Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Quick oil change shop Poll: (places like JiffyLube)

View Poll Results: Do Jiffylube type places actually change your oil?
I doubt they change my oil, filter, or use full synthetic when I pay for it. 83 23.38%
I think they change my oil just not with full synthetic. 40 11.27%
I think most of the time they perform the service you pay for. 188 52.96%
I know they perform the serivces you pay for and do a good job. 44 12.39%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #81
morrison14 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: TSgt
Name: Matt
morrison14's Tacoma Gallery
I took my car to a quik lube joint in high school, and they didn't put any oil back in after they drained it. Blown head gasket! Thank god is was a crappy old civic, but I learned my lesson at 16.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #82
leveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
leveltwo's Tacoma Gallery
i hate those places, i will never go to one again
Old 05-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #83
bigblack87 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: firefighter
Name: Tyler
bigblack87's Tacoma Gallery
i used to work at jiffylube last year when i was 17 and truthfully the only person i would have let touch my truck was me! just seeing how they don't have to go through any training showed me how they arent trust worthy
Old 05-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #84
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't read the thread or many of the posts so this is a generalized statement to no one in particular...

I don't care what your situation is, unless you can't walk you should be able to change your own damn oil. Anything else is asking for problems, unfortunately.

I changed my oil in a parking lot with milk jugs once, with minimal oil spillage.

Improvise Adapt Overcome

That being said, I do any service I can, and fortunately after a hell of a time with one tire shop I found a guy I trust to do my alignment.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #86
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
This is the best reading, way better then some novel
I guess people get what they want
Old 07-14-2011, 12:48 AM   #87
2006TRDSPORT
2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
2006TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I am guilty of using these places on rare occasion, and one of the big reasons I QUIT using these places is because I happened to notice while changing an exes oil for her, that the oil filter that had supposedly been getting changed every 3000 miles looked as if it had been on there for years, and was very rusted out. I personally enjoy doing this job myself and KNOWING that my Tacoma is getting proper maintenance so my engine can last a long time. Not to mention it's a very easy task.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #88
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
I was ripped off when I was younger & since then avoid quick oil change places. They are a complete ripoff & over priced. All the news shows have done undercover reports on these places & they ripped them off every time. Jiffy lube was the worst offender.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #89
jsutter has a spectacular aura aboutjsutter has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
jsutter's Tacoma Gallery
I just change the oil myself. This way I know what is going into the engine and I don't have to worry about cross threaded drain plugs, over tightened filters, or to much/little oil. Also, ,it gets me up under the vehicle and I can check for anything else that is wearing out.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #90
skiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
skiracer0112's Tacoma Gallery
I have used Walmart's lube shop for my old truck and have been generally pleased with their service. I used to change my own all the time but I have recently not had the time and its far more convenient in the middle of winter. On top of that it only costs about $10 more than doing a Mobil1 change at home.

The one time I had a problem was when they decided to use compressed air to clean my K&N. I fortunately saw it and pointed it out to the manager as well as the damage and he immediately offered to replace it. Since then I always watch the oil changes being performed and they have never forgotten anything and have always used the correct oil and filter.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #91
nickstone is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
nickstone's Tacoma Gallery
Last time I used Jiffy Lube, they didn't tighten my oil plug and it fell out dumping the oil all over the street on my way home from work. Oil light came on before I realized what was happening. Called the manager the next day and he offered to give me another oil change but he wouldn't pay for me to tow the truck over there. I said no thanks. Now I change my own oil.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #92
pavemobile will become famous soon enoughpavemobile will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 20th SOS Helicopter Mech - Retired
pavemobile's Tacoma Gallery
I don't get much opportunity to post; been pretty busy trying to survive but I saw this thread and wanted to pass some experience along. I know a guy that runs a service spot here in town, not a corporate shop but private. He's old school - I take my own oil and filter to him and he charges me labor only and treats my truck like it's his own. We both win, I support the local folks and I save a little time and get some piece of mind.

