Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

squeaking clutch

Old 12-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
bragado is on a distinguished road
bragado's Tacoma Gallery
squeaking clutch

help guys! I noticed this morning when i was getting to work that everytime I let my food off the clutch it started making a squeaking sounds. even when I stopped the truck the noise would start when I let my foot off the clutch with engine running in neutral. it's tacoma w/ v6 6 speed manual.
i have read horor stories about the throw out bearing. any ideas guys?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
TACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to all

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of our clutch pedals squeak. I agree, it is annoying. It's not the throwout bearing. Search the forum for clutch squeak and you'll find some other threads.

As far as I know there is no "fix", aside from a temporary one: reach underneath the arm of the clutch pedal and you'll feel a threaded shaft that goes into the clutch master cylinder. Turn it with your hand - it has some play and will move. I have to turn mine all the way clockwise daily to keep it from squeaking.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'm reading your post a little differently than Tack. To me it sounds like your noise occurs while you have your foot completely off the clutch pedal? If that's the case, and the noise goes away when you push the pedal down about an inch, then you have the throwout bearing issue. Plenty of reading on here about it.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
bragado is on a distinguished road
bragado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
I'm reading your post a little differently than Tack. To me it sounds like your noise occurs while you have your foot completely off the clutch pedal? If that's the case, and the noise goes away when you push the pedal down about an inch, then you have the throwout bearing issue. Plenty of reading on here about it.
yes, you understood it correctly. Darn! I thought this truck would last forever without issues. it only has 17k mikes and i baby this truck way too much. maybe that's the problem..... not very happy right now.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
there is a little nut behind the clutch pedal you can tighten, it will help for a bit but eventually it starts making noise again. i just learned to deal with it.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
and its not so bad now that its cold out but when it gets hot like 90degrees + its pretty bad.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bragado View Post
yes, you understood it correctly. Darn! I thought this truck would last forever without issues. it only has 17k mikes and i baby this truck way too much. maybe that's the problem..... not very happy right now.
At least you should still be under warranty? Mine was out of the 3/36 but still (barely) under 5/60 powertrain. Clutch is not 5/60, but they did cover a new clutch on mine. Been okay for a couple thousand miles now, but I am wondering if it's going to come back. No bellhousing repairs done to mine like many others have needed. Try and read up as much as you can just in case you need to explain the issue to your dealer.