Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Does a salvage title automatically void the warranty?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
GunMetalSteak is on a distinguished road
GunMetalSteak's Tacoma Gallery
Does a salvage title automatically void the warranty?

I have an 07' Prerunner DC LB, I tried to get the TSB - SU006-07 (harsh ride) done and I had no luck because the vehicle is a Salvage title (long story, but the truck runs perfect no problems it is complete restored, I bought it with 6k miles on it, I now have 13k.)

So my question is does a salvage title automatically void the warranty? Is it worth trying to call the 1-800 Toyota number?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalSteak View Post
I have an 07' Prerunner DC LB, I tried to get the TSB - SU006-07 (harsh ride) done and I had no luck because the vehicle is a Salvage title (long story, but the truck runs perfect no problems it is complete restored, I bought it with 6k miles on it, I now have 13k.)

So my question is does a salvage title automatically void the warranty? Is it worth trying to call the 1-800 Toyota number?
im not sure how a salvaged title works, but it may be in your best interest to call the 800 number. they may be willing to help you out. im guessing,with a salvaged title....there is no warranty??
Old 08-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I am gonna guess that with a salvage title you void your warranty.

But I would definitely call the 1800TOYOTA # just incase.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I would guess a salvaged title would void all warranties. A salvaged title means that the truck had extensive damage, the insurance company deemed it a total loss. Sometimes people get these salved title vehicles and fix them up cosmetically, and sell them to some unsuspecting buyer. Many times there is extensive frame damage, which can't be seen on initial inspection. But the frame is also something that protects you in an accident, many times this is compromised. Also, one of the easiest scams to pull on a salvaged title is to replace the airbags with anything. Undoubtedly the air bags have been deployed on this truck. The airbags probably are not operational. These are usually rigged to make it seem like the air bags work. It's risky business buying a salvaged vehicle.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Umm...... not sure how California works - but...

Here in PA - A salvage title means the vehicle was totalled. You can't drive it on the road. You can't get insurance on it and you can't register it.

The only way to make a Salvage Title legal - is to fix and/or repair/reconstruct the vehicle. You then have to get it inspected by the State. If it passes the inspection - you will be issued a *Reconstructed Title* which allows you to register and insure and legally drive it on the road.

You bought this truck with a Salvage Title?

You should consult your California laws & regulations about the legalities of driving a Salvaged vehicle on the road.

Were you able to insure and register it?
Old 08-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
This came up with someone last year, and it is posted that there is no warranty with a totaled vehicle. As far as insurance and operating it on public roadways, it varies state by state as to what constitutes a total into a reconstructed vehicle. Even with a reconstructed title, the factory warranty is void if the issueing State says the vehicle is damaged to the point of a salvage title being issued, but; 2 vehicles wrecked in 2 different states may have a differing standard of what is considered "totaled, so a vehicle in FL, and a vehicle in GA, or AL with the same level of damage may not be totaled in all 3 states. Plus; if any vehicle accident damages a part, even if the vehicle is not totaled will have parts looked at much closer, for instance a frame repair is next to anantilock brake part component that looked OK during repair would not be warranted, it would be blamed on the accident, and so on and so forth. Totaled trucks make good farm, hunting lease, and off-road toys if cheap enough, but can be a hassle for everyday on road use.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
GunMetalSteak is on a distinguished road
GunMetalSteak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

Here in PA - A salvage title means the vehicle was totalled. You can't drive it on the road. You can't get insurance on it and you can't register it.

The only way to make a Salvage Title legal - is to fix and/or repair/reconstruct the vehicle. You then have to get it inspected by the State. If it passes the inspection - you will be issued a *Reconstructed Title* which allows you to register and insure and legally drive it on the road.

You should consult your California laws & regulations about the legalities of driving a Salvaged vehicle on the road.

Yeah I was able to register it and get insurance, On the pink slip it says, "Salvage Title".

There is absolutely no problem with driving it or getting it insured in CA

I know that it is risky business buying a salvaged vehicle, but it saved me a lot of money.
My previous vehicle was a 97 Ford explorer that I bought in 98' with a salvaged title, I just sold it in May 08' and bought my Taco. I had no problems with the Ford for the ten years, expect normal maintenance.

Its truly hit and miss. I am extremely happy with my Taco, and if i cant get TSB done, its not the end of the world. I will probably get Timbrens for the suspension.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

Salvage title out here is probably the same as your reconstructed title. I've had a savage title vehicle out here with no problems.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
taconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nice

taconinja's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to taconinja
BMW replaced the catalytic converter on my reconstructed 1997 318ti under recall. The first dealer said no because it was an R title. I called another and didn't mention the title and they did the $1000 worth of work free of charge. They also thought it was an M3 because I body-matched all the trim and had 17s on it However, it is my understanding that the company MUST warranty the cat 10 years from the date of manufacture according to emissions standards. My Tacoma marks the 50th salvage vehicle we have reconstructed here in PA. New ESI standards require that salvage vehicles undergo a special inspection prior to receiving their reconstructed title. This means you can't just glue airbags back together and slap on some Bondo anymore.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
jrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the rough

Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Jason
jrws6's Tacoma Gallery
Salvaged Title excludes the vehicle from any and all factory reamining warranty wih GM. Once the insurance company "salvages" it a warranty block is entered within GM's computer system
Salvage or Rebuilt Title means Warranty Block.