I got the 2 year free oil change deal from my dealer; Sullivan Toyota of Wichita Falls. What an incompetent bunch of clowns. They will never touch my truck again. I will drive to another dealer out of town for warranty work. The first time they changed oil, the service tech spilled oil all over the skid plate, frame and the surrounding area. They washed the engine area before I picked it up. No problem, I make messes too, just like everyone. The next oil change, they did the same thing, only worse. I waited this time and when they drove it around for me to pick up and I noticed oil dripping from the skid plate. I always do a look over, this time they didn't even wash it up. When I went in to complain they gave me a bunch of crap about it. I spoke to the dealership owner just to clue him in on my customer experience.

I politely reinforced the word of mouth effect that always comes from experiences like this. OK, wordy but long story short - if you find a place that takes care of your equipment and you trust them, support them. Case of beer on a Saturday, couple dozen donuts for the guys, you know what I mean. Help your local businesses stay healthy. And no, I don't own a business, just want all of us to stay on top!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #93
Old Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old Soul's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a qwik valve (Fumoto) drain plug and do the oil changes your self. How to = 2nd gen oil change link by the man chris4x4 - http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...tml#post124480.

Unless you know someone that works at the lube centers who cares about your stuff do not risk it, it seems that a dealer would be a better choice if you cannot do the changes yourself... even then check under the hood before getting on the highway or at least be adamant that someone has double checked their work before putting the vehicle back into your hands.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #94
j753301 is on a distinguished road
j753301's Tacoma Gallery
i manage a jiffy lube in mass and dont forget these are franchised places.the owner of mine owns 8 in the area and is very aware of the bad publicity we get and works very hard to prove this wrong.we do use what you pay for and do every service as it should be done.but also working on 100 cars per day things do happen and we pay for everything 100%, repairs, rental ,whatever we have to to make it right.most of the crappy jiffy lubes are on the west coast for some reason.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #95
Broseph Stalin will become famous soon enough

Name: Justin
Broseph Stalin's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down get this!

my friend took her car to a jiffy lube and the idiots CRASHED IT into another car there! Not only did they refuse to pay for it, she had to take their asses to small claims court to get her money back.

I used to drive a 1990 BMW 325i. Most epic little unstoppable car ever i might add lol. Every oil change place i ever went was $29.95. The first time i go to Jiffy Lube, thinking it wouldn't be any different, i walk up to the desk to pay and the bitch say's "that'll be $85.99" WHAT THE FUCK??? i just asked for an oil change, not a BJ. I was furious and asked why it was so much. Her response was that "It's a BMW so we have to charge more" My ass if my drain bolt is $60 harder to remove than any other car...and its a 1990 for god sake not a fucking 2010 M3. NEVER AGAIN!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #96
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
I had a buddy go to jiffy lube he got about 10 miles away and the engine started running weird. He pulled over and checked the dip stick. Dry. Called jiffy they had it towed. Ended up the tech either did not put the drain plug in or just put in a few threads any way it did not have one anymore.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #97
Kevin C will become famous soon enough
Kevin C's Tacoma Gallery
I have past experience with Oil Stop with no problems. They once discovered a small leak on a new Solara and suggested I take it to the dealership. Smug ass at the dealership chastised me for going there. After checking out the car, he came back with a sheepish look and his tail between his legs. Turns out Oil Stop found a leak in the head gasket. I said I guess those idiots at Oil Stop were right. He was silent.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #98
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I usually have my vehicles' state inspection done at a Jiffy Lube, but they won't touch anything else.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #99
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
my friend took her car to a jiffy lube and the idiots CRASHED IT into another car there! Not only did they refuse to pay for it, she had to take their asses to small claims court to get her money back.

I used to drive a 1990 BMW 325i. Most epic little unstoppable car ever i might add lol. Every oil change place i ever went was $29.95. The first time i go to Jiffy Lube, thinking it wouldn't be any different, i walk up to the desk to pay and the bitch say's "that'll be $85.99" WHAT THE FUCK??? i just asked for an oil change, not a BJ. I was furious and asked why it was so much. Her response was that "It's a BMW so we have to charge more" My ass if my drain bolt is $60 harder to remove than any other car...and its a 1990 for god sake not a fucking 2010 M3. NEVER AGAIN!!!
I have a house in Goleta and if you are talking about the one near the airport/old town Goleta, they are a racket. I dont know how many college kids I try and warn while I am down there.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #100
2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough

2004tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I installed security cameras in wal-marts all across the Midwest and my first couple of days on the job I was like why are we installing cams in the pit?
Because they are retards and you need video evidence to see what they do down there.