Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

converting Sport Model to A-TRAC

Old 12-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #41
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
There is no MPH limit to ATRAC or the locker. Toyota suggests that you go no faster than 5mph with the rear end locked but that is only to cover their ass from crappy drivers.
AFAIK A-TRAC will become innactive, when the rear locker is engaged, when vehicle speed goes over 3 (maybe 5) MPH.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #42
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by supralight View Post
AFAIK A-TRAC will become innactive, when the rear locker is engaged, when vehicle speed goes over 3 (maybe 5) MPH.
I have used both in my truck at the same time. The locker stays active and I can hear the brake pump working and the ATRAC light stays on. I know you couldn't use both in the FJ but Toyota changed it. I'll have to try again. Maybe me hearing the pump for the brakes was just something I ate that day. LOL. I have never heard anything about a 3mph limit for ATRAC though.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #43
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
No, it requires a difference in wheel speed rotation in the same differential. Difference.

The second is me running the EXACT SAME BOWL about 2 minutes later with A-TRAC only, no locker. The sound you hear is A-TRAC kicking in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_1Ii...layer_embedded

Good call. But Hey...I like a good ol' shitstorm
And that's a great application of A-TRAC. I've never said that A-TRAC doesn't have its place.

But that's not rock crawling, so it doesn't address the point that I've made.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #44
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by supralight View Post
So I guess that when the rear locker is engaged, the 3MPH maximum speed for A-TRAC to be active is useless then?

Try the thing before bashing it.
There is not a 3 MPH maximum for A-TRAC. See the videos of David_K climbing hills at a decent speed with it engaged.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #45
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
And that's a great application of A-TRAC. I've never said that A-TRAC doesn't have its place.

But that's not rock crawling, so it doesn't address the point that I've made.
It addresses some points - you can clearly see the wheel stopped and matched to the opposite side by the brakes, you can clearly see the truck is crawling (I actually came to a complete stop in the bowl) - you can clearly see that it was smoother than the locker in this instance (there are variables...different suspension, different tires...I am not suggesting it's smoother than a locker every time).

I have no reason to believe A-TRAC would make you ANY more likely to break something during rock crawling than any other device. It's actually going to be less stressful on the truck overall because the diff doesn't undergo the stresses a locked differential sees. At the same time it's being less stressful, it may not get you to the same places. I have yet to take this truck down a dedicated rock yard like Rausch or build a rock sluice in my back yard. Stay tuned for further developments.

Anyway, can we all get back to the original topic and agree that converting to A-TRAC is not a good idea?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #46
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
or we could start bashing allpoo
+ repped.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
It addresses some points - you can clearly see the wheel stopped and matched to the opposite side by the brakes, you can clearly see the truck is crawling (I actually came to a complete stop in the bowl) - you can clearly see that it was smoother than the locker in this instance (there are variables...different suspension, different tires...I am not suggesting it's smoother than a locker every time).

I have no reason to believe A-TRAC would make you ANY more likely to break something during rock crawling than any other device. It's actually going to be less stressful on the truck overall because the diff doesn't undergo the stresses a locked differential sees. At the same time it's being less stressful, it may not get you to the same places. I have yet to take this truck down a dedicated rock yard like Rausch or build a rock sluice in my back yard. Stay tuned for further developments.

Anyway, can we all get back to the original topic and agree that converting to A-TRAC is not a good idea?
Again, I'm not talking about trails like the one you posted the video of. That's rough terrain and the A-TRAC can do very well there, but it's entirely different world than rock crawling.

Just ask yourself why the guys who wheel hard on this site and have newer trucks still purchase air lockers, even though they have A-TRAC...

I'm talking about situations like this:

sub-0.5 MPH, large rocks, require the tires to climb the rocks. Wheel slippage, even minute amounts (like those required to activate A-TRAC), sucks in situations like this. Trust me, I abuse the hell out of my truck getting through stuff like that on the LSD.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #48
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
If you want the rear end locked, then the A-TRAC (on the front end in this case) is active to 3 mph. That really doesn't matter because once you have tried both... you find out the A-TRAC works alone... and doesn't need to rear locked... A-TRAC does it, and A-TRAC alone does not have a speed limit... only the fact you are in low range will be the limit.

