Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

stopping on ice

Old 12-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #61
hkbeliever will become famous soon enoughhkbeliever will become famous soon enough
hkbeliever's Tacoma Gallery
I am kind of shocked that no one is recommending shifting into nuetral when trying to stop in an auto trans. Of course with a clutch just the same. It takes away the forward pushing and braking working against each other. I have to remind someone of this every winter and without fail I get a huge thank you!
That being said... Studded tires beat even Blizzaks on ice hands down. I buy new studded tires on average every 2-3 years for all my familys vehicles. Old studs are still better than not but new studs...I can hear them grabbing and I skid to a stop quickly. 40 Years here in the mountains of Colorado and learned to drive here before I was 10 (once in a while with parental consent....lol). I hear people compare their brand tires to studs all the time and have tried myself with a car that we couldn't get studs for, the only thing that comes close...those Yoko tires with walnut shells in the rubber.
Downside to studs....NOISE! I can deal with it as I just crank the stereo but I find the number one reason people dislike them is noise and price for a winter set of tires. You have to ask yourself "what does even a minor fender bender cost to repair and even worse a trip to the ER?!!

Jus sayin
Old 01-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #62
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
They have some more brilliant icy road driving video here, watch it before it's removed cause it's on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...ing.cnn?hpt=T2
Old 01-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #63
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkbeliever View Post
That being said... Studded tires beat even Blizzaks on ice hands down. I buy new studded tires on average every 2-3 years for all my familys vehicles. Old studs are still better than not but new studs...I can hear them grabbing and I skid to a stop quickly. 40 Years here in the mountains of Colorado and learned to drive here before I was 10 (once in a while with parental consent....lol). I hear people compare their brand tires to studs all the time and have tried myself with a car that we couldn't get studs for, the only thing that comes close...those Yoko tires with walnut shells in the rubber.
Downside to studs....NOISE! I can deal with it as I just crank the stereo but I find the number one reason people dislike them is noise and price for a winter set of tires. You have to ask yourself "what does even a minor fender bender cost to repair and even worse a trip to the ER?!!
Jus sayin
yes I am much happier now running studded snow tires.
The stopping ability is night & day especially when towing.
No more ABS kick in on glazed roads.
Uphill I can hear & experience the gripping.
My anxiety level is much calmer for those sudden temp changes which we see a lot more now with global warming.
In the parking lots all I hear is tick tick tick, so apparently lots of other people use them too.
Yes one fender bender or black ice experience is all it takes. It happens in a blink of an eye.