1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote Start installed, but a few wierd issues...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by clintonjeffries, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Dec 7, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    clintonjeffries

clintonjeffries [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    6" stage 1 Procomp lift, 18" matte black XD Monsters, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AMP Research Electric Steps, Grillcraft upper and lower grill, Paint matched tailgate handle, Black headlights w/ black corners & reflectors, 6k HID in heads and fogs, tint, RED badges, red brake calipers, black brake drums, flowmaster exhaust, black shorty antenna, remote start, iPod interface, Weathertech floormats front and rear
    So my buddy and I just finished installing a Compustar remote start system on my truck, he's the mechanical/electrical one, not me, but I helped through the whole process so hopefully I can explain what I'm running into.

Long story short, it's functioning "properly" in that it remote starts. I don't know if we didn't hook up all of the necessary wires or if an accessory one may have been spliced in incorrectly? So when I remote start it, the truck starts but for the first 1.5 seconds or so there is a grinding/whirling noise... kind of like the starter I would think but it doesn't sound exactly like the starter. it's not near as bad as the noise you would hear if your truck was already started and you turned your key forward again... any idea what this could be? possibly the starter? electric fan maybe?

the other thing I'm very curious about, this has more to do with the accessory wire guess I made above... when remote started, the A/C and heat don't come on. I can leave the fan position on "Hi" in the truck but it doesn't blow anything. as soon as I put the key in and turn it to the "on" position so I can drive, the vent system engages instantly. Any thoughts on if this is simply a strange Toyota phenomenon that happens to everyone with a remote start, or if maybe I didn't hook something up right?

2. Dec 7, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    I have a computstar starter and it works perfectly,
    had it installed by dealer or who ever they have do it.
    the heat or A/C work as soon as the truck starts.

I hate to say it , but being a former airplane electrician
    it sounds as you did not wire it correctly.
    sounds like the starter is running longer than needed
    or its not getting the signal the truck has started.

it also sounds like you wired it for the first position of the key
    like the one where only the radio works ???
    that would be why the heat-a/c is not working untill you actually
    put the key in and activate the second position.

I would recheck everything, may-be call compustar for tech assistance

my starter has worked flawlessly, and the range has been very impressive

Good luck

3. Dec 7, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Question?

Does the radio play when remote started?

This would give you a indication that it may be wired wrong.

4. Dec 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM
    clintonjeffries

clintonjeffries [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    6" stage 1 Procomp lift, 18" matte black XD Monsters, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AMP Research Electric Steps, Grillcraft upper and lower grill, Paint matched tailgate handle, Black headlights w/ black corners & reflectors, 6k HID in heads and fogs, tint, RED badges, red brake calipers, black brake drums, flowmaster exhaust, black shorty antenna, remote start, iPod interface, Weathertech floormats front and rear
    Perfect, thanks for your response. This is good to know that you have the same brand starter but that yours works differently than mine.

Yes the radio does work when remote started... what do you think that means?

5. Dec 7, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    yea, you have a wire mix yo somewhere. Same thing happened at my old job on a dakota with remote start. I'd just recheck the connections and check to see as stated above what position on the key turn got spliced into. Thats also my guess.

6. Dec 7, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    Yea , sounds like you have the wrong ignition wire may-be
    I think the starter is powering the 1st key position systems - radio
    and not the 2nd position systems - heater - A/C, etc.
    hopefully you have the correct wiring diagram for your truck.
    wish i could be more help, you will have to back track and recheck everything.

Products Discussed in

To Top