Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Quick oil change shop Poll: (places like JiffyLube)

View Poll Results: Do Jiffylube type places actually change your oil?
I doubt they change my oil, filter, or use full synthetic when I pay for it. 83 23.38%
I think they change my oil just not with full synthetic. 40 11.27%
I think most of the time they perform the service you pay for. 188 52.96%
I know they perform the serivces you pay for and do a good job. 44 12.39%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
Truckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud of

Name: Dan
Truckn4life's Tacoma Gallery
Quick oil change shop Poll: (places like JiffyLube)

Do you think they actually change your oil?
Do they give you full synthetic when you pay for it or just give you generic?
Do they do a great job and you fully trust them?

These are things I ask myself every time I take my truck to one of these places. I know many go it so they dont get messy or on the older tacomas the oil filters are hard to get to. everyone has their own reasons.

So my story is I like to change my own oil but when I got my new 09 tacoma I was under the impression that b/c I got the extended warranty I couldnt change my own oil b/c of documentation and needing a certified shop, blah,blah. So, Ive taken my truck to the same Jiffy Lube now 6 times. Ive changed my oil every 3,500 miles or 4,000 with full synthetic 5w-20. Manual says I can go to 5,000 but I dont want to push it that far.

Then I decided to post on the great TacomaWorld if I can change my own oil. I was assured my other TW's that if I recorded the date and kept receipts for my oil I would be fine.

So yesterday at 21,000 miles and 3,500 miles from my last oil change I did it myself. Going to Mobile 1 0w-20. When I drained my oil it was pitch black and i mean pitch black. It ran kinda slow and with a warm motor. Only seen oil this black in a few machines that were very old and sat some time. This made me think not only do I hate to go to jiffy lube type places but now I am almost certain they did not change my oil or/and not with full synthetic. Thank goodness I can now change my oil again (not that my dumbass couldnt have the whole time.)

What do you guys think? Anyone here work at a place like this?
Any ideas on how one could actually catch them? Not that I feel like wasting my time to do this.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
I used to work at a oil/tire place.

A lot of people were nervous when they got their oil changed.

I think it depends on who you get I always ALWAYS changed the oil AND the filter.

Have I seen people not do it? Yes, where they reported? Yes.

When someone came to out shop I wanted them to KNOW that what THEY wanted was going to get done CORRECTLY.

To catch them just watch them do it, but dont let them see. I knew people watched me all the time and I just smiled while jamming to my Ipod.

I used to have customers check the oil infront of me and I did not have a problem with that infact some customers I KNEW would check the oil I would have the hood up and have a towel in hand.

Eventually they trusted me, when I quit I hear a lot of people stopped going there. Dont know though
Old 12-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
I would vote for RUN AWAY if it was an option.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....
Mr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the rough

Mr_Torque's Tacoma Gallery
It's like playing Russian Roulette with your vehicle. Sooner or later they will screw up. I feel bad for people that can't DIY. I dealer or good independent shop would be a better choice. Another vote for RUN AWAY!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
Truckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud of

Name: Dan
Truckn4life's Tacoma Gallery
Run Away is a great option! anyone know if I can edit a poll. i just tried to add it in.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
2009 taco is on a distinguished road

Name: juan
2009 taco's Tacoma Gallery
i would never go to jiffy lube or any place like it. my Gf has a ford fusion and they changed her oil when we split up and they forgot to put the oil back in and it blew out the engine. thank goodness it was under warranty. and they never changed her filter i know because the location is super tricky and they didn’t even know where the filter went when i took it in to prove a point..
Old 12-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I used to go Jiffy Lube and I stopped when I started hearing horror stories. My buddy got his oil doneon his Integra there. Then on the way home his car started smoking like crazy. He opened the hood and oil had gone everywhere. He had it towed to the dealer and they told him whoever changed the oil last used a Civic filter not an Integra filter. I also met a guy that managed one and he told me what the workers used to do with the cars. Changing oil but not the filter, making wrong filters work on cars if they out of stock on the right ones and just plain beating on the cars when no one was looking. So to all that I say no thanks. I can change it myself. Oh and you think the dealer is any better? Ha!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
chatapuggy1 is on a distinguished road
chatapuggy1's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down

As I get older, I pretty much pay for everything rather than do it myself. My time is valuable to me these days (had a new baby recently). But I still somehow deal with the hassle of changing the oil in all four of our vehicles, even though it can be a pain in the ass!

Ask my wife. She loved taking her car to EZ Lube every 3K, for years. She would hassle me for always wanting me to do it myself and not having trust, until it happened to her...

We drove up the coast to San Francisco, at the first stop to get a bite, I smelled oil, checked the dip and it was almost out. Couldnt get under the car to see because it was too low (VW Jetta). Filled it up with some temporary from the Shell nearby, another 80 miles later the light came on. I had a strong feeling I knew what it was. Good thing I have 100+ AAA, they tow us to San Luis Obispo where I took it straight to the only VW dealer in town. They put it on the rack and whala! EZ Lube had stripped the aluminum pan so bad and put the black putty glue on it to hold along with a bolt that wasn't even the original!

