Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do Camper shells give you better or worse gas milage?

Old 12-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
J Rowl07 will become famous soon enoughJ Rowl07 will become famous soon enough
Name: Johnny
J Rowl07's Tacoma Gallery
Do Camper shells give you better or worse gas milage?

Wondering what they do to your gas milage. looking to buy one.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
i never noticed a difference.if so nothing major. bed cover maybe cuz its lighter than a cap????
Old 12-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
JLamb11 will become famous soon enough

Name: Jared
JLamb11's Tacoma Gallery
I see you're in socal. You have a 2nd gen long bed? I have been considering one myself, just don't know where abouts to get them and the $. Gas mileage, I would imagine, would be nothing major. The weight would likely cancel out the lessened air resistance
Old 12-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
J Rowl07 will become famous soon enoughJ Rowl07 will become famous soon enough
Name: Johnny
J Rowl07's Tacoma Gallery
ya i got a tonneau cover on it right now and i still want some bed coverage but just a little more space. i want to trade the cover for a camper shell, and probly pay some difference. i cant afford a new shell, looking for used ones.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

try craigslist
Old 12-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
If you're looking to benefit from increased air flow across the vehicle, go for a LIGHT weight tonneau cover. From what I've experienced, the weight of a canopy pretty much negates any increased air flow.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
I've noticed little or no change +/- with my cap on or off.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
mainerinexile is on a distinguished road
mainerinexile's Tacoma Gallery
On my 1996 Gen 1 (lost it to rusted frame), the cap cost me 2-4 mpg. I also figured out that the tailgate cost me 2-4 mpg. In the summer with no cap and no tailgate, I often got 26 mpg on the 4WD access cab.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Seener84 has a spectacular aura aboutSeener84 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Sean
Seener84's Tacoma Gallery
Didnt notice a difference when I put mine on...
Old 12-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely no dif here on or off, highway or otherwise...
Old 12-13-2010, 02:54 AM   #12
Gauntlet will become famous soon enough

Name: Mike
Gauntlet's Tacoma Gallery
I just put a Leer XR on my truck a couple of weeks ago and have not noticed a change in my mpg. But, I did notice a difference in the way the truck rides, as it added weight.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:58 AM   #13
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
I think that the added weight of a canopy negates the wind resistance advantage. My 2007 with no canopy got worse gas mileage than my 2009 with canopy, but I think it is due to the automatic transmission verses standard. The automatic seems to rev lower in most situations.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
didnt mythbuster do this test?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #15
Machine gun shits

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
they tested tailgate down or up
Old 12-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #16
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
On my first gen, I noticed a drop of about 1MPG. I routinely take it off and put it back on depending on what Im moving and the change is evident.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #17
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
Yes they did, and the truck has it's best fuel economy with NO topper, or cover of any sort. The aerodynamics of the open box provided the best fuel efficiency for the test vehicle.

I have a fiberglass camper shell on my Taco, and I really don't notice much difference in terms of fuel economy v.s. no topper. I do notice slightly better acceleration without it though.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I went from a soft tonneau to a ARE MX Series, the model with the 3" rise above the cab, and noticed no change in highway MPG's but a slight drop in city MPG's. I chaulk it up to the added weight since I added the shell and a plywood shelf the entire area of the bed. The plywood and supports are probably another 75 lbs +/-.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #19
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
I just put a Leer XR on my truck a couple of weeks ago and have not noticed a change in my mpg. But, I did notice a difference in the way the truck rides, as it added weight.
Same for me. Maybe a slightly lower gas mileage. I went from a Tonneau to a shell. However, I did get my highest mileage recently right after I put the shell on (19.1 on Oct 30).

Attached Thumbnails
Do Camper shells give you better or worse gas milage?-fuelly.jpg