If you are in a situation that you think requires the rear locked and the A-TRAC, then you won't worry about 3 mph.

A-TRAC doesn't need the rear to be locked... it will take of the traction needs front and back.

jandrews is correct about adding lockers to a non A-TRAC rig. Do that.

What I say is that A-TRAC offers the traction of front and rear lockers on a stock, showroom truck. Nothing more needs to be added to go to the wild places we like to get to.

Front lockers are great if you don't have A-TRAC already... Lockers give equal torque to both tires, all the time. They hinder steeing, so you will be turning them on and off alot on the trail... but they are quiet when engaged.

A-TRAC gives torque to the traction tire by matching the non-traction tire's rotation to it (with the brakes instead of gears in the differential). That makes a noise, but you have no loss of steering control and do not need to turn it on and off as you drive.

If TRAC and A-TRAC were not available, I would want lockers. If only TRAC was available, I would do the Yellow Wire Mod (4-Lo TRAC mod).
Old 12-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #49
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
I think the best cheapest would be throw those crappy BFG a/t away and get some real tires like the KM2s. Just My .02 I have been in trucks with A TRAC and its not worth it. Most of the time your basic 4x4, a little speed and some good tires and you will get through it
Old 12-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #50

Quote:
Just ask yourself why the guys who wheel hard on this site and have newer trucks still purchase air lockers, even though they have A-TRAC...
Because BOTH are useful tools as I have said several times now.

I have A-TRAC. I'm letting Lrgrnr be my guinea pig for a front locker in these IFS trucks. If his front diff and axles hold up well to a year or so of abuse, I'm going to lock my front as well on top of the A-TRAC. I'm not convinced the front end of the drivetrain can handle the stresses of a locked diff.

Paging HBmurphy...

Quote:

sub-0.5 MPH, large rocks, require the tires to climb the rocks. Wheel slippage, even minute amounts (like those required to activate A-TRAC), sucks in situations like this. Trust me, I abuse the hell out of my truck getting through stuff like that on the LSD.
So...what's the point? That A-TRAC is sometimes better and lockers are sometimes better?

I think I said that in that monster fucking thread of David K's like a month ago. And I said again here a few posts ago. I said it again in response to your quote above. If that's what you're getting at then we aren't disagreeing and I have no idea what we're debating here.

I wouldn't want A-TRAC for slick descents, where a locker would be a better tool to control wheelspin more predictably.

I can still see situations where A-TRAC would be the preferred option on rocks (primarily high flex situations where one wheel is completely off the ground).
Old 12-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
My scoop has A-trac

Enjoying the latest shitfit?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #52

Quote:
And where the fuck are you getting that front locker hinders steering? If you are on a hard surface then yes. I you are in a situation then no. I think we proved that also this weekend when we had 2 trucks about to colide and I spotted the guy with his F and R locked to do a full lock passenger turn with the front locked to add the truck from slipping into the other vehicle. I don't know about you but I'm not gonna be locking the front on pavment or hard pack.
I'd agree with that. With proper use, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #53

Is it time for a lock yet?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #55
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Quote:
Fuck Allpro!! A-Trac's great!!!
Tryed to repp, but i wont let me, damn
Old 12-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
Tryed to repp, but i wont let me, damn
Got yer back.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
I must have esp cause I knew it was going to turn into allpoo bashing in here

Well, if their stuff didn't kill mileage so much...
Old 12-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #58
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation

I have examined much technical material and I can say that it is not recommended to retrofit A-TRAC to a non-offroad 4x4 Tacoma. With thousands of dollars you may be able to do it. I can tell you from my research that There are hardware differences between Brake boosters that sets the 4x4 off-road models apart from all other model Tacomas. The 4x4 off-road model has a hydraulic brake booster, and all other Tacoma's have the vacuum brake booster.

If anyone out there was thinking that to add A-TRAC it's just a simple addition of some electronics--its not.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #59

And this is why none of the other offroad Toyota websites take TW seriously....
Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #60
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
And this is why none of the other offroad Toyota websites take TW seriously....
http://ttora.com/forum/

Don't let the door hit you on the ass.