Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

converting Sport Model to A-TRAC

Old 12-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
Question converting Sport Model to A-TRAC

I haven't been able to find this info in the old threads. If I wanted to add A-TRAC to my sport truck, what parts (and part numbers) would I need?

I know it will require a hydraulic brake booster instead of the vacuum booster I have. (part number?)

Is there an offroad specific computer/VSC computer/etc?

Different instrument cluster?

Wiring changes?

ABS sensors/computer?

I am considering this a feasibility study. I would love having A-TRAC available. I will be adding F/R lockers and gears at some point, but If I can make minor mechanical changes for a under a thousand dollars, I am getting a huge capability increase for a small fraction of the cost.

Cheers.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
I really don't know about the fesability, but a sport tacoma, with the cool look, A-TRAC equiped, would be NEAT!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Not worth it IMO. Just get lockers.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Not worth it IMO. Just get lockers.
x2
Old 12-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
just buy a trd offroad and get a new hood bumber and door handles.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWtacoma View Post
just buy a trd offroad and get a new hood bumber and door handles.
seriously guys... thanks for the useless replies x3. If I wanted an OR model, I would have bought one... I intended from the get go to install new gears and lockers F/R... so why pay for an OR model? ALSO, IT was MANDATORY that I get the bigger bed.

We aren't talking about a 4x4 conversion... it is a brake booster and maybe a few sensors. I should be able to get all of the parts from a wrecked truck... if I knew what other parts I needed.

I know the gurus out there with their wiring diagrams and service manuals can do a side by side comparison and come up with a part list... please!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
huckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nice
huckyourmeat's Tacoma Gallery
sorry I don't have much to offer in the way of actual answers, but you might post this over in the tech forum as well. Some of those guys have the in-depth knowledge to answer your question.

good luck!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Just get lockers, you can not do this conversion under the $1K
You need to replace whole ECM plus skidd computer and reprogram which alone is way over $1K
Brake booster is another $600 - $1000 so you will be way above of price of two lockers. I think ABS sensors are the same since you have 09 which has VSC.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #10
Tacoma convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
X3.
yea that should be cheap and won't void any warranties Take it from people who know - lockers and be done.

We were just discussing this at the URE, N.C. meet and lockers are the only way to go unless you wanna dump tons of cash for a shittier means to get somewhere.
  1. To reiterate, please treat this as intended in my 1st post "I am considering this a feasibility study". This is a mental exercise.
  2. What is this warrenty you speak of? My truck is so far from stock that I will be very hard pressed to get anything covered. These lockers you speak of... are they covered under warrenty? the new gears? when I grenade something in my IFS will that be covered? The point is completely moot.
  3. I can worry about the cost and do my own cost/performance calculations.
  4. As I already stated, I will eventually be going to lockers Front and Rear.
  5. A-TRAC is a superior means to go somewhere >75% of the time. While lockers have a great place in offroading, they are not the be-all, end-all, mythical panacea people make them out to be.
  6. Let us please try to avoid the A-TRAC vs TRAC vs Auto-LSD vs Locker debate...
So far on the list we have 'ECM, ''skidd'' computer', and brake booster.
BlueT, when you said skidd computer, are you refering to a VSC module behind the dash? Do you have part numbers for an 09 Sport vs 09 OR?

Can anyone confirm if the ECM has a different part number? Will new keys need to be coded for the ECM?

Thank you for input so far guys. Keep it coming.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperstd View Post
  1. To reiterate, please treat this as intended in my 1st post "I am considering this a feasibility study". This is a mental exercise.
  2. What is this warrenty you speak of? My truck is so far from stock that I will be very hard pressed to get anything covered. These lockers you speak of... are they covered under warrenty? the new gears? when I grenade something in my IFS will that be covered? The point is completely moot.
  3. I can worry about the cost and do my own cost/performance calculations.
  4. As I already stated, I will eventually be going to lockers Front and Rear.
  5. A-TRAC is a superior means to go somewhere >75% of the time. While lockers have a great place in offroading, they are not the be-all, end-all, mythical panacea people make them out to be.
  6. Let us please try to avoid the A-TRAC vs TRAC vs Auto-LSD vs Locker debate...
So far on the list we have 'ECM, ''skidd'' computer', and brake booster.
BlueT, when you said skidd computer, are you refering to a VSC module behind the dash? Do you have part numbers for an 09 Sport vs 09 OR?

Can anyone confirm if the ECM has a different part number? Will new keys need to be coded for the ECM?

