Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Write Up: Badge Removal, painting, and reapplication

Old 12-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
nrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
nrm's Tacoma Gallery
Write Up: Badge Removal, painting, and reapplication

So I know there seem to already be a lot of people who have done this, but I also keep seeing people talking about breaking their badges in the process of removing them. I figured as a new member, I'd do my part to contribute and document my 1st mod to my new truck...It's a work in progress as I'm not completely done, but I'll continue to update.
1st-get a hair dryer and some heavy duty fishing line. I don't know what gauge this is but if it's too thin (like the first type I used) it will just continue to snap in half.

Then heat up the badges

Starting at one end, just use the fishing line like floss and slide it back and forth

http://s720.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=PC140438.mp4
It seriously took me 15 minutes to get all the badges off once I had a strong enough fishing line, it's really simple. Since my truck is brand new, the leftover adhesive was very easy to just rub off by hand as well

I'm painting mine black so I first sanded all the badges to rough up the chrome and allow the primer to adhere a little better

Also make sure to remove any leftover adhesive on the back of the badges before you start painting, this way you don't have to be trying to scrape crap off and worry about messing up the paint job. A razor blade worked perfectly for this

I'm using a rustoleum automotive primer, krylon fusion, and a valspar satin clear coat. I'm also painting the front emblem, but using the flat black rustoleum, with the glossy rustoleum clear coat.

So that's what I've got for now. About to apply the final satin clear coat layer and will wait to reapply to the truck until tomorrow, but will post more pics once I get them on.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good. Same way I did mine.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
JUST FYI for Others:
If the excess adhesive doesn't come off the truck easily, I recommend the 3M Stripe Off Wheel, takes it off in seconds.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
papabear050 will become famous soon enough
papabear050's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of adhesive to use when you reapply?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
nrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
nrm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear050 View Post
What kind of adhesive to use when you reapply?
3M double sided molding tape. You should be able to get it at most automotive stores or Lowes/Home Depot.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
Banned
toothaker1219 is on a distinguished road
toothaker1219's Tacoma Gallery
For lighter colors, I would advise put the tape on the back side of the emblem, cut out the parts that would show (crevasses), paint, remove red backing and stick back on.

That way you don't see black in-between the letters that don't need to be there