1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeaky Clutch Pedal...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MotoXFreeStyle61, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Apr 15, 2009 at 8:51 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    unless it's the change in the weather, that got the job done, thanks a lot!

2. Apr 16, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    papabear050

papabear050 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 dc 4x4 TRD OR Auto
    Mine used to do it in all types of weather. It hasn't made a peep since I tightened down the rod. Hoping that's the long term fix.

:)

3. Apr 29, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    jrws6

jrws6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07, Dodge Ram 35004x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel 6M
    I tried geasing the cylinder, and it didnt work for me, I used some MPL(PB blast or WD40) on the SPRING ABOVE the cylinder and it fixed it instantly.

4. Apr 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Was it a METAL clutch pedal this time instead of the damn plastic one?

5. May 13, 2009 at 6:45 PM
    lcadman

lcadman New Member

Member:
    Is there a TSB for 2000 models? This seems like something Toyota can never get right. I have had it squeak for nearly forever now and I am at 90k. The dealer even replaced the entire clutch, and that only lasted so long...right after the warranty went out, it came back. Go figure.

6. Aug 19, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    jauntee

jauntee Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Uxbridge, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma, 2WD
    2007 Red Tacoma Access Cab, 2WD, manual transmission
    When I traded my 96 Tacoma in and bought a new 07, I was sure my squeaky clutch pedal was history. Not so. At 22000 kms, the old squeak was back, exactly the same, in my new truck. So I became a squeaky wheel with Toyota Canada and ended up with a whole new clutch pedal assembly, replaced under warranty. Perhaps it will last another 22000 kms before starting to squeak. There does not seem to be a permanent fix. I'm betting that Toyota has been using the SAME clutch assembly since the early 90s, in spite of many complaints and countless internet reports on the problem. The Toyota mechanics all know about the problem, and will freely talk about it, but the official line from the company is that they are unaware of it. The action I got must have cost them plenty, so I recommend that, if your vehicle is under warranty, go after Toyota and insist that the squeak be fixed, even if it is only a temporary solution. If they have to replace enough clutch pedal assemblies perhaps they will finally do a redesign. In almost all other respects I love this truck, but that squeak can drive you nuts!

7. Aug 20, 2009 at 5:45 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Yes the Gen 2s squeak just like the Gen 1's did. Why they didn't fix I dont know. This was my only problem in 4.5 yrs of ownership.

But I havent heard a peep out a mine for 2yrs now... I simply turned the black cap on top of the piston rod 180 degrees, added a dab a lithuim grease on the nipple. Havent touched it since.

8. Aug 20, 2009 at 6:45 AM
    jauntee

jauntee Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Uxbridge, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma, 2WD
    2007 Red Tacoma Access Cab, 2WD, manual transmission
    Thanks, I have looked at your fix and will give it a try when this new pedal assembly starts to squeak -- as I am sure it will immediately after the warranty expires. This company has produced fine products, but on this point they have their corporate heads in the sand.

9. Aug 20, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    DorsoDoug

DorsoDoug Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Greater Pittsburg, PA (Ohio River Valley)
    Vehicle:
    '08 AC SR5, 2.7L, 4 x 4, Black Sand Pearl
    Rear TSB, 1.75" 5100s, 265/70/16 TRD BFGs, Anthracite FJ TRD wheels Toyota Seat Covers, Killer Toyotal All-Weather Mats, Black Window Tint
    Thanks for the pdf of the TSB. I will be taking mine in for repair as it continues to get worse. I will now mark the bolts in some manner and then check to see if the dealer didn't just hit it with some spray lubricant....
    Not that I don't trust them. In all honesty, my dealer has really done me right on a couple of things unrelated to this Tacoma, including my daughter's Corolla. But I'll still check!

10. Aug 21, 2009 at 6:00 AM
    hans2

hans2 Member

Member:
    Dealer declined any TSB actions for my '09 squeaky clutch pedal. Squeak is coming from the pushrod shaft portion of the slave cylinder. Silicone spray quieted it briefly. I'm having better luck using the grease applicable to transmission input shafts and other hi-temp sliding surfaces.

11. Jan 24, 2010 at 10:32 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    Okay, the squeak is back. I've had the clutch assembly replaced twice, and that's after Toyota's attempts with felt (really?) and lube. It's like clock work: every 5,000 miles, the squeak is back.

I'm due in to the dealership this week and I'm going to ask them about this again. Has anyone come up with a long term solution that doesn't involve swapping for an automatic tranny?

