Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Windshield washer jets

Old 12-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
kpinks is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
kpinks's Tacoma Gallery
Windshield washer jets

For some reason, just lately, my windshield washer jets are not working, obviously because they are frozen or something. Has anyone else encountered this problem. I even store my truck in a garage.
Thx
Kev
Old 12-15-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
Damit man
BoTacoGA is on a distinguished road

Name: Bo
BoTacoGA's Tacoma Gallery
It just dropped below freezing yesterday here in GA an mine haven't worked since. Still frozen maybe?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 AM   #3
reg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shed
reg boulette's Tacoma Gallery
Use a small pin or needle on the jets to free them up. Noticed mine iced up a lot more quickly on this truck than other vehicles. Also, check hoses under hood for freezing.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:48 AM   #4
nhgranite will become famous soon enoughnhgranite will become famous soon enough

nhgranite's Tacoma Gallery
use good washer fluid. rated at -20f at least.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I use the rain x with the antifreeze in it. No issues.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Crooked Beat is on a distinguished road
Crooked Beat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinks View Post
For some reason, just lately, my windshield washer jets are not working, obviously because they are frozen or something. Has anyone else encountered this problem. I even store my truck in a garage.
Thx
Kev
I keep a poppy from Nov 11 in my truck for the wiper jets. Heat it up on cigar lighter and put the pin in the jets
Old 12-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg boulette View Post
Use a small pin or needle on the jets to free them up. Noticed mine iced up a lot more quickly on this truck than other vehicles. Also, check hoses under hood for freezing.

DO NOT STICK A PIN IN THE JET!!!!

you will be buying new ones soon if you do that. get some de-icer spray, and some good antifreeze washer fluid, they also have additives for it for reallly cold climates.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
How cold does it really need to get? I've had my truck in -45C with -40C Rated fluid and I never had any issues.

Unless you forgot to take the summer crap out this is a non issues.
Not the jets fault.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Just dump some anti-freeze fluid on them...the same stuff you SHOULD be using in the tank. I really like the Rain-X anti-freeze with bead technology. It doesn't freeze and I don't use my wipers in the rain.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
someone needs a sig change
ehh...only one of them is gay blue...we'll let them fight it out to see which is which

we all know it's SGB
Old 12-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
nhgranite will become famous soon enoughnhgranite will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
ehh...only one of them is gay blue...we'll let them fight it out to see which is which

we all know it's SGB
i can only imagine witch one
Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgranite View Post
i can only imagine witch one
Old 12-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post

it will be satin black some day.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
LOL...I just noticed... Well mine is passenger side, his is drivers.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #15
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
LOL...I just noticed... Well mine is passenger side, his is drivers.
and you have a manly blue
Old 12-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #16
blackbox will become famous soon enoughblackbox will become famous soon enough
blackbox's Tacoma Gallery
First new 2010 I got, washer didn't spray, figured it just needed fluid, bought some, didn't help, finally noticed that the hose that goes to the jets (on the hood, underneath it, passenger side) had not been pushed onto a connector and it was disconnected, so it sprayed basically onto the ground. Check the hose connections from the tank to the jets... Also listen near the tank to see if the pump runs, a helper person is useful for that.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:36 AM   #17
reg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shed
reg boulette's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
DO NOT STICK A PIN IN THE JET!!!!

you will be buying new ones soon if you do that. get some de-icer spray, and some good antifreeze washer fluid, they also have additives for it for reallly cold climates.
WTF???Bull shit - Have been doing this for 40 odd years, including 5 years in Canada's arctic....average winter temp -30 celcius, no problems. De-icer spray might work for door locks but will not work its way into ice frozen in tiny spaces.

I like the idea above about heating pin on the cigarette lighter - thanks!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:57 AM   #18
daggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nice
daggertats's Tacoma Gallery
the one on my driver side didnt work for a cpl days when the temps didnt get above freezin but yesterday parked out in the sun all day thawed it out and it worked fine
Old 12-16-2010, 05:15 AM   #19
kpinks is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
kpinks's Tacoma Gallery
Washer jets

OK, I ran the truck in my unheated garage last night for about half-hour with the idea that once the truck warms up, maybe it will de-thaw the clog. There must be summer fluid in the bottom of the reservoir which is frozen. But now I don't know how to get it out of the reservoir?
Thx
Kev
Old 12-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #20
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E5 Machinist Mate - USS Downes San Diego Cal.
Name: Nick
Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
I've notice that there are many opinions concerning this issue and most if not all have some merit. I agree that we cold climate folks should use washer fluid appropriate for the climate, the lower the freeze temp the better. However once frozen, thermodynamics comes into play, we just need to raise the temp of the fluid above it's freeze point. Your body temp is 98.6 and simply holding the fluid lines between your hands will thaw them, not necessarily the best approach but it will work to thaw, they will refreeze if you don't improve the quality of the fluid and flush out the bad. Using a hair dryer is even more effective. The chemical hand warmers that can be purchased at sporting goods stores can be used to apply heat to the lines. etc. etc. The best is to prevent it from freezing all together. Now if your in a climate that is extreme, just add a bit of denatured alcohol to the fluid, once you find the right proportion alcohol to fluid you should be fine. My experience washing windows in the northeast is a 50-50 mix of alcohol and water wont freeze but it could be different for you area. A mix of alcohol and water in the right proportion will not freeze either. Just my opinions and you know what they say about opinions don't ya?