1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Liking the Tacoma and why

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dondo, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Jan 15, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    The TRuck looks and feels BADASS :)

2. Jan 15, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    The taco is a Bad ass truck I wish people would stop crying and trade the tacos in already and go buy ranger or whatever piece of crap truck they think is beter but as for me 5k on this bitch and if ticks or the rides a lil to harsh fuck it it's a truck

Solution for the ticks turn up the radio or put a flowmaster in

3. Jan 15, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    jking3002

jking3002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Scion tC
    Ricer muffler, window tent, trd shift knob.
    I don't understand why so many people have so many issues with these trucks. My 2010 Reg. Cab 4x4 has 13k miles on it and has been taken off-road about 5 times. Probably on trails it should NOT have been on with it's stock suspension and it's stock tires. It was just loaded in the rear with at least 500 lbs and didn't even sag, much less bottom out. It has zero rattles (I just listened HARD for them on purpose. Couldn't stand the silence after about 5 minutes), unless it is due to sympathetic buzz from the radio (things vibrating at the same freq. This is UNAVOIDABLE).

As far as maint. all I do is follow the book, doing EXACTLY what it says, nothing more or less.

I believe that Toyota designed the reg cab, 5 lugger first. The more extras you get on top of that model the more problems you have because all Toyota does is slap on the upgrades after a bit of R and D. Look at things like the Corolla S and XRS. It's OBVIOUS all they are is slapped on crap to make people who want creature comforts pay more money.

I am not hating on Toyota in any way, or on those who aren't satisfied with their 27 thousand or more dollar trucks. They shouldn't have problems right and left. You should be mad that they do. What I am saying is that compact cars and compact trucks with 4-bangers and not a lot of upgrades sold for a cheap price are Toyota's bread and butter. If you want fancy, you probably shouldn't have purchased a Toyota. :cool:

4. Jan 15, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Did you actually mention the TSB to them? I assume you're talking about the lag in downshift at slow speeds that everyone has? If they don't want to do the simple reflash tell them you'll take your business to a different dealer. It's a known problem. I told them about it and they fixed mine no questions asked and knew exactly what I was talking about.

I love my truck. Sure there are a couple quirks here and there, but if you find a truck(or vehicle in general) that has no quirks or issues, please let me know cause I'd be thrilled to drive this miracle vehicle.

5. Jan 15, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    Wile

Wile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    I've owned Fords and GMCs. I was under the hood atleast once every couple months. Then I bought my first Toyota. I've never looked back. The OP might have some design issues with the Tacoma but it willl be the most reliable vehicle he'll ever own.

6. Jan 15, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    jloe

jloe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    syracuse ny
    Vehicle:
    SR5 2.7 4x4
    TRD alloys, Cooper Tires, Clairion sound, Weathertech floorliners,AVS bugshield,Toyota Toolbox,secondary air filter delete,tailgate antitheft mod,Afe pro dry filter,fog light mod Leather interior mod
    I feel the same way man! I'm not crying .I"d turn up the radio but it sucks.The TPMS system sucks was led to believe truck was sat ready but is not.I just bought the truck and am asking myself,What the hell did I just do?:eek: I find out more here than I do at the stealership.What Is there to whine about?I'll just spend $$$ and build the truck I wanted.As for everything else time will tell.

7. Jan 15, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    boxxed

boxxed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road
    i like mine for a lot of reasons, but even more so after the one member rolled his over 2 times and walked away with basically only a couple scratches..

8. Jan 15, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    Even a reputable car company can have a couple flaws with their vehicles and unfortunatley you got one of the few with those problems. mine is a 6 speed and the only issue i have with that is a feel the shift throw was too long easily fixed just ordered a short throw shifter. other than that i think the ride is smooth. for stock it glides over bumps and on and offroad. The truck isnt as tiny as a ford ranger but not as big as a full size. the perfect balance for offroading. plus a V6 and a very plentiful aftermarket selection. Thats why I love my truck.

9. Jan 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM
    qwertypepper

qwertypepper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cam
    canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD sport dclb
    i love the (qwirky) engine braking. my 99 f150 coasted like a biatch and chewd front brakes. fronts would last me 6 month(10,000km), bullcrap, ford couldnt figure it out. the brake dust was terrible on the front wheels, reallly bad! i love the way my 2011 sport slows down when i get OFF THE GAS. i think my breaks will last way longer.

10. Jan 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    JMO
    (OP)sounds like you made up your mind about trading it in. If i was unhappy about a truck that i recently purchased regarding issues that that kealer "said they could not/would not, oh its just the way the truck is" BS. ask to see the service manager, if your problems aren't resolved, go higher and see the GM of the dealer, if that doesn't help, get ahold of Toyota, make a effort to get your problems solved before you give up. I am fortunate mine is trouble free so far, (knocking on wood) i have lifted the truck myself, off roaded a ton....granted mine is plain jane access cab, 4x4 but this is what bought it for. so at the end of the day if your still not happy > take a small financial hit and trade that bad boy in which is causing you anguish and get another dakota or better yet another sierra. I am sure they better built than your tacoma. > rolling eyes..........................best of luck bro.