So irritated.... Is this something that would warrant a Lemon Law claim?

12. Jan 25, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    hwork50

hwork50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Clemente
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 AC
    DTRL, Skid Plate, Bed Extender, ipod hook up in glove bo, bed mat, rubber mats, Garmin GPS, 2.5"Toyotec lift with 5100 shocks and Eibach springs.
    I am right there with you. This totally sucks which is why I just turn up my stereo in hopes that I do not hear it. SHould be so simple, but I guess it isn't.

Let us know what you find out.

13. Jan 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    Jimbo

Jimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07_4x4_Access Cab_V-6_Manual-6_Silver Mica
    None yet
    Mine is still there too. Seems to be much less noticeable in the winter cold, but wait till things warm up. The darn clutch will creak and squeak going in and out (I'm talking loud to). Very annoying. I'm out of warranty now, guess I'll try a fix myself when it gets unbearable again this summer.
    If its not the clutch its the fan motor in the cab doing the constant cricket chirping thing on the 2 lowest speeds. That is very annoying also, but that's for another thread, forgive me.
    Too bad, besides that, I'm good with my Taco.

Jimbo

14. Jul 9, 2010 at 5:20 AM
    hossbuilder

hossbuilder Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Bushnell, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunneer SR5 4 cyl
    I am amazed after reading all the posts that Toyota hasn't found the cure for this. I have a 2010, Tacoma, PreRunner, SR5, 4 cyl, 5 speed manual with a scant 3,800 miles. My clutch pedal started creaking a couple of weeks ago. So...I started doing research on the Forums. I was surprised to learn that this is a very common problem. And, the TSB calling for replacement of the entire pedal assy doesn't fix the problem according to the experience of many owners. So, I started by doing the normal backyard mechanic thing and I saturated all the pivot points as best I could with lubricant. This made absolutely no difference. I continued to research the problem and found on one of the Forums where an owner simply rotated the pushrod entering the clutch master cylinder one quarter of a turn. This is easy to do so I tried it. My creak was immediately gone.

It is now my intention to try to get the parts department guy to show me a pedal assy and the plunger / top of the pushrod so I can see for myself the design and determine what the friction interface is.

If the creak comes back I want to have a plan / design to fix it permanently.

I never take my vehicle to the dealer. I do all my work myself.

15. Jul 9, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    hossbuilder

hossbuilder Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Bushnell, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunneer SR5 4 cyl
    Update:

Surprise, surprise non of the dealers in my area have the pedal and pushrod in stock.

So, if it starts creaking again, I will have to take the pedal assy out of the vehicle and figure it out then. I don't like that option as it will lay up the vehicle until I engineer a fix.:confused:

16. Aug 24, 2010 at 11:32 PM
    efmugen

efmugen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pasadena,CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4-banger
    am I turning the push rod clockwise or counter clockwise?

17. Aug 25, 2010 at 4:19 AM
    hossbuilder

hossbuilder Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Bushnell, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunneer SR5 4 cyl
    I just made a guess and I turned my counterclockwise as that was the easiest thing to do.

Mine began to creak again and I did the exact same thing. I turned the rod about 1/4 turn. The creak goes completely away. I sure would like to have a pedal and rod to look at so I could figure out what is going on. Since this simple procedure fixes it for quite awhile, I am not motivated to take it apart to see what is going on.

18. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    hwork50

Member:
    San Clemente
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 AC
    DTRL, Skid Plate, Bed Extender, ipod hook up in glove bo, bed mat, rubber mats, Garmin GPS, 2.5"Toyotec lift with 5100 shocks and Eibach springs.
    This sounds like something I could do. Could you describe this procedure a little more in depth, if you would not mind.

Thanks,

Brent

19. Aug 29, 2010 at 4:10 AM
    hossbuilder

hossbuilder Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Bushnell, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunneer SR5 4 cyl
    I'll give it a try. Move the driver's seat back and lay on the floor on the driver's side. Look up at the clutch pedal and you will be able to see the clutch master cylinder below the clutch pedal and towards the front (firewwall). With a bright light, you can see the push rod running down from the pedal into the master cylinder. At the top of the rod, very close to the pedal assembly, you will see the rod has a place for an open end wrench and a locknut. I put an open end wrench on the lock nut and rotated the entire assembly (locknut and push rod) about 1/4 turn.

Why this works I have no idea but it takes the creak away for quite awhile.

Good luck.

20. Aug 29, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    hwork50

Member:
    San Clemente
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 AC
    Did not work for me, bummer.

Brent

Products Discussed in

To Top