Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need help with removing steering wheel

Old 12-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Fitz
kjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kjf216's Tacoma Gallery
Need help with removing steering wheel

So a few weeks back i had to have some work done to my truck and they pulled off my steering wheel and put in back on not straight so the wheel looks like im truning to the left when im going straight. I dont feel like dealing wiht the dealership again so i would rather just do it my self so can anyone explain how i would do that. pictures would be a great help.

also talking with a buddy he was saying he has heard of air bag being set off where they didnt go off until the battery was reconnected, do i need to really worry about this?

thanks for any advice
Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
elutheros will become famous soon enough
Air Force: F-4 WSO
elutheros's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a link for the removal/installation of the steering wheel. Just be sure to park it with the wheels straight ahead when you start and keep the front wheels on the ground so they can't move when you are doing this.

Do disconnect the battery negative cable--and if you have an alarm system have your remote in your hand when you reconnect when the job is done as the alarm will probably activate. Press unlock twice to silence it.

After you get the airbag out by backing out the 2 Torx fasteners, I would suggest marking the current position of the steering wheel in relation to the shaft just so you have a reference point. You really don't need a puller to do this. You may have to do it a couple times to get it absolutely straight.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...6ta/044000.pdf

for the airbag removal: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...ta/0470065.pdf

Hope that helps.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Fitz
kjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kjf216's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks thats exactly what i was looking for
Old 12-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #5
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Are you *sure* that they removed and reinstalled the steering wheel, and didn't just perform an alignment that resulted in the steering wheel being off-center?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
Another FNG
cactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud of

cactuscorn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Are you *sure* that they removed and reinstalled the steering wheel, and didn't just perform an alignment that resulted in the steering wheel being off-center?
bingo! or a steering shaft tsb?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
t_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to all
Name: Erik
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
usually the factory has a mark on the steering wheel so if you remove the airbag you can see if they really did remove the steering wheel.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
Angelalorenzo is on a distinguished road
Name: Angela
Angelalorenzo's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone replaced a steering wheel from a 2000 Tacoma pick-up? When replacing the steering wheel with an after-market one, can the black piece be removed from underneath the steering wheel? (Black piece that has the airbag and horn connecter)...only because I can't fit the after-market steering wheel kit for the '96-'04. THANK YOU in advance...
Old 04-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
bruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant future

EMS: EMT/FireFighter
Name: Brian
bruth's Tacoma Gallery
Have you found out how to do this yet? I want to put a quick release whe on mine with no airbag