1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

08 Clutch Start Cancel Mod?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by billybobsgoat, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Aug 10, 2008 at 7:25 PM
    billybobsgoat

billybobsgoat [OP] Member of the Goat Army

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR CCSB Graphite
    On my 08 TRD offroad, 4.0 six speed 4x2 was there an option for the Clutch Start Cancel on the Gen 2 Tacos? on my 1994 I had the clutch start cancel and loved it. any ideas?

2. Aug 10, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    TacoinSC

TacoinSC I'd rather be in Jamaica...

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 A.C. 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Undercover
    My truck has it. I think it only comes on the 4x4's...

3. Aug 10, 2008 at 7:43 PM
    billybobsgoat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wonder if the wiring harness is the same and I could buy the switch and install it??

4. Aug 10, 2008 at 8:07 PM
    johnnylightning

johnnylightning Member

Member:
    franklin nj
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport barcelona red
    front skid plate, hood deflector, tubesteps
    my 09 dc 4x4 has it

5. Aug 11, 2008 at 5:21 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Seems like a good time- Besides for starting it in the driveway or to get the inverter going without climbing in-

What do you use it for??

6. Aug 11, 2008 at 6:13 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Stall out on a steep climb, and you dont want to burn the clutch to restart.

7. Aug 11, 2008 at 8:35 AM
    Mingy

Mingy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    Methinks you'd burn your starter instead!

If there is a failure in the clutch mechanism out in the boonies, you can restart the vehicle in gear (on a flat) and get home by power shifting. Happened more often with a clutch cable system, but it does happen.

8. Aug 11, 2008 at 8:39 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That makes sense- Stalling on the steep hill and using the clutch start cancel seems like a wash-It's a trick to start in gear on a flat....Up hill...holy cow.

I'll just stick to using mine to start the truck in neutral when I don't want to get into the drivers seat.

9. Aug 11, 2008 at 8:42 AM
    Mingy

Mingy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    Yeah - be verwy verwy careful its not in gear though - that can hurt! :)

(been there, done that in the days when any standard would start in gear clutch or no)

10. Aug 11, 2008 at 8:50 AM
    hashemg

hashemg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Reg Cab 4x4
    3" Lift, Camburg Coil-Overs and UCA, 3" All Pro Leafs and OME rear shock, 33X12.5R17 Mickey Thompson on teflon coated American racing rims, Black headlight mod, Black taillight mod, tourneau cover, cargo divider, door sil protecors.
    The Clutch start cancel switch is to help you creep out of a mud pit if you are stuck.

For example if u stall it out and are in the mud, you put it in first and start it. it will jerk foward and he;lp you inch out the mud!!!

one of the primaray reason for it

11. Aug 11, 2008 at 9:07 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I park in neutral with the park brake set- I'm not worried about freezing in FL....and yeah...I check before I turn it.

That also makes sense- Rough on the cluch/engine tho, no??

12. Aug 11, 2008 at 10:00 AM
    hashemg

hashemg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Reg Cab 4x4
    3" Lift, Camburg Coil-Overs and UCA, 3" All Pro Leafs and OME rear shock, 33X12.5R17 Mickey Thompson on teflon coated American racing rims, Black headlight mod, Black taillight mod, tourneau cover, cargo divider, door sil protecors.

not rough on clutch because its fully in gear...so ur not grinding ne thing

engine....kinda not really.......because as long as ur e-brake is not on, the engne will push the truck. it should be rough on it at all

13. Aug 11, 2008 at 12:07 PM
    TacoinSC

TacoinSC I'd rather be in Jamaica...

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 A.C. 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Undercover
    I think the only additional strain or wear would be on the starter itself, because it's not only turning the engine, but the transmission and rear end, too. Which is why it's supposed to be used for special situations, such as the mud pit mentioned by hashemg. I could also see it being helpful if you were to stall on a boat ramp.

14. Aug 11, 2008 at 4:32 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Starting on hills or while stuck and in gear is what it was DESIGNED for. That's the soul reason Toyota put it in. They even advertise it that way. They sure don't list it for "starting without getting in the truck."

And for the few seconds it takes to get your truck going it's not going to burn anything out. And honestly, does anyone wheel enough and get stuck enough to use it enough times to damage anything? I use it all the time to start the truck without getting in, but have never once needed it on any of the trails I've been on. So wear and tear is a non-issue.

My Corolla always needed the clutch mashed to the floor to start, and sometimes the floor mats got in the way. I bypassed it be unhooking the plug from the switch behind the pedal, and jamming a U shaped piece of metal into the plugs. Something like a staple or piece of a paper clip, and black tape around it. Been like that for 7 years now. :D

15. Aug 11, 2008 at 4:41 PM
    kwalton

kwalton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, Md
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Sport 4x4
    i have the clutch cancel on 4x4 08 which i used all the time for starting when i did not want to get into the truck. i have since bypassed the clutch since i installed a remote starter alarm and yes i always leave it in neutral.

16. Aug 11, 2008 at 4:41 PM
    billybobsgoat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Is it possible the harness is the same on the 4x2 and the switch can be installed or am I going to have to bypass it so I dont have to depress the cluth on cold starts

17. Aug 11, 2008 at 5:03 PM
    kwalton

kwalton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, Md
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Sport 4x4
    if you want i can tell you how to do it with a simple relay and push button or toggle switch

18. Aug 11, 2008 at 5:10 PM
    billybobsgoat

Member:
    Vehicle:

Please do, Thanks

19. Aug 11, 2008 at 5:16 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft

It could probably also be done with a simple switch to close the circuit. Not sure how the Toyota switch is wired, but you could unhook the wires from the clutch button. Then run both wires to a switch that closes the connection. You could either cut both wires requiring you to use the switch/button to start or splice into them to allow either way: switch or clutch pedal.

20. Aug 11, 2008 at 5:21 PM
    billybobsgoat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    which hole is the clutch start cancel button located I am wondering if If it is already wired and all it needs is the button?

Products Discussed in

To Top