1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JBL stereo....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chill6x6, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Dec 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    chill6x6

chill6x6 [OP] Member

Member:
    Looking at Tacomas... I've always get the best sound system I can get in a vehicle so that means I'm looking at the TRD Sport Pkg with JBL audio system. Of course the two closest dealers don't have such an animal in stock and from what I can tell...there are only two or three such vehicles in the Southeast USA. :confused: So that basically means I'll have to buy a Tacoma before I actually see it.. So here's my question... Does anyone have a picture of the JBL head unit? Also...Is there an up-graded amp for the other six speakers and are the other 6 speakers upgraded from stock? I've asked sales staff and as most of you know...I knew more than they did... Thanks in advance!

2. Dec 13, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    chill6x6

chill6x6 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info...I appreciate it!

3. Dec 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    Aod

Aod Ex STi enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    B.
    NorCal/Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Here's a thread with all the info you need on a JBL stereo with the markers. It's almost the same looking except for the small "JBL" squares. The sound tho.......totally different and worth it. I absolutely love mine. Not to mention the added benefit of it coming with bluetooth. If you did want it after you bought one without it, well, you are gonna need a whole lotta money. Best to get it off the lot with it. This thread is for an install, but it shows you the markings. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...ng-toyota-tacoma-factory-jbl-sub-amp-box.html

4. Dec 13, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    How much more are you paying for the JBL version? It's not too difficult to upgrade the speakers and HU in this truck.

5. Dec 13, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    chill6x6

chill6x6 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks AOD! That was EXACTLY what I was looking for! As a matter of fact the truck I'm looking at IS just like yours! TRD Sport Pkg with JBL, towing pkg, Daytime running lights, mats...all in Super White.

It's going to be a company lease so I really can't do much to it.. 2008 Silverado LTZ goes back at the end of the month..

6. Dec 13, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    Aod

Aod Ex STi enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    B.
    NorCal/Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
    You'll love it. I do. I feel your pain on the no JBL in the south. I'm originally from Destin, FL and went back home to look at getting one while I was there. They said good luck in the area. None available.

7. Dec 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM
    Aod

Aod Ex STi enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    B.
    NorCal/Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
    The radio in the link is just a little different. Here is a photo of a 2011 JBL stereo.

IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg

8. Dec 14, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    chill6x6

chill6x6 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks a lot for the pics AOD... That sure helps!

9. Dec 18, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    IMO the factory head units are garbage, no matter how much you pay for them, or what name they want to put on the front.

The Tacoma factory head units are notorious for having problems, the sound quality sucks, and it can cost a small fortune to add on things like an Ipod adapter.

Save your money and go with the standard single disc HU.

After you get it home, jerk the factory HU and speakers out and do an upgrade.

If you shop smart and do the work yourself, you should be able to do a decent upgrade on the HU (single DIN) and speakers for about $500.

10. Dec 18, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    I have JBL audio in my Taco and I feel like the sound isn't much of an improvement over the stock radio. The best premium sound system I've ever heard in my life is a Monsoon found in a Pontiac G6. I'll never forget the orgasm it gave to my ears.

11. Dec 18, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I have a 2010 TRD sport, 6 cd unit with sub in the back, stock. It looks just like the JBL and sounds pretty good to me. Is it a JBL? I cannot find a little JBL square on it.

12. Dec 28, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    Aod

Aod Ex STi enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    B.
    NorCal/Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
    No. No JBL squares/markings = no JBL stereo

13. Dec 28, 2010 at 11:54 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I have the JBL system in mine. Its decent, but the biggest improvement it could ever have was the swap of a Premier head unit. So much more control over the sound its amazing. You'll need an adapter harness for the digital signal to do it, 50-70 bucks. The bass has to be down to use the rear view mirror. I put the sub through an IASCA CD and its pretty much junk. So as of right now I have a Rockford Fosgate 10 in the mail which will compliment the system instead of replace anything.

14. Dec 28, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Btw I still have a JBL stock head unit if anyone wants it for a little $$

15. Dec 28, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I have had no issues with the JBL system. An ipod adapter is $150-I personally don't call this a small fortune.

Throughout the last twenty years of owning cars I fiddled with sound systems, mods, etc. I still do mods from time to time but I am at the point where I don't want to mess with the audio end of it. It's nice to have a decent OEM stereo to listen to compared to the factory garbage a decade ago and I believe many think the same way.

Also the Tacoma JBL system destroys the Premium audio system I had in my '08 Accord EXL.

16. Dec 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    Aod

Aod Ex STi enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    B.
    NorCal/Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
    I am also very impressed with the JBL system in mine. I think it sounds fantastic. I had an STi with the factory "premium sound" in it and the JBL is just leaps above that. I agree with dexterdog in saying it is a really good factory system. I also have had plenty of other OEM "premium sound" systems over the years in addition to the STi and this is the very best by far. The integrated, voice recognition bluetooth is a huge plus also. Very well worth the extra bucks for the OEM look and JBL sound.

17. Dec 28, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    Beerrun

Beerrun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Spokane WA
    Vehicle:
    10 Sedan Sport LB
    Fog light rewire- debadge- front window tint- 5100's @ 1.75- Toytec 1.5 AAL- Avid sliders- 4x4 lighted switch- Sockmonkey decals- Truxedo low pro QT cover- Weather Techs- Back up light Mod. Diff. breather mod. OEM roof rack-Yakima bars. HomerTaco grill. Hella Black Magic Lts. WT vent visors.
    Agreed. I love mine. One question though, does the bluetooth (phone) signal thingy show your signal strength? You know 2 or 3 bars. Mine has the symbol but no bars.

18. Dec 28, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    Aod

Aod Ex STi enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    B.
    NorCal/Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Yes, When my phone is connected to the truck there is a "antenna" icon with bars showing signal strength on the left hand side of the display. I'll try and get a photo up when I get home as I'm at work now.

19. Dec 28, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    Aod

Aod Ex STi enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    B.
    NorCal/Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Here's what the Bluetooth looks like on the front face of the stereo. I usually have more bars than that, but I was in a bad area. But you get the idea. I usually hover around 3 bars or so.

IMG_0736.jpg

20. Dec 29, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    Beerrun

Beerrun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Spokane WA
    Vehicle:
    10 Sedan Sport LB
    Fog light rewire- debadge- front window tint- 5100's @ 1.75- Toytec 1.5 AAL- Avid sliders- 4x4 lighted switch- Sockmonkey decals- Truxedo low pro QT cover- Weather Techs- Back up light Mod. Diff. breather mod. OEM roof rack-Yakima bars. HomerTaco grill. Hella Black Magic Lts. WT vent visors.
    Thanks Aod, I'll have the dealer look at this next time it's in for service.

Products Discussed in

To Top