Thank you for input so far guys. Keep it coming.
Dont have part numbers (behind the dash on pass side that would be 4wd ECU, I think skid is in the engine bay) , and yes everything needs to be reprogrammed. Also not sure if you can just buy junk computer and swapped in your truck. I think 09+ would need blank one.
Plus do you know if you have all the wiring ?
If you need to get new harness that would be costly and hard to replace.
Honestly if you are so keen on getting A-Trac (not sure why ) easiest way would be to get Offroad truck and just swap hood and color coded items from the body

Oh and I completely dont agree with your #5.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
Living the dream !!!
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Quote:
...If I wanted an OR model, I would have bought one... I intended from the get go to install new gears and lockers F/R... so why pay for an OR model? ALSO, IT was MANDATORY that I get the bigger bed.
Actually the electric factory rear locker alone is worth the price difference of the OR TRD model.

And I wasn't aware that the OR had a smaller bed then the Sport - that's news to me.

Also, your question has been posted before (in the correct and appropriate technical chat area).. here

Anyway I get your line of thinking.. ATRAC is wicked cool and I wish my 07 had it, and I have too much invested in mine to just trade it off for a model with ATRAC.. of course I think the best option is to get the lockers, or limited slips.. the front locker really binds up the steering/turning and a limited slip up front seems more practical to me. The rear locker is fantastic! I love mine, I did the mod so it can be engaged anytime I want. Really fun.

Best wishes in your quest for answers..
Old 12-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
Tacoma convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
If you need to get new harness that would be costly and hard to replace.
Agreed. I think that a new wiring harness would render this infeasible. However, wiring harnesses are usually very common across all models to save money... however on my first however, I have the biggest version of our trucks-being the 4dr, longer bed... which might mean it has a different harness.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post

And I wasn't aware that the OR had a smaller bed then the Sport - that's news to me.
He just wanted the sport with the long bed since the long bed is not available with the offroad package.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
ser240z is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
ser240z's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
He just wanted the sport with the long bed since the long bed is not available with the offroad package.
I have an '09, I thought the deciding factor for the long bed was the transmission not the model? I'm almost sure that I could've gotten the O/R with a longer bed if I got an automatic. Sorry off topic.

As far as A-Trac goes, doesn't it only work when 4lo is engaged?

Scott
Old 12-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
Tacoma convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post

Also, your question has been posted before (in the correct and appropriate technical chat area).. here

Best wishes in your quest for answers..
Good link. Thank you. The 4 door "Long" bed is not available in Off Road trim . If it had been, I would be driving that instead.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #17

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Agreed. I think that a new wiring harness would render this infeasible. However, wiring harnesses are usually very common across all models to save money... however on my first however, I have the biggest version of our trucks-being the 4dr, longer bed... which might mean it has a different harness.
I have 07 DC LB and I know mine is not pre-wired. I was looking at the way to throw TPMS out so checked the harness and it does not have half of the cables required. But yours is 09 so who knows they may have put in but with Toyota being cheap on other stuff and copper wire being expensive I would think they would rather spend few dollars on labor in China then install $200 of extra copper that will never be used
Old 12-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #18

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good link. Thank you. The 4 door "Long" bed is not available in Off Road trime . If it had been, I would be driving that instead.
Bed extender
Old 12-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #19
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
shittier means to get somewhere.

Careful now...I came away pretty impressed with it. It walked that bowl on Dickey Bell without even thinking. I look forward to testing it more in the future and further forming my position on it.

That said, everyone saying get lockers is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Lockers will be much less expensive than an A-TRAC conversion (in both dollars and time), allow you to regear at the same time, and put a compressor on board for OBA.

A-TRAC is a great feature to consider if you're in the market for a new Tacoma already. If you're not, don't bother and look at locker options.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #20
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser240z View Post
I have an '09, I thought the deciding factor for the long bed was the transmission not the model? I'm almost sure that I could've gotten the O/R with a longer bed if I got an automatic. Sorry off topic.

As far as A-Trac goes, doesn't it only work when 4lo is engaged?

Scott
That is correct...

In H4 you have TRAC and that is awesome in high range... A-TRAC is the Low Range traction control and it does brake harder any loose tire for über traction control, like lockers provide.

To the OP: If you are going for front and rear lockers, then make sure they are selectable so you can turn them off for steering. The A-TRAC automatically locks/ unlocks loose tires so steering isn't affected, but because of that it makes quite a bit of noise when operating (only when there is slippage, not all the time it is activated).

As much of a fan of A-TRAC that I am, I see no reason (at all) for doing this if it were possible. The after-market lockers you say you are going to get, will get you everywhere.

You could have saved a fortune buying an Off Road as it has the rear locker and A-TRAC. But, if you had to have the longer bed and didn't want the bed extender, I see why the Sport... But surely not for the fake hood scoop and colored bumpers?

If you succeed in installing the A-TRAC, then there is no need for the after-market lockers. A-TRAC provides the traction of lockers, but it makes noise... and isn't "smooth", which seems to bother some here who have front lockers.

I kind of think changing your differentials will be easier than adding A-TRAC to a Sport... But, I would be curious to follow you on this. Maybe search to find if anyone in Japan or anywhere has done it already?

Good luck!