Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Cat Back Exhaust installed today, not quite sure what to think...

Old 12-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Chronism has a spectacular aura aboutChronism has a spectacular aura aboutChronism has a spectacular aura about

Name: Michael
Chronism's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Cat Back Exhaust installed today, not quite sure what to think...

Just installed the TRD Cat Back Exhaust on my truck today and not quite sure what I think of it yet. It is louder and throatier for sure, but I just can't quite shake the feeling that it sounds "ricey". I am only going by what I hear from within the cab, have to get someone to drive it and I ride in another car to hear what it sounds like outside the truck. Maybe the problem is I am comparing it to the exhaust I had on my Mustang GT...lol. I know it's not gonna sound like a V8.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
i think the TRD is the best sounding exhaust...but thats just me..........
Old 12-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'm sure the GT sounded way better. Also give it some time to break in before you judge it.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
get someone to drive it for you. granted mine is chopped right after the muffler, but it sounds totally different outside the vehicle.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Listen to it outside the truck. It's a hell of a lot deeper than the drone in the cab sounds. Definitely deep, absolutely no rasp (mine is paired with a TRD CAI...not sure how much that affects the exhaust note).
Old 12-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Chronism has a spectacular aura aboutChronism has a spectacular aura aboutChronism has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I figured as much, planned on getting someone to drive it for me so I can hear it from outside aside from just reving it while parked outside the door.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
i used to have an SS and used to the V8 sound, our trucks will sound ricey no matter what exhaust you put
Old 12-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #8
hardtaco will become famous soon enoughhardtaco will become famous soon enough

hardtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's best to keep these things quiet! LOL
Old 12-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #9
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
Its deeper and throatier for sure outside the cab. It sound way different from inside the cab. I had my fiance drive my truck as I stood outside and I told her to step on it. It sounded good. I love it. Also a fellow taco owner said my exhaust sounded nice as I took off on the freeway.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #10
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

BarefootBandit's Tacoma Gallery
My first truck was a Chevy Blazer with a Flowmaster 40. It sounded way better than my Tacoma does now. It takes time but you will get used to it.

Go out and find a real ricer piece of shit and listen to it's muffler. Then you will see that your Tacoma isn't that bad.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #11

Thanks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it sounds bad by any means, just different than what I am used to. The key is to hear it from the other perspective outside the vehicle.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #12
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, inside the cab does it no justice. I felt the same way about mine when I 1st put it on, but then I heard it outside the cab and love it. Its not going to sound like a v8, but its is a nice mellow tone. And not too loud either. Its just right for me, I don't want to be loud, I just like the nice throaty tone. Its cold now, but in the summer I have all the windows down including the rear slider open and you can hear it then too. My 5yo son likes to call it the monster truck sound! ha ha