Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Loud Random Ticking noise from below Taco

Old 12-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
Curtamous is on a distinguished road
Curtamous's Tacoma Gallery
Loud Random Ticking noise from below Taco

Hey All,

I have this loud ticking noise coming from under my truck. SOUNDS LIKE TWO PINBALLS CLANKING TOGETHER. I can't associate it to a particular speed, shift, braking, release of accelator or anything. Seems to be totally random but hear it at lower speeds.

I'm inclined to think it's something with my torque converter?

Looking for any advice. ~Thanks!

(06,2WD,TRD-Off Road, DC)
Old 12-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
My opinion first crawl under there see if you see anything hanging around you might of picked something up, or something came lose.

If you dont see anything, then least your taking a step in the right direction!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Seriously?!!
forsythfd922 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Chris
forsythfd922's Tacoma Gallery
Mine just started doing this today. Did you ever find out what was causing it? Mine is an '09 prerunner 2wd. Sounds like its a valve in the transmission or something to me.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Operator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really nice

Name: Dave
Operator313's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Injectors?
Old 05-27-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
Seriously?!!
forsythfd922 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Chris
forsythfd922's Tacoma Gallery
No, I don't think so. I'm familiar with the "normal" ticking it makes. It initially thought it may be a stopped up or sticky injector, but it only does it in park/neutral when there isn't a load on the transmission or engine. And it doesn't affect the power that I can tell. It sounds like its at the back of the motor/under the truck. I'm going to climb underneath it today or tomorrow and try to find it. Strangely, I didn't notice it until I had driven it appx. 50 miles after changing the oil. And about 30 miles after filling up with gas. Not sure if its a coincidence or related.....
Old 05-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsythfd922 View Post
No, I don't think so. I'm familiar with the "normal" ticking it makes. It initially thought it may be a stopped up or sticky injector, but it only does it in park/neutral when there isn't a load on the transmission or engine. And it doesn't affect the power that I can tell. It sounds like its at the back of the motor/under the truck. I'm going to climb underneath it today or tomorrow and try to find it. Strangely, I didn't notice it until I had driven it appx. 50 miles after changing the oil. And about 30 miles after filling up with gas. Not sure if its a coincidence or related.....
Ummm.......... Are you sure there's oil in it?