Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dealer sales pitch

Old 08-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Cyclo66 is on a distinguished road
Cyclo66's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer sales pitch

I'm picking up my 2008 Tacoma today (maybe tomorrow). I jumped through all the dealer hoops last night and got the full court press when it came time to finish the deal. They tried to sell me an extended warranty, long-term maintenance, ID tagging, and a $300 version of Rain-x.

I was wondering what people thought about the warranty. I've driven Toyota trucks for about 15 years. That's why I'm buying another, they rarely break. I told the finance guy that and he said the warranty is mainly used for all the 'fancy' new computer/electronic repairs that might come up.

Is it really worth sinking $1500 into this warranty? My gut tells me no but I wanted to see if anyone had experience that pointed the other way.

Thanks!
C
Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
u can get an extended warranty for like 600-800 i think. i'll prolly buy one once i start getting closer to that 36k mark
Old 08-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
You can get one for $800. To hell with paying $1500 for a warranty.

Ask yourself this, do you plan on keeping the truck that long?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Spacedude is on a distinguished road

Spacedude's Tacoma Gallery
Your gut feeling is right. Your factory warranty covers everything for 3 to ? years. If you keep the truck after that, you can then think about getting one.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Every time I bought one, nothing ever went wrong. Every time I DIDN'T, something broke......go figure
Old 08-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclo66 View Post
I'm picking up my 2008 Tacoma today (maybe tomorrow). I jumped through all the dealer hoops last night and got the full court press when it came time to finish the deal. They tried to sell me an extended warranty, long-term maintenance, ID tagging, and a $300 version of Rain-x.

I was wondering what people thought about the warranty. I've driven Toyota trucks for about 15 years. That's why I'm buying another, they rarely break. I told the finance guy that and he said the warranty is mainly used for all the 'fancy' new computer/electronic repairs that might come up.

Is it really worth sinking $1500 into this warranty? My gut tells me no but I wanted to see if anyone had experience that pointed the other way.

Thanks!
C
Wait until the factory warranty is almost up. Then you can decide on whether or not to get one.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
When I bought mine in June... Toyota matched the same APR my Credit Union was going to give me, then the finance guy mentioned a warranty, it was 6 year 75K miles I think, at first I said no thanks thinking he was going to drop a price of $1200-2000 on me.
He asked me just to hear him out and I said ok.. mentioned that they would drop my rate to 5.0% Apr and my payment would be $3-4 more per month so I went ahead and accepted it.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
When I bought mine in June... Toyota matched the same APR my Credit Union was going to give me, then the finance guy mentioned a warranty, it was 6 year 75K miles I think, at first I said no thanks thinking he was going to drop a price of $1200-2000 on me.
He asked me just to hear him out and I said ok.. mentioned that they would drop my rate to 5.0% Apr and my payment would be $3-4 more per month so I went ahead and accepted it.
what was the apr?
here in NJ I need to join somethng to match credit union.

buy a vehicle such a pain in the ass, you have to talk them down on the truck and u can also talk them down the APR also, they want to make much money as possible, there's no law on how much profit they can make so, fight for every penny u earn!! Money dont grow on tree!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
what was the apr?
here in NJ I need to join somethng to match credit union.

buy a vehicle such a pain in the ass, you have to talk them down on the truck and u can also talk them down the APR also, they want to make much money as possible, there's no law on how much profit they can make so, fight for every penny u earn!! Money dont grow on tree!
The apr was over 6... I think like 6.25% or somewhere close to there. I had shopped around at 3 other dealers before this one... the sales guy was real cool, he flat out told me he was on a flate commision so it didnt matter how much i spent or whatever, just to get the deal done... which he did.
$277xx MSRP... down to $23411+ttl
Old 08-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
AZ074x4x4 will become famous soon enough

AZ074x4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Extended Warranty

I bought the Toyota Platinum 7 year 100,000 mile Extra Care plan with $0 dedcutible for my '07 dbl cab 4x4 for $880 from Troy at Greenfield Toyota via e-mail.

TDietrich@FactoryDiscountWarranty.com

There is a post on TN about this program and it's the factory warranty so it's tough to beat. I just bought my wife a 2008 RAV4 and the dealer wanted $1650 for the same warranty and Troy can give it to me for $800
Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #11
Robbie will become famous soon enoughRobbie will become famous soon enough

Robbie's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't take it...as a matter of fact, my dealer didn't push it.