Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Quick oil change shop Poll: (places like JiffyLube)

View Poll Results: Do Jiffylube type places actually change your oil?
I doubt they change my oil, filter, or use full synthetic when I pay for it. 83 23.38%
I think they change my oil just not with full synthetic. 40 11.27%
I think most of the time they perform the service you pay for. 188 52.96%
I know they perform the serivces you pay for and do a good job. 44 12.39%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #101
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
The Tacoma has to be one of the easiest vehicles in history to do an oil change.

I can not imagine not doing it myself. I especially can not imagine taking it to a quick lube joint.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #102
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
The Tacoma has to be one of the easiest vehicles in history to do an oil change.

I can not imagine not doing it myself. I especially can not imagine taking it to a quick lube joint.
... ^^^ ... I started typing almost the exact same thing ... but was called to eat my Saturday evening BLT.

So, I log back on and start to do my post and see the post above ... there must be ESP here ...
Old 07-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #103
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
... ^^^ ... I started typing almost the exact same thing ... but was called to eat my Saturday evening BLT.

So, I log back on and start to do my post and see the post above ... there must be ESP here ...
wise minds think alike.

or, its a southern thing...or should I say, thaang.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #104
Black Sand Mirror
808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
808TRDTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post

^ This.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #105
chewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Josh
chewingonabone's Tacoma Gallery
Will never again go back to Jiffy Lube. Buddy of mine and I drove to Miami on spring break a couple of years back. He had an oil change done at Jiffy Lube. They didn't fully secure the oil drain plug, made it about half way to Miami, and we were stuck on the side of the road! Luckily our Frat brothers from Georgia Southern were close enough to help us out.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #106
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I like changing my oil. Then I know it's done right.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #107
TL;DR BOSS
hour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brandon
hour's Tacoma Gallery
I had a crappy experience with dealership on my very first oil change actually. Giant, clean, professional Toyota dealership. I was able to get them to give me 7 qts of full synthetic for free and a filter, so that I could redo it myself properly. I retrieved this from a local dealership who seemed blown away that I could have had a mishap with the other dealership - such as over a qt low, and 5w30 on the invoice.

I'll probably trust them to do my second oil change in another 2000 miles since they seemed understanding, legit, and educated.. but would I trust a quick lube place? Eh. If you work at one and know the folks - yes. Otherwise, no. I worked at a Sears Automotive for quite some time and all of the techs were really cool and did good work. It wasn't necessarily because they feared any corporate wrath if they screwed things up, or that they followed the very easy to follow instructions on the computer screen to the T - it's because they weren't lazy jackasses. Replace with the proper filter, fill with the correct weight oil, be gentle with drain plug... Sadly you cannot expect this from everyone. You know, after having ridiculously stressful IT jobs, I'd actually enjoy changing oil :P It's not that hard on any vehicle, especially provided a lift. The people that slack on these will be absolutely destroyed when they move on to future jobs that require more attention to detail and commitment.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #108
michael roberts is on a distinguished road
michael roberts's Tacoma Gallery
After reading some of these horror stories, I vote run.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #109
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I like the Superlube places out here in Tallahassee. Never seen anyone keep a garage so clean, and all the guys working there where more than happy to shoot the shit with me and let me watch 'em work.

I'm very wary of Tire Kingdoms, I swear one in Jax messed up a shock on my girlfriends Integra when we left it there for an oil change.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #110
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
I just dont trust anyone with my truck. They might do the service as asked but who knows!? what if they fuck up?! you really think they are going to tell you? hell no! they will let you drive x amount of miles until your shit breaks down and then they blame you!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #111
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I was a shop manager for a huge transmission shop years ago and a guy brought in a Ford Bronco big old 4 speed with a noise in the trans I drove it around the lot and said "there is no oil in the gear box" "impossible" said the owner I just had a service done at Jiffy Lube bottom line it was dryer then a pop corn fart I never did hear the out come but I'm glad the Jiffy Lube shop did not belong to me when he showed up.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #112
06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
06 tacoma owner's Tacoma Gallery
I always take mine to my local Grease Monkey and my parents have taken their vehicles there for years and they always did a great job and never had any problems.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #113
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Back home theres a wee bitty mom and pop carage with cool old memorabilia cokes and snacks and misc junk for sale with tons of ole racing stickers on the door where all the ol guys hang out and bs. He changes your oil filter greases the fittings checks rear end grease water atf or trans fluid and brake fluid for (drumroll...) $7.00.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #114
choyt is on a distinguished road
Name: wayne
choyt's Tacoma Gallery
Like I've said before my neighbor is a service manager for toyota he takes my wifes corolla and my tacoma BUT no one touches the Mustang.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #115
DirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USN Retired
Name: Terry
DirtEater's Tacoma Gallery
I never, ever take a vehicle to the lube shops. Just don't trust them.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #116
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
Back home theres a wee bitty mom and pop carage with cool old memorabilia cokes and snacks and misc junk for sale with tons of ole racing stickers on the door where all the ol guys hang out and bs. He changes your oil filter greases the fittings checks rear end grease water atf or trans fluid and brake fluid for (drumroll...) $7.00.
My parts ... to DIY ... change my oil & filter ... are many times that ...

Old 04-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #117
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Screw jiffylube but i cant beat my dealer in price. Genuine Toyota oil filter and oil change for $19.

I cant get the oil for that much less a shitty fram filter.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #118
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
i work at a mobil express lube and i can tell you, the only time you don't get what you paid for is when someone makes a mistake. In my experience, mistakes happen more often with noobies and the elderly employees.
if you pay for full synthetic, you get it 99.9% of the time. that .1% represents any time an employee makes a mistake, whether they add a quart of conventional or conv/synth blend before realizing they made a mistake or fill up and never realize they used the wrong oil.
what people must realize is that working in a lube shop is extremely monotonous, most of our customers are very very cheap and even think our standard $29.99 plus tax on mobil special conventional (up to 5 qts) and a free car wash, is too much money, so when we get those customers that want to pay the extra cash to properly maintain their vehicle, we try our best to accommodate them. But sometimes mistakes are made.
Also customers (by company policy, due to safety reasons) are not allowed in the garage without invitation, but at my shop, they do it all the, they get in the way, they wanna see what we are or aren't doing. no one enforces the company policy and i'd bet over 1/2 the customers that breath down our necks as we work, don't know about their vehicle or they would be doing their own maintenance. they stand in the garage and stare us down, which can cause a noob or old dude to fuck up alot of the times, cuz the customers are making them uncomfortable. (i guess those customers have trust issues).
Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #119
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
A-Trac changes my oil.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:54 AM   #120
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
i work at a mobil express lube and i can tell you, the only time you don't get what you paid for is when someone makes a mistake.
If this was true then there wouldnt have been a story for Dateline NBC. They found ramapnt crminal fraud in quick oil change retailers.