To shorten this up, 6 months, pictures and invoices from the dealer to corporate and EZ Lube finally gave us our 634.50 for the new pan + installation.

I don't let anyone touch my car if I don't have too, I am the dick that will stand there if I have to the entire time you work on it. I don't care what the insurance sign says, if you don't let me in the back to check out the action, you are not working on my car period. I vote for run away fast.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
I trust my dealer, Jiffy lube not so much. When I get my oil changed be the dealer, and before arriving there I take a marker and write on the filter. When they tell me it's done I look under the hood and witness that the filter has been changed. Has anyone else noticed that the truck runs a touch quieter with fresh oil in it?
Old 12-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.
05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05 TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't let them change the oil in my push mower much less one of my vehicles.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Yotas For Life!
06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
06RedComa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 TRD Sport View Post
I wouldn't let them change the oil in my push mower much less one of my vehicles.
x2 they are horrible, they forgot to put the oil cap on my 4runner back in the day, which happen to be in the middle of dust storm season.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
jaykulas is on a distinguished road
jaykulas's Tacoma Gallery
I had good and bad experience on them.one time the kid said he need to change my automatic trans fluid because its so dirty, i just told him i just need the oil change. my car was manual.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #15
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykulas View Post
I had good and bad experience on them.one time the kid said he need to change my automatic trans fluid because its so dirty, i just told him i just need the oil change. my car was manual.
at that point i would have to politely demand to have my keys back, if not for the fact that he's an incredible dumbass, that he cannot tell the difference between auto and manual, then for the fact that they would try to rip me off in such a piss-poor way
Old 12-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #16
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
There are dishonest people working everywhere. You can get screwed at a jiffylude or a dealer, and you can get great service/work at a dealer or a jiffylube.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #17
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
I know this thread is about jiffy lubes and quick lubes but what about Wal-marts? I had them change the oil in my 04 jetta 1.8T (must use full synthetic). The kid changed my oil and as I watched him close my hood I noticed it would shut all the way. The door to the service area has an automatic lock on it and I couldn't get out to where my car was because there was no one there to buzz me out! All the while this kid keeps slamming my hood like WTF? It turns out the cap to the quart of oil (white) was on top of the battery box (black) and he didn't see it!!!!!!!!!! I finally get out there and I asked the guy to Quit F'n up my car dumbass!!!!!!! I told him to get the store manager asap, I tell him to come with me and explained what happened. Well I get home only to find a nice streak of oil down the side of my car and a puddle of oil under the car from the filter not being tight enough. I call back to Wal Mart and raise hell again. I ended up geating a free oil change and that was the last time I will ever go to a Wal mart for an oil change. I was furious to say the least-sorry for the long rant.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #18
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
I know this thread is about jiffy lubes and quick lubes but what about Wal-marts? I had them change the oil in my 04 jetta 1.8T (must use full synthetic). The kid changed my oil and as I watched him close my hood I noticed it would shut all the way. The door to the service area has an automatic lock on it and I couldn't get out to where my car was because there was no one there to buzz me out! All the while this kid keeps slamming my hood like WTF? It turns out the cap to the quart of oil (white) was on top of the battery box (black) and he didn't see it!!!!!!!!!! I finally get out there and I asked the guy to Quit F'n up my car dumbass!!!!!!! I told him to get the store manager asap, I tell him to come with me and explained what happened. Well I get home only to find a nice streak of oil down the side of my car and a puddle of oil under the car from the filter not being tight enough. I call back to Wal Mart and raise hell again. I ended up geating a free oil change and that was the last time I will ever go to a Wal mart for an oil change. I was furious to say the least-sorry for the long rant.
why would they offer you a free oil change?? after that, i'd be DAMNED if i ever take my car back there, they can take the free oil change and shove it
Old 12-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #19
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Ha ha I think assumption is that if you even consider those quick lube places you are ......<insertcorrect word>
Old 12-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #20
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_111_MDG_BMET View Post
why would they offer you a free oil change?? after that, i'd be DAMNED if i ever take my car back there, they can take the free oil change and shove it
Sorry I meant I got my money back.

Ok round #2

My freinds parents took his sisters pathfinder to Wally world to get the oil changed ( this is when the place was new and everyone in town was trying the Wal Mart express lube out) they left the oil cap off. His dad raised hell and got his money back. A month later they had the oil changed in their new 4-runner, well the same thing happened again! My friends dad went ballistic and the store manager ended up paying for a new Toyota 4-runner oil cap and paying for a cheap temporary one until the Toyota part came in. Also they got their money back. I know what your probably thinking now - my head assplode.