11. Jan 15, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    Jimsc

Jimsc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab
    Aries Nerf Bars, Cargo Seperator
    There is no perfect truck...if your seeking perfection you will never be satified. I had a 2000 Dodge Dakota before the Taco and loved the truck, but it had its quirks. The Tacoma is a much better truck but it too has some quirks I am getting used to.

12. Jan 15, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Truer words have not been spoken. If you look for issues you will find them..over and over agin..a little noise, a little bump, squeak rattle...

Expect "some" issues, It is rare for ANY vehicle to be completely problem free. Thousand of parts and sensitive electrical components exposed to wind, cold heat, bumps, dust....Given the shear amount of parts being jostled in the elements i am surprised there aren't a whole lot more issues

13. Jan 15, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    olgzr

olgzr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denton, Tx
    This is right on the mark. I had a 2000 F150 prior to the Taco and loved it. The Taco is much better, I only missed the F150 for a week! The only problem I've had was fixed by the spring TSB. I now have 15,000 miles on the Taco and am very pleased with it. :D

14. Jan 15, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Yeah I am one of those who was pleasantly surprised by the softer ride. In by the fact i was completely taken off guard by this truck. I ended up trading a 2010 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L I ahd for a year and a half (huge mistake) key to key for it. The Honda was very hard riding and noisy compared to the taco. One of the reasons I dumped the Honda was the Stiff suspension and road noise. and I really wanted a truck again. I had a Tacoma in the 90's and it was a great truck but did not ride as cushy as this one. Albeit that was a 4WD.

I don't go off roading anymore and use a truck for utility, so I want the utility with a nice quiet cushy ride. The Tacoma has it. There will be no spring replacing here. For the few times I may carry enough to bottom out its worth the nice ride otherwise. Its easy to stiffen suspension...Not so easy to soften it.

15. Jan 15, 2011 at 10:31 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Of interest... you can have both a good ride and firm enough springs to not bottom out when loaded... My 2010 (made at the Baja plant) has three leafs but don't bottom with loads... The same loads that did make my 2005 bottom out. I didn't know about TSBs in '05 and the dealer didn't help... so I invested in Ride Rite air bag springs and Bilstein 5100s on the back... PROBLEM SOLVED! The 2010 is the same truck as the '05 (DC 4WD OR) and the same number of leaves... but obviously better springs!

16. Feb 10, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    10TRDOFFROAD

10TRDOFFROAD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamf
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    10 TRDOFFROAD Quad 4x4
    The reason the quality of the build has gone down(Factory) Is because these truck are not made in Japan anymore. Mine was assembled in Mexico and a friend of mines truck was assembled in Canada. With that being said. They still really are a great tool. Ive had all thoses issues you speak of with my truck (2010 TRD DBL CAB) Vibration in the Drive line, The downshifting tranny, rear leaf bottoming out. Steering clunk off road. And just recently the Blower motor sequel. At one point I thought about the lemon law. Trade it in. Oh ya, Torch it. Then some girl I know said," I'll never buy a new car ever again.Let someone else work all the bugs out first". And I started thinking,shes right! All the stuff that was wrong with the truck was fixable in one way or another. Be it TSB or warranty or as some of the posters do . Just change it yourself.(Single drive shaft) I herd that fixes the drive line vibration. I know easier said than done. all these thing that people mention about these trucks are called quirks. And its a part of buying new. Unfortunately some people able to deal with theses issues better then others.....Oh did I mention that I love my truck...Good luck with yours and if your that pissed off. Sell it and loose YOUR stress.

17. Feb 10, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    2007 DC and i love it. wouldnt want another truck for nothing. only had one problem with the clutch squeaking. new bell housing and clutch assembly and a resurfaced fly wheel under warranty.

Sometimes i just stare out my living room window and look at her broadside in the drive way....i start to think, "what if someone sees me staring" then i think " who cares that damn thing is awesome!"

18. Feb 10, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have had four Toyotas and (a Geo Prism which is a Carolla) 2 trucks one 4 Runner and now a Truck and a Rav 4

I have also had 2 Ford Rangers and 2 ford Explorers. The Toyotas stayed tighter longer. Factory support was second to none back in the day. Resale was very good after 4 years.

The Explorer was as good as the 4 Runner IMO. But resale absolutely sucked.

I buy with an eye towards finances and Toyota is the best buy used IF you can negotiate and find a dealer that has more than one to bait the new buyers with.
    I have never had a Toyota designed product leave me stranded.ever. Cannot say that about the Ranger.

19. Feb 10, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    i call b.s OP

20. Feb 10, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats

What's B.S.? The guy ain't allowed to vent about some bullshit with a new truck?

Products Discussed in

To Top