1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

squeaking clutch

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bragado, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Dec 10, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    bragado

bragado [OP] Member

Member:
    ill
    Vehicle:
    08 toyota tacoma
    help guys! I noticed this morning when i was getting to work that everytime I let my food off the clutch it started making a squeaking sounds. even when I stopped the truck the noise would start when I let my foot off the clutch with engine running in neutral. it's tacoma w/ v6 6 speed manual.
    i have read horor stories about the throw out bearing. any ideas guys?

2. Dec 10, 2010 at 10:20 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    Lots of our clutch pedals squeak. I agree, it is annoying. It's not the throwout bearing. Search the forum for clutch squeak and you'll find some other threads.

As far as I know there is no "fix", aside from a temporary one: reach underneath the arm of the clutch pedal and you'll feel a threaded shaft that goes into the clutch master cylinder. Turn it with your hand - it has some play and will move. I have to turn mine all the way clockwise daily to keep it from squeaking.

3. Dec 11, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I'm reading your post a little differently than Tack. To me it sounds like your noise occurs while you have your foot completely off the clutch pedal? If that's the case, and the noise goes away when you push the pedal down about an inch, then you have the throwout bearing issue. Plenty of reading on here about it.

4. Dec 11, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    bragado

bragado [OP] Member

Member:
    ill
    Vehicle:
    08 toyota tacoma
    yes, you understood it correctly. Darn! I thought this truck would last forever without issues. it only has 17k mikes and i baby this truck way too much. maybe that's the problem..... not very happy right now.

5. Dec 11, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    there is a little nut behind the clutch pedal you can tighten, it will help for a bit but eventually it starts making noise again. i just learned to deal with it.

6. Dec 11, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    and its not so bad now that its cold out but when it gets hot like 90degrees + its pretty bad.

7. Dec 11, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    At least you should still be under warranty? Mine was out of the 3/36 but still (barely) under 5/60 powertrain. Clutch is not 5/60, but they did cover a new clutch on mine. Been okay for a couple thousand miles now, but I am wondering if it's going to come back. No bellhousing repairs done to mine like many others have needed. Try and read up as much as you can just in case you need to explain the issue to your dealer. :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top