Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Whats wrong with my tailgate?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
762x51taco is on a distinguished road
762x51taco's Tacoma Gallery
Whats wrong with my tailgate?

So my tailgate has a hard time closing, and I can see where its hitting. I am just wondering what is causing this. Bent tailgate? Are the 09s even covered under the bent tailgate TSB?

I do carry a 500lb quad in the back from time to time and the back is on the tailgate due to the DC reg bed size, but that shouldn't hurt anything. Its not too big of a deal its just kind of irritating. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It is hitting like this on both sides, no contact in the middle

Old 12-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Just looks like it needs adjustment. I dont have my truck here w/ me, but check out the mounting tabs on the sides. Loosen it, see if you can pull it further away from the bed when its in the lowered position. If not, yea, might have been bent a little from loading/unloading?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762x51taco View Post
Are the 09s even covered under the bent tailgate TSB?
No, they are not
Old 12-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
Just looks like it needs adjustment. I dont have my truck here w/ me, but check out the mounting tabs on the sides. Loosen it, see if you can pull it further away from the bed when its in the lowered position. If not, yea, might have been bent a little from loading/unloading?
Pull the bed liner that is on the tailgate farther toward the top of the tailgate? I do ride the quad up there so at times there can be 680 or so on there, but I would like to think the tailgate could handle that.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pull the bed liner that is on the tailgate farther toward the top of the tailgate? I do ride the quad up there so at times there can be 680 or so on there, but I would like to think the tailgate could handle that.
I thought the tailgate was rated for 200 pounds, no?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I thought the tailgate was rated for 200 pounds, no?
Ya it looks like that it is. And now that I think about it the quad really wouldn't taco in the middle as the weight of it is mostly on the outer sides of the tailgate by the cables. Oh well I guess ill just have to live with it.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
My '08 did that after helping a friend move... Granted, he's like 265 plus the TV he was putting in the back.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
If you can't adjust the gate , I bet you could get yourself some clearance with a piece of 36 grit sandpaper ( belt sander belt works best ) and some elbow grease .
Old 12-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
Thanks, I will have to try that. I would like to know what exactly Toyota did to the 09, 10 tailgates and the TSB tailgates to make them different from the older weak tailgates.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks, I will have to try that. I would like to know what exactly Toyota did to the 09, 10 tailgates and the TSB tailgates to make them different from the older weak tailgates.
They are supposed to be reinforced , but are still only rated for about 200 lbs .
Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #12
chatapuggy1 is on a distinguished road
chatapuggy1's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 09' and never had a load in the back as of yet, I am about 215lbs and when I climb on the tailgate to wash the truck it seems real flimsy so I stand on the corner where it seems meatier.

I notice a TSB through the 07's and it has part numbers on it. Do you think I could just go down to the dealer and order those part numbers and put the pieces in myself rather wait for this thing to bend on its own?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #13
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Has that truck been hit from the back before?