Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Broken Wiper Motor Arm - Fix With Pics

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
tsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of light

tsilliker's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to tsilliker
Broken Wiper Motor Arm - Fix With Pics

This morning my right hand side wiper arm quit working in a snow storm. A pivot inside the wiper mechanism from the motor separated the arm from the lever. Here is what I did to fix it.

Here is the motor assembly on my bench.

Close up of the pivot that separated. It is pressed in.

I drilled it out in preparation for the fix

I put a nut inside the plastic piece to take up the room of the former round pivot. The new bolt moves around inside this. It is a #6-32 1 1/4 inch length.

Here is a close up of the lever and arm put back together. I greased it up well.

Here it is put back in the truck.

Here is the finished wiper in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vru19zr3g_o
Old 12-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Proud American
boonduff is on a distinguished road
Name: Gordie
boonduff's Tacoma Gallery
Good cheap fix. The same thing happened to my wifes Cavalier. I went to the dealer and found that you can't buy new clips you have to buy the whole wiper transmission assembly for $120. I said bullshit, and did the same fix you did. The clips on the Cavalier look to be the same used on the Tacoma. I guess made by the same supplier.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Tckwarrior is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
Tckwarrior's Tacoma Gallery
Decent, I can't imagine what the stealership wants for a replacement. I'll make sure to do this if mine ever breaks.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Taco11 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Taco11's Tacoma Gallery
Most likely the ball cup was worn out. Which I am not sure if these are the exact ones but they look like it. Dorman make them and an assortment of others. From my experience they will have one that works or you can make work.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...=20-68229771-2
Old 12-06-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
tsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of light

This video just came up in relation to the one I made.

An alternate title might be "Wipers For Dummies."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv-s8VBoxzo
Old 12-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
MYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant future
MYSUV's Tacoma Gallery
Trim over wiper motor/linkage

Any chance you can give me an idea of how to remove the trim covering the wiper motor and linkage? I suspect I have this same problem right now. I have no garage to work in, and it's snowing and cold as heck right now. With the snow packed in and around it's hard to see what's holding that trim in place. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #7

It is fairly straightforward to remove the black trim. There are two clips, one on each end. These are removed using a philips screwdriver. Along the leading edge all along its length are clips that need to be pried up to release them.

The ends of the black trim are clipped onto the large cowl trim and one may become separated from the cowl trim when pulling the whole works free. It can be re-attached when putting the cowl trim back on. Be sure to have a look at how the ends of the trim fit with the corner of the windshield before removing the whole thing so that you can put it back in the same way.

Once the motor and linkage is out, then it is possible to bring it inside to work on. Good luck, be sure to post again with any questions and results.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:03 AM   #8
MYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant future
MYSUV's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!

It was the same problem you described here. Thanks for making it an easy fix.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSUV View Post
It was the same problem you described here. Thanks for making it an easy fix.
Glad it helped!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
TheEh-Team.ca
buck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
buck's Tacoma Gallery
reviving the old:

I can't pull the wiper arms off of the pivots. I need to do this to remove the plastic trim cowl. I have a wiper arm puller, but I can't fit the tool under the arm.

Any tips on removing the arm? Tried prying with a screwdriver as well but no luck.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #11

Once the nut is removed, it should slide up and off the shaft. Give it a tug as you move it a bit side to side.

As an aside to this repair, the bolt recently broke after operating for a year. Not impressive. for lack of any better solution at the moment, I just threw another bolt in there. Took about 30 minutes of my time.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #12
TheEh-Team.ca
buck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
buck's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know. Maybe I'll look at trying a larger bolt.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #13
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome writeup!! Id say if youre back in there againyou might try useing a grade 8 bolt from the hardware store ( they are usuall gold in color and typically have an 8 stamped on the head) much stonger than average bolts and will far outlast them
Old 01-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
TheEh-Team.ca
buck's Tacoma Gallery
I had to make a wiper arm puller to get the arms off. They were on there good.

I ended up retaining the original ball & socket. I drilled a hole right through the ball & socket, just big enough for a #8 bolt to fit through. Decided to keep it to take the lateral/shear load, leaving the #8 bolt to just hold the arm from falling off. Packed grease in the ball/socket. The bolt isn't squishing the assembly, just holding it lightly.

Hope it holds up. $242 for a wiper transmission from the dealer.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
gdctaco is on a distinguished road
gdctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Same thing just happened, thanks for all the info in this thread. Fixed her up in no time.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #16

My idea of using a #6 bolt is obviously not adequate. It just broke again in less than a year. This time I used #8 hardware, which has a larger diameter. Hopefully this will last a little longer.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #17
sierra015 is on a distinguished road
Name: Filip
sierra015's Tacoma Gallery
perfect solution! did it in less then 1hr
thanx
Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsilliker View Post
My idea of using a #6 bolt is obviously not adequate. It just broke again in less than a year. This time I used #8 hardware, which has a larger diameter. Hopefully this will last a little longer.
Maybe a shoulder bolt, so the arm doesn't grind on the threaded portion of the bolt? Fastenal sells these in M4 size. You can probably find them at McMaster as well.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:01 AM   #19
jbars is on a distinguished road
Name: Barzzy
jbars's Tacoma Gallery
shoulder bolt length

Gent's
Can I ask what length of shoulder bolt #6 you used on this wiper tranie fix. I want to do mine this weekend.
Thanx for your time.

Products Discussed in this Thread