So I know there seem to already be a lot of people who have done this, but I also keep seeing people talking about breaking their badges in the process of removing them. I figured as a new member, I'd do my part to contribute and document my 1st mod to my new truck...It's a work in progress as I'm not completely done, but I'll continue to update.
1st-get a hair dryer and some heavy duty fishing line. I don't know what gauge this is but if it's too thin (like the first type I used) it will just continue to snap in half.
Then heat up the badges
Starting at one end, just use the fishing line like floss and slide it back and forth
It seriously took me 15 minutes to get all the badges off once I had a strong enough fishing line, it's really simple. Since my truck is brand new, the leftover adhesive was very easy to just rub off by hand as well
I'm painting mine black so I first sanded all the badges to rough up the chrome and allow the primer to adhere a little better
Also make sure to remove any leftover adhesive on the back of the badges before you start painting, this way you don't have to be trying to scrape crap off and worry about messing up the paint job. A razor blade worked perfectly for this
I'm using a rustoleum automotive primer, krylon fusion, and a valspar satin clear coat. I'm also painting the front emblem, but using the flat black rustoleum, with the glossy rustoleum clear coat.
So that's what I've got for now. About to apply the final satin clear coat layer and will wait to reapply to the truck until tomorrow, but will post more pics once I get them on.