1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck Engine runs, but truck will not move

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Paige, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Dec 11, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    Paige

Paige [OP] New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC
    For the second time in two months my truck would not move. I started the truck, removed the parking brake, put it into drive, and it would not move. I got out to see if there was a block of wood in front of a wheel, or some other blockage. Nothing. Got back in and tried again, same results. I put the parking brake on, took it off, shifted in and out of park a few times, and then it drove. Everything fine.

Since this is the second time, I think it must be something other then me not shifting right.

Any one else have this problem?

UPDATE: When I tried to drive, the dash light showed it was in D, and it did seem to surge, like the brakes were locked. I also put it in R, and got the same results. It freed itself up after shifting in and out of park, drive, reverse, and putting the parking brake on and off a few times. Next time (I hope not) this happens I will only work with the parking brake to see if it is that, instead of doing two different things.

2. Dec 11, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    i've heard the cable can come off of the automatic shifter.

3. Dec 11, 2010 at 1:28 PM
    SilverTacoZack

SilverTacoZack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    Did the actual lights on the dash indicating shifter position move into drive during all this?

4. Dec 11, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    Does it feel like it's trying to pull, but the brakes are locked? Or does it feel like it's in neutral?

5. Dec 11, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    Eman5pt0

Eman5pt0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    NY
    what they said put it in neutral and see if it moves if it doesn't you drums might have locked up ... and it happened to me once. the drums locked up i adjusted them but adjusted them to much and it wasn't stopping right, so i took it to the dealer and they said they "never heard of that happening before" and readjusted the drum for me. hasn't happened since, if it is the brakes and is under warranty dont mess with it, just call the dealer, they didn't believe me when i told them what happened and only fixed it no charge because my uncle works there

6. Jan 31, 2011 at 2:32 PM
    Winterpeg

Winterpeg New Member

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    08 TRW
    I have a similar problem with my Taco. The rear drivers side wheel would not turn yet the other 3 tires would turn. Problem fixed itself after I left the truck a couple hours and then wheel locked up again! I was not using the parking brake so I engaged it and then disengaged it yet problem persisted. Towed it to dealership and they said they can't find anything wrong. WTF! I will see if this persists but at the time I could not get the wheel to move even after trying to reverse, going forward, and switching to low 4...any other ideas???

7. Jan 31, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    Thucker

Thucker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag. Gray BC LB Sport 4x4
    He did say the truck felt like it surged when he let off the brakes but would not move. My bet is your rear brakes are seizing up from time to time. Open up the rear drums, clean them out, and adjust the parking break cables.

8. Feb 28, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    Winterpeg

Winterpeg New Member

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    08 TRW
    Figured out the problem...turns out an axle seal that was replace 6 months ago needed replacement AGAIN:mad:. Oil leaked into the drum and the cold winter froze the drum up and the brakes seized intermittently. Truck is still under warranty but whats with these axle seals? Haven't been driving this truck hard at all......:eek:

9. Feb 28, 2011 at 11:16 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    strange? So oil made the brakes jam on? That's the opposite effect I'd expect.

10. Apr 7, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    dlope17

dlope17 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 4dr 4x4
    I jus started to get this problem this morning mine felt like it was in neutral drop it into 2nd and nothing put it into 1st then it started to move. Anyone know wut that could be?

11. Apr 7, 2011 at 1:06 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I've had it happen after washing the truck and letting it sit overnight. The truck was completly stuck and after giving it enough gas it broke free whith a load "thunk" noise. Now I make sure and run it around the block after washing to dry off the brakes...hasn't happened since. I've read of others having the same issue after getting the brakes wet when launching boats.

Products Discussed in

To Top