years ago. An ice storm hit and the roads were covered with 1" of ice. It took me 2.5 hours to get home and most of the time, I kept both my passenger side tires on the right burm because there was snow underneath the newly coated ice.....
I agree when it's icy that we have to drive almost painfully slow, but I had no idea what was ahead of me as the road was clear before I got to the turn......and it was an uphill turn to boot, so went in blind until the truck had already started sliding. Sucks too, was hoping this was a good excuse to replace my stockers with sweet aftermarket wheels, but the dealer is taking me for $1250......there goes the shiny new wheel money
Old 12-20-2010, 08:54 AM   #56
motoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant future
motoxer311's Tacoma Gallery
I wanna play on the ice......
Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #57
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Keeping the wheels turning while on ice is the key to keeping control . Slowing down can be a trick , slowly on the brake , and off if you feel a lock up , let the wheels turn , keep steering control , repeat as necessary .
Old 12-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #58
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap View Post
On today's news. Pretty funny. Some lucky people that knew how to drive and some truly clueless ones too. Notice the people that stayed off the brakes made it?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...ars.khq?hpt=C2

LMAO!!!!!! Very funny...

I just have to note the taco at the end was being all careful making it down just fine and some doucher in an F250 came barreling down and almost flipped his rig... Jerk offs.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #59
sick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant future

Name: Eric
sick 3.4 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
that video was amazing im so glad that tacoma made it threw there safe hahaha
Old 12-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #60
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Better to mount the curb with wheels facing then slam into it sideways attempting to stop. But like OZ-T said, wheels turning. That's the point of ABS. It doesn't help you stop, it helps you retain